Hot chili peppers? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought a hot chili pepper plant today! I do not know what kind other then hot chili. It is so cute! I have no clue how to take care of it though. If I can grow this I may try a habanero next.

I live in Florida. I am not so good at keeping plants alive also.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Give it lots of light and water. The more light it receives, the hotter the peppers get.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#3 Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

deleted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, by the way, did you know they need sunlight?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

It is in a pot right now but I think replanting it would be best. I need to ask sister where I can plant it (and if) in her yard. I am excited to attempt this.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

deleted

#7 Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew a single habanero in a 5 gallon (20 liter) tub and it produced plenty of peppers. Peppers fresh off the vine may be slightly hotter than the ones you get from the market. And the green ones are mostly just as hot as the orange ones. They turn orange on the vine or, if you pick them green, they turn orange over the course of a few days.

Oh, and the more sunshine, the hotter!
#8 Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I've never grown peppers, but... I have found that plants in containers, grown outside, dry out really fast. You live in Florida, so if you decide to keep it in a pot, you'll be busy keeping it watered. (I just had to be contrary and mention water instead of sun...)

I know potted plants are more often killed by too much water than too little, but that's generally if they're kept inside.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

First batch.

I have a bunch still green and a few blooms.

What should I do with them?

Marilyn Monroe
#10 Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Pickle! Or dry.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#11 Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Puncture each one several times with a fork and then immerse them in a small jar w/vinegar.

Or in a bottle of Vodka.
#12 Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barilko View Post

Puncture each one several times with a fork and then immerse them in a small jar w/vinegar.

Or in a bottle of Vodka.

OH my vodka sounds perfect!

Marilyn Monroe
#13 Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

First batch.

I have a bunch still green and a few blooms.

What should I do with them?

heh. congratulations! i'd cook with them for sure .
#14 Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Those look so tasty! If you get habeneros, just be careful when picking them. My uncle wasn't using gloves and went to the bathroom promptly after picking some. Let's just say oops.
#15 Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I bought a hot chili pepper plant today! I do not know what kind other then hot chili. It is so cute! I have no clue how to take care of it though. If I can grow this I may try a habanero next.

I live in Florida. I am not so good at keeping plants alive also.

I am in Florida. I live in the Port Saint Lucie area. I am going to start some plants soon. Hot peppers are said to tolerate the heat better. Well if more light makes them hotter we are going to have some really hot peppers.
#16 Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Drying the leftover peppers is great for saving them. Just run a needle and thread threw them until you've filled whatever your length of string, and hang 'em up.. I usually have them readily available hanging in the window above the kitchen sink. I was meaning to start a full-scale garden this year, but the weather, my days off, and proper planting times never seemed to want to work together.. probably gonna wait until I move into a more permanent home now (I'm currently renting) so my efforts will be fruitful for more than just one season. My dad always has a garden though, and in the least a small pepper garden (chilis, Thai chilis, habaneros, jalapenos, etc... no peppers for the weak ) in the flower bed on their back patio. I gots all kindsa useful information on growing peppers if ya need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page