VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Other Countries (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/27-other-countries/)
-   -   Netherlands (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/27-other-countries/6214-netherlands.html)

Michael 08-17-2003 09:43 AM

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

doola 08-17-2003 10:53 AM

Maybe a EUROPE thread would be better?

Vegantastic 08-17-2003 11:54 AM

There are a few dutch people on this forum. I think it is better to make it a Europe forum. And if it is growing bigger you can split it up?

Finlay 08-17-2003 03:48 PM

There's at least 4 Dutch persons , but I agree: one Europe thread (excluding the UK, for which there already is one).

Damn Britons, don't they want to be part of Europe?

Azalea 08-17-2003 05:08 PM

I feel a little left out here. Can I hang out with you Dutch people, yes ?

Finlay 08-18-2003 02:14 AM

Sure .

Azalea 08-19-2003 04:31 PM

You Dutch people are so sweet

doola 08-22-2003 12:03 PM

I'm not Dutch neither, therefore the suggestion.

GhostUser 08-23-2003 05:09 AM

I'm Dutch too.

Vegantastic 08-23-2003 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post

I'm Dutch too.

groetjes, Alex

GhostUser 09-03-2003 09:50 AM

Hi!

I'm from Belgium (the Dutchspeaking part) and I often visit a board for veg*ns from both Belgium and the Netherlands (that's where I know Vegantastic from), so it feels quite natural to join in here.

Question: is there anyone here who knows both the Netherlands/Belgium and some other, different country well enough to compare them when it comes to, e.g., the number of veg*ns, availability of veg*n products, availability of veg*n courses in restaurants and snackbars, responses/reactions of family/friends/strangers to veg*ns, and so on? I'm just curious. I'm particularly interested in the US (since I've studied American Studies - but veg*nism was not a course ), but I'd like to know about other countries, too.

doola 09-03-2003 03:34 PM

Anya, I can only tell you about Germany, but a comprison with many other countries would be great.

I found differing numbers, but the latest study found that 8% of Germany's population are vegetarian - while it is 2.5 % in the US. Yay!

As a comparison: in 1983, only 0.6% of the German population was vegetarian! Just imagine what it will be like in another 20 years then..

I found an article that said that 1% of the World population might be vegan. I say it must be more, considering how many people are on the verge of starvation. These people sure have a vegan diet, although of course not by choice.

Something interesting is that according to a recent study, veg*nism increases with education. 17% of the university students in Germany are "vegetarian". I can't tell you about veganism overe here though.

so: vegetarian:

Germany - 8% ... USA - 2.5% ... other countries?

Wanda 10-08-2003 03:16 PM

missbelgium 10-14-2003 07:09 AM

Hi, newbie here, from Brussels (Flemish/Dutch speaking).

My SO is Dutch but that does not make me Dutch (bannish the thought, LOL !)...

I agree about Europe. It does not make sense to classify per country. Maybe try CONTINENTAL EUROPE, as opposed to the UK ?

Kim (missbelgium)

Starshine 10-25-2003 10:19 AM

Michael, what honour to be priviliged with our own thread.

But it's true enough that a thread for Europe (Britain excluded indeed, as they already have their own ) in it's entirety seems more appropriate.

Still good to see some more Dutch people here The same, of course, goes for people of other nationalities who seem to associate themselves with "us Dutch folk"

PeepingTom 11-05-2003 03:26 PM

Has anyone been to the Green Planet Cafe, Spuistraat, Amsterdam? I came across it in April, but didn't have time to stop for a meal as I had to rush back to Schipol. I believe that it is fairly new? It opened last year?

Vegantastic 11-07-2003 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepingTom View Post

Has anyone been to the Green Planet Cafe, Spuistraat, Amsterdam? I came across it in April, but didn't have time to stop for a meal as I had to rush back to Schiphol. I believe that it is fairly new? It opened last year?

I don't know exactly, but I think Green Planet is already there for more years.

I haven't been there.

Their website: http://www.greenplanet.nl/

PeepingTom 11-07-2003 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegantastic View Post

I don't know exactly, but I think Green Planet is already there for more years.

I haven't been there.

Their website: http://www.greenplanet.nl/

I'm sure it wasn't there in May 2002, the previous time I was in Amsterdam!

xratgirlx 11-19-2003 02:15 PM

Hello everyone, I live in Antwerp in Belgium. And I also agree with the people who sujest to make a Europe thread

Azalea 01-06-2004 04:35 AM

Hey

I'm a European refugee in the Netherlands thread too

xratgirlx 01-13-2004 07:19 PM

hmmm this thread looks kinda dead

Wanda 01-13-2004 08:13 PM

Well, start it back up and I'll join you.

chiaraluna 01-13-2004 10:16 PM

Well, here's one American who is willing to keep the Netherlands thread alive.

Wanda 01-14-2004 09:38 AM

So, have you ever been to the Netherlands Chiaraluna?

Finlay 01-14-2004 10:44 AM

*Assists in the reanimation effort*

Wanda 01-14-2004 12:14 PM

Well, yesterday a teacher was shot in the Netherlands.

I was just in complete shock.

It's not a nice way to start up a thread again, but it's the main thing that's currently on my mind.

chiaraluna 01-14-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post

So, have you ever been to the Netherlands Chiaraluna?

No, but I'd like to visit someday. It looks beautiful -- and I have a good friend whom I'd like to eventually meet that lives there.

Have you, Wanda?

chiaraluna 01-14-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post

Well, yesterday a teacher was shot in the Netherlands.

I was just in complete shock.

It's not a nice way to start up a thread again, but it's the main thing that's currently on my mind.

Shot by a student, I assume? That is horrific... I cannot imagine ever intentionally taking a life, particularly that of someone that I knew in any respect -- esteemed, hated, or otherwise.

xratgirlx 01-18-2004 05:32 PM

I heard about that too

Wanda 01-18-2004 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

No, but I'd like to visit someday. It looks beautiful -- and I have a good friend whom I'd like to eventually meet that lives there.

Have you, Wanda?

I spent the first 23 years of my life there. I guess that makes me Dutch.

I haven't been back the last 6 years though.