China - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#151 Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I'm minoring in Chinese studies at uni

My foreigner friend told me that Chinese is hard to learn, haha...
But hope you can succeed. Good Luck.
Happy New Year.

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#152 Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion View Post

China is one of the fastest developing nations in the world but is still mainly agrarian. China will become the next superpower along with all socialist inclined countries after capitalism runs its course. Chinese movies are on par with international standards. hmm..what else? well of course, Chinese women are beautiful!

Thanks so much for your high comments. Canada is also a beautiful place. My junior school English teacher is from Canada, she is beautiful and kind. She introduce a lot of things about Canada. I love your country, thanks.

Happy New Year

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
#153 Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

ni hao, everyone.

I'm fascinated by chinese medicine, especially the parts about chi. Its interesting how chi energy parallels Western notions of ley lines.

ni hao, hehe...
Thanks for your interesting to Chinese medicine, yes, it is mysterious and fantastic. And some parts still can not be explained or can not be understood by some western countries.
At last, hope your inquiries can be solved.
Happy New Year.

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#154 Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
MOD POST:

A new China thread was started. I have merged this with the China thread we had already. It's an interesting country, but one thread is all it gets for now.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#155 Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

MOD POST:

A new China thread was started. I have merged this with the China thread we had already. It's an interesting country, but one thread is all it gets for now.

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
#156 Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryM6 View Post

My foreigner friend told me that Chinese is hard to learn, haha...
But hope you can succeed. Good Luck.
Happy New Year.

Well, I'm learning SLOWLY on my own right now because I don't start school till next August. It's pretty easy though because the grammar is almost identical to English. Also, you don't have to conjugate verbs and there are no tenses. The hardest part of the language is probably memorization of the characters. Also, another aspect that is confusing is that Chinese has four tones and a word can be pronounced the same but depending on what tone it is (you have to listen carefully to the speaker) the word can have different meanings.


So, what's the deal with smoking in China? I'm reading China Underground and pretty much all of the people the author talks to smokes and he also mentions chain smoking. He talked to one guy who supposedly smokes 5 packs a day. And then he talks about how everyone smokes inside buildings. That kind of scares me cause I hate smoke.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
#157 Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Well, I'm learning SLOWLY on my own right now because I don't start school till next August. It's pretty easy though because the grammar is almost identical to English. Also, you don't have to conjugate verbs and there are no tenses. The hardest part of the language is probably memorization of the characters. Also, another aspect that is confusing is that Chinese has four tones and a word can be pronounced the same but depending on what tone it is (you have to listen carefully to the speaker) the word can have different meanings.


So, what's the deal with smoking in China? I'm reading China Underground and pretty much all of the people the author talks to smokes and he also mentions chain smoking. He talked to one guy who supposedly smokes 5 packs a day. And then he talks about how everyone smokes inside buildings. That kind of scares me cause I hate smoke.

I hate smoke in public place, either. Yes, some people in China are really terrible like somking. But five packs is horrible, and this kind of people are seldom. Anyway, I never meet this kind of person. Recently years, Chinese government issued some rules to prohibit people smoke in pubic, but barely satisfactory. I guess there are some points that still some person smoking in public.
1. Cigarettes industry still have a big percentage in Chinese GDP.
2. Although the rules has been issued, the enforcement is weak.
3. China has a large population, and people have a big pressure on living. Moreover, cigarettes is kind of way to release pressure.

However, you have no necessary to worry about it too much. Smoking area can be found everywhere in China, as long as you avoid those places in building, you will never be annoyed. Take it easy.

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
#158 Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryM6 View Post

I hate smoke in public place, either. Yes, some people in China are really terrible like somking. But five packs is horrible, and this kind of people are seldom. Anyway, I never meet this kind of person. Recently years, Chinese government issued some rules to prohibit people smoke in pubic, but barely satisfactory. I guess there are some points that still some person smoking in public.
1. Cigarettes industry still have a big percentage in Chinese GDP.
2. Although the rules has been issued, the enforcement is weak.
3. China has a large population, and people have a big pressure on living. Moreover, cigarettes is kind of way to release pressure.

However, you have no necessary to worry about it too much. Smoking area can be found everywhere in China, as long as you avoid those places in building, you will never be annoyed. Take it easy.

Yeah I found this:
http://current.com/news-and-politics...rette-city.htm

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
#159 Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Yeah I found this:
http://current.com/news-and-politics...rette-city.htm

Yes, I totally agree with it. And Chinese smoking problem worse than the US. But we need time to change it, thanks. US also solve this problem with a long time.

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
#160 Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Newbie
 
CaryM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Oh octopus cards and free wifi on buses, how I miss thee.

yes, it is comfortable, but the rate of coverage of wifi is not enough.

Two heads are better than one.
CaryM6 is offline  
#161 Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Newbie
 
FrenchGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 54
I hate China because it's the worse country in the world with animals, humans (with North Korea) and the environement.
I really don't want to go in China and I know animals lovers (in France) hate China. We always talk about China and the cruelty in China more than other country because It's the worse country.
It's a very good thing for chinese people don't speak french.
What's wrong with China ?
Shame for China !
121938 likes this.
FrenchGirl is offline  
#162 Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
otomik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchGirl View Post

I hate China because it's the worse country in the world with animals, humans (with North Korea) and the environement.
I really don't want to go in China and I know animals lovers (in France) hate China. We always talk about China and the cruelty in China more than other country because It's the worse country.
It's a very good thing for chinese people don't speak french.
What's wrong with China ?
Shame for China !

how much have you had to drink?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras
Quote:
Today, France is by far the largest producer and consumer of foie gras


* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
otomik is offline  
#163 Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
deedaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Hi... im new in Shanghai, i study in Fudan university. Im a vegetarian for 2 and half years, would love to meet up and gather with same passion lifestyle friends in fudan university. contact [email protected]
121938 likes this.
deedaz is offline  
#164 Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 15
Humm, this post seems not so active. I'm Cholig, a mongolian who grew up in Nanjing and have been vegan since last year. Nice to meet you all!
121938 likes this.
choligeetu is offline  
#165 Old 01-26-2017, 12:47 AM
Bandit
 
Thalassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 544
What is wrong in modern China? While the philosophy of Lao Tzung or Taoism is beautiful and many Buddhists are vegetarian, China appears to be harboring a disgusting death culture that makes the West look tame. ..supposedly psychopaths are more common in the US, but I find that hard to believe in country that boils live cats, eats or cooks other animals while still living, and even murder other humans in traffic hit-and-run because death is cheaper than paying the medical bills of an injured pedestrian.

Is this mainly in Beijing or other large cities? Is this really the influence of Chairman Mao? Chinese vegetarians and vegans please help me understand because Taoism is a beautiful philosophy and these articles I have read are extremely disturbing.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Thalassa is offline  
#166 Old 01-26-2017, 07:30 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
What is wrong in modern China? While the philosophy of Lao Tzung or Taoism is beautiful and many Buddhists are vegetarian, China appears to be harboring a disgusting death culture that makes the West look tame. ..supposedly psychopaths are more common in the US, but I find that hard to believe in country that boils live cats, eats or cooks other animals while still living, and even murder other humans in traffic hit-and-run because death is cheaper than paying the medical bills of an injured pedestrian.

Is this mainly in Beijing or other large cities? Is this really the influence of Chairman Mao? Chinese vegetarians and vegans please help me understand because Taoism is a beautiful philosophy and these articles I have read are extremely disturbing.

I witnessed some cruelty, and some serious poverty, when I visited China. However, because I've never really lived in China, I asked my Chinese-born wife to talk about this. She was born in northern China in the late 1960s, and she lived in China until 1999. Her family lived through the oppressive years of the Chinese Cultural Revolution, and they lived in poverty for years (her family is now doing well in China).

According to my wife, China has much less human-to-human violence than the United States. There are no gun ownership rights in China. Regular citizens aren't allowed to own firearms, period. That isn't to say that wealthier people (both law abiding and criminal) can't get them illegally, of course.

The United Nations' data appears to agree. According to the UN Office on Drugs and Crime's International Homicide Statistics database, the murder rate in China is only one-fifth that in the United States: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5

I have certainly heard of violence towards animals in China. However, per-capita meat and fish consumption in China is only one-half that in the United States: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...at_consumption . Unfortunately, as China becomes more affluent, people are consuming more meat. The Chinese government's latest dietary recommendations call for a reduction in meat consumption (warning: article contains pictures of meat): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6b6e72097953

When I visited China with my wife, I did witness some shocking things. In certain parts of China, public buses only come a few times a day, and they pack them tightly! This kind of scarcity can lead people to become aggressive. I saw a respectable-looking, 70-something lady wear a violent look on her face as she pushed and shoved her way onto the bus.

Also, I saw rabbits being sold as pets, but each rabbit was in a cage that was barely larger than its body. To prevent the rabbits from going crazy in the cages, the sellers gave sleep drugs to the rabbits.
Thalassa likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-26-2017 at 07:43 PM.
David3 is offline  
#167 Old 01-27-2017, 02:52 AM
Beginner
 
affter333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 102
If you can read chinese,

Here are so many chinese vegan recipies..

Site 1:
http://www.recipe01.com/?category_id...=1&per-page=24

Site 2:
http://www.dachu.co/user/nodes?user_...=1&per-page=24


-----------
affter333 is offline  
#168 Old 02-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: PEI, Canada
Posts: 151
I have the greatest respect for the AR activists on the ground in China and am thrilled that they are taking on the issue of fighting the dog eaters (and cats too). I would hate to be a vegan in that country because of the kinds of abuses that are everywhere there, live, screaming and out in the open!

Marc Ching of California (Animal Hope and Wellness) is doing wonderful work there too, going in and posing as a potential business partner to those horrible people and rescuing dogs that have been brutalized, buying up slaughterhouses and helping some of them to reestablish in other non-animal businesses. He has also taken numerous videos of the torture (which has broken his heart over and over again) and faced violence and several beatings too as the dog eaters discover his real agenda. And a few weeks ago was testifying before a small group in Congress and seeking support for condemnation of the animal abuse that is so prevalent there.

But other than the activists, I think the Chinese culture is morally bankrupt. I don't know what their problem is or which of their leaders might be to blame for that lack of humanity, but the majority, even if not actual abusers themselves are as apathetic about that torture as our 'masses' are about the abuses and torture that our so called food animals receive in this country. Western countries at least make a pretence of caring. And yes, I am both cynical and always angry about how animals are treated by humanity. We are like a virus that spreads to kill the host.

Last edited by 121938; 02-01-2017 at 06:50 AM.
121938 is offline  
#169 Old 02-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: PEI, Canada
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryM6 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Rotoshave

ni hao, everyone.

I'm fascinated by chinese medicine, especially the parts about chi. Its interesting how chi energy parallels Western notions of ley lines.


ni hao, hehe...
Thanks for your interesting to Chinese medicine, yes, it is mysterious and fantastic. And some parts still can not be explained or can not be understood by some western countries.
At last, hope your inquiries can be solved.
Happy New Year.

Chinese medicine???? Is there an avatar or smiley that shows me laughing myself sick? Rhino horn, elephant skin, tiger penis's....tiger bone wine, dog meat for a cold day, cat meat for a hot day....? Mysterious, no, brutal, yes. How about eating healthy plant foods and caring about one another instead.

And I am pretty sure that instead of looking at the things that I've said, you will be moved to focus on the fact that I am not being positive about 'Chinese medicine', but I am not disrespecting you or any other Asian person here. I have the deepest respect and admiration for you because you folks are proof that change and growth is possible in any person no matter where they are from. Even more than here in the USA/Canada, you are swimming against a terrible tide of violence so you are amazing.

I just happen to expect better from and hope for better from every country. Naturally, this means that I am ever disappointed in not only your government and the citizens of China, but my own government and countrymen as well.

A Member of Parliament recently put forward Bill C246 in Canada (meant to strengthen animal cruelty laws across the country) and that bill died in Parliament because our government didn't want to step on the toes of the farmers (they want to continue to abuse animals as per 'industry standards' and the hunters and trappers who want to kill wild animals using whatever means they chose, no matter how cruel (leg hold traps, etc.).

So while I am signing petitions for the eyes of your (ex?)government and being as vocal as I can about China's abuses, I would urge you to support petitions to Canada to quit slaughtering thousands of baby seals or to quit shipping live pigs from Alberta to Hawaii without food or water for a week. Let my government know likewise that people from all over the world are watching how we treat animals.

Last edited by 121938; 02-01-2017 at 10:32 AM.
121938 is offline  
#170 Old 02-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: PEI, Canada
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by FrenchGirl

I hate China because it's the worse country in the world with animals, humans (with North Korea) and the environement.
I really don't want to go in China and I know animals lovers (in France) hate China. We always talk about China and the cruelty in China more than other country because It's the worse country.
It's a very good thing for chinese people don't speak french.
What's wrong with China ?
Shame for China !


how much have you had to drink?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras
Quote:Today, France is by far the largest producer and consumer of foie gras

Popcorn????

You're right, every country has it's abuses. BUT in China and other Asian countries, they openly brutalize them and then justify it by saying it improves the taste.

Maomao was a beautiful, young golden retriever who was stolen from her loving family, sold to a restaurant and the sound of her screams brought rescuers to the sidewalk in front of that restaurant where the owner had her tied to a frame as he was cutting her legs off and skinning her alive. When someone tried to stop him and buy her from him, he refused it and said he does this so that when somebody orders a dog meat dish, it is fresh. He was cutting chunks of meat off her body while she was alive. That is China! That is Asian countries!

Yes call out every country for their abuses, but do not minimize any one of their cruelties because someone else is doing something bad also.

And I will warn you, this link shows exactly what Maomao's last hours were like. It is heart breaking and it is real and it goes on every day. Yesterday I saw another pair of photos of a Chinese restaurant with two dogs laying in the back hallway, unable to escape even though not tied because their legs had been cut off.

http://www.heroviral.com/maomao-dog/
121938 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off