vegan garden - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

vegan garden. http://Shakahara.com/garden6.html. I had one in late 90's early 2000's. Was very successfull at growing all kinds of food but it did not work out economically. High real estate taxes on the land contributed to making it hard to work out economiclaly.

I need partners, help in finding more land and developing new vegan garden. This tasted so much better than organicly grown. The soil smelled so much better. Made me feel healthier and more energetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Beginner

I need to find out how to do this. I have done organic gardening with compost and organic fertilizers, but I don't believe they were vegan. What do you add to the soil? Or do strictly use vegan compost? What products can I use to fertilize if I don't have enough compostt going for my plants yet?
#3 Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

It is easy to be strictly vegan, as commercial "chemical" fertilizers and pesticides are all vegan. If you want to be vegan, and you also want to be strictly organic, then you are very limited in what commercial products you can use as so many of them contain animal matter, or simply are not labeled with what they contain. There is natually mined sodium nitrate, which is close to 100% sodium nitrate and no different than "non-organic" sodium nitrate made from Haber-process ammonia. However such naturally mined sodium nitrate costs much more and you may not be able to get it locally in small quantities. So to be vegan and "organic" ("veganic") you have to make your own compost and use cover crops and green manures. If you want to be sustainable, you don't have to be strictly organic. But then there is no commercial product you can use whatsoever. The idea of sustainable is that there is no input from outside. So you are back to compost green manures and cover crops, but you can't buy anything to compost, you must collect it from your own land. If you want to be strictly vegan but are not concerned about being strictly organic ("veganic") or strictly sustainable, but want to move in that direction, then you can use as much compost and green manures and cover crops as you can, plus any nitrate or ammoniacal commercial product, or commercial urea - all made from haber process ammonia. Plus phosphates and potassium are widely available in "natural" form or processed form (which don't meet regulations for being "organic;" they are naturally mined minerals which have been chemically treated to make them weigh less, and be cheaper to ship. The act of chemically treating them makes them not "organic." Haber process ammonia while not acceptable for "organic" or sustainable, is vegan. As far as pesticides go, commercial pesticides are all vegan, but some are "organic" and others are not.

To make compost in huge quantities, you can use tree leaves. You can collect the leaves that people rake up, and compost them, along with small amounts of vegan food scraps. If you live near the sea you can collect seaweed. You have to limit quantities due to its sodium chloride content. Some plants can tolerate more NaCl than others. To be strictly sustainable you can't even buy seeds because them come from outside. But as a practical matter, they contribute only a tiny percent to the total mass of materials involved.

Haber process ammonia while not "organic" is made from aerial nitrogen combined with the hydrogen from natural gas (or coal or petroleum) at high temperature, in the presence of a catalyst such as ozmium. It is vegan.

Tree leaves tree leaves tree leaves. I would suggest composting as many as possible. To an extent, you can also work them into the soil directly. Trees bring up minerals from the subsoil, which plants with shallower roots cannot reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, if you were thinking California, I work with a group in the South SF bay area, called Committee for Green Foothills, and I know they do some stuff to protect agricultural land. If you're interested, I could probably get you in contact with them.
#5 Old 05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Thanks imdead-goaway. Preserving land for agricultural use and preventing other kinds of development, to prevent the disappearance of farmland, is a worthy goal.

No matter which way land is acquired, either by buying land that is allowed, by law, to be be used for any purpose, including farming, or for the purpose of developing houses or shopping centers, or alternatively, by buying land that is may legally only be used for farming, we are likely to need investors. Virgin land or land that has lied fallow for a dozen or so years, is preferable, as land that has been used for commercial, non-soil-sustaining farming (land rape), or organic farming (land gluttony), may both have problems. As may land used for housing, or industry. Commercial farms will have depleted soil and may have collected damaging chemicals which are hard to remove. Organic farms may have developed a lopsided ecological balance due to the presence of excessive amounts of decaying animal matter and the kinds of micro-organims that are supported by such soil and thrive in it.

The best land for veganic agriculture is, unfortunately, forest land. The soil already has topsoil from accumulation of leaves. The wood from trees that are removed can be used both for building and as mulch. Desert land can be used but it takes water which may be expensive in a desert. Influx of ogranic matter from outside can speed up the change from sandy desert soil to a good tilth, faster than it happens with dependence on cover crops, which will require several years of growing them and turning them in or otherwise incorporating them into the soil.

I think mountain land is a good idea as it can be cheaper than flat land because it is harder to utulize, esp if machines are used. I have a good idea how to construct terraces and a preference for smaller machines, including smaller walk-behind tractors rather than large riding tractors. These are handy on narrow terraces. Since they don't have to carry a person, they require less fossil fuel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page