antherium help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

i bought one at home depot as an impulse buy. years ago i got a seedling as a present and it thrived until in overnighted it from hawaii to florida where it died a month later.
i think this one's dying. i got it with multiple flowers and lots of green leaves and now all the flowers are dead and half the leaves have turned yellow within a week.
i had it inside in indirect light and in its original pot, including the decorative one. i don't think i've overwatered it and the soil feels moist. i've now moved it outside and took it out of the decorative pot.
what does it need? do i change the soil? and if the light helps i won't be able to keep it outside once it gets cold. i can't let another plant die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Most of the time when I bring a new plant home it goes through a period where it drops leaves from the shock of a new environment. With Antheriums, If I'm not mistaken, they need pretty high humidity. I don't know where you live but a lot of plants do not thrive with indoor heating during the winter. You said you moved it outside so it sounds like you live in a warm area. I would not repot in the winter, wait until the spring. You probably will not see flowers again anyway until next spring. I hope your plant perks up!

www.sharksavers.org
#3 Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how anthuriums do outside of hawaii... when I lived there, they were EVERYWHERE. I have no advice for you, I'm afraid, but I love anthuriums!

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the replies.
i ended up repotting it a few days ago. i even went as far as rinsing off the roots. no more leaves have died since then. i think the soil it came in was too dense and held too much moisture. i'm in florida and it's still warm and semi humid. i know they will drop some leaves when they're moved but pretty much half its leaves and all the flowers died in less than 2 days and the rest were starting to go as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I don't know how anthuriums do outside of hawaii... when I lived there, they were EVERYWHERE. I have no advice for you, I'm afraid, but I love anthuriums!

where were you in hawaii? i was in hilo for 4.5 years.
the one i had in hawaii had a single flower year round. it'd grow a new one just when the current one died. it spent 3 month in winter getting rained on all day and all summer in direct sunlight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page