Italy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 Old 09-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Ciao, vegetariani!

I'm visiting Italy soon, and I was wondering how easy it is to find vegetarian places to eat. I'll be in Rome mostly, but I also want to explore the smaller hill towns. My diet is simple; as long as there are fresh fruits, I'm happy. But it would be nice to check out some restaurants, too. Grazie

Anche, sto provando ad imparare parlare italiano (evidente?) Del consiglio?
#3 Old 01-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Non abbiamo qualcuno dall'Italia sul VB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 AM

TRANSFUGA NEL WILD WILD WEST AMERICANO
#5 Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Finally!!! I'm going to Italy in February!!!

You have to understand Italy was practically my first word once out of the birth canal. I studied the language (and the men ) for 6 years in school. I won Italian poetry and cooking awards, but nothing has satiated my thirst.

Anyway, now I get to go during Carnivale. I'm going to Venice, Ravenna, Padua, Verona, Lake Como, Pisa, Florence and Cortina.

The second I decided to go (mentally) an Italian man "noticed" me on one of my veggie dating sites. This trip is so destined. If I like it enough and figure out why I am so drawn to Italy, I could get my job to transfer me there in the next few years. I'm bursting at the seams you guys!!

Maybe I'll even meet that Italian vegetarian. I've found 2 separate Italian vegetarian "societies". The Italian Vegetarian Society and the Association of Italian Vegetarians. They both seem to say that there is still a big problem with schools, hospitals and government agencies not offering a suitable vegetarian option. However the restaurants, fast food places and even gas stations offer viable veggie, vegan, and even macrobiotic alternatives.

I don't see any issue with my trip. Wish I knew I was traveling with more veggies. Maybe I'll post something on one of those Italian boards and see if someone wants to sign up for a vacation in their own country.
#6 Old 04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Beginner

Ho trascorso un anno in Italia e la mia famiglia è siciliana. Mangio la cucina vegetariana siciliana! DELIZIOS'ASSAI!
VeganRealm likes this.
#7 Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM

I'm going to Rome in February, does anyone have any advice?
#8 Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Ma certo!

Vegetarian and Vegan is pretty easy in Roma. Real Italian cuisine is plant based

Stay at the Beehive, a veggie hotel/restaurant near Termini station. http://www.the-beehive.com/

For eats, try L'Insalata Ricca near Capo Fiori, Arancia Blu on San Lorenzo, and Margutta near the Spanish Steps (direction of Piazza del Poppolo on a side street to the right).

Be very, very careful that you are not pickpocketed on the metropolitana - they are world class thieves. I used to watch people get robbed every day and before you can react, they're gone.

If you are going to the Vatican museum, go early, don't take the audio guide (which you must backtrack to return), and once you are done in the Sistine Chapel, go out the back door which takes you right into St Peters.

Stroll down the via del Corso at the end of the day (as the Romans do)- its great fun.

Enjoy a late sunny afternoon on the Piazza Navona.

Go buy some fresh veggies at Campo Fiore - but get there early!

Set aside a full day for the Colosseo and Palatine Hill but start at Palatine and buy your day pass there (the line is much shorter). Then, when you go to the Colosseo, bypass the long lines by going to the left of them and going straight in (with your ticket). Decent eats nearby are avaialble at Cafe Studente (up the steps behind the Colosseo metro stop) or at The Sitar (Indian) across the street in the direction of Piazza Venezia.

I used to live in Rome and still live in Italy so send me a PM if you need more info. Non ce problemi!
#9 Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

For anyone who can read Italian, be sure to check out our local veggie goddess Veronica's blog called Vegan Si Diventa (Becoming Vegan):

http://vegansidiventa.blogspot.com/

Veronica puts up a few new tasty recipes a few times each week.
#10 Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM

I actually just got back from an Italy trip that focused mostly on Rome, and I ate at two nice vegetarian restaurants in the area.

Il Margutta Ristorante- someone mentioned this in a previous post, but it's a very chic restaurant. i actually brought some meat eaters along and one ordered seitan and loved it. their vegan cake isn't that good though, but oh well. it was nice eating there, overall.

Bio Forneria e Gastronomia- this one is actually in Sorrento, and it's delicious. it's very small, quaint, and not-touristy. so the prices are quite low. i got dinner with a full plate of food, dessert, and a drink for about 10 euro. and everything is delicious, changes day to day, and is organic. highly recommended. oh, and delicous apple spelt cake in italy while on a school trip? yes please.
#11 Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginner

This isn't really vegetarian-related, but if you get stuck in Pisa overnight and can't shell out 140 Euro for a room, the floor of the train station is surprisingly comfortable!
#12 Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Hey everyone! My family and I arrived safely in Italy. I have only eaten food that I have brought so far, so I am OK. Apparently I am the only one who brought an Italian phrasebook or studied any Italian, but that was food mostly. Can anyone give me veg*n items that will be on ALL menus? I don't really know where I am in Rome I am, I think we are staying really close to Vatican City.
#13 Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Umm, if you eat dairy, you can have tomato, mozzarella, and basil; simple, but ridiculously tasty!
#14 Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Ciao Vegetiriani!

Io sono parlo un po l'italiano...!
#15 Old 07-23-2009, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I am going to Rome for my birthday with my boyfriend in September (I don't want to organise a party, so i decided to get out of the UK!). Its his first time, but i went a few years ago.

Since then, I've become muuuuccch more aware and stricter about 'secret' animal products. I love love love pizza with all my tiny heart, but everytime I am in a restaurant anywhere, there is always a 'huh?' or language barrier (I speak some French, but my French lessons at school traumatised me!) about whether the cheese contains rennet.

So, does anyone know of any restaurants in Rome that use mozzarella that doesn't contain rennet? I don't just want to be having marinaras the whole time!

Also, how common is egg free pasta in Roman restaurants? Has anyone has any luck specifying for egg-free pasta?
#16 Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Banned

Try one of the vegetarian or veggie friendly restaurants listed here:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/italy/rome/

If you want to try an omni place you can ask if the cheese is 'caglio vegetale' (made without rennet)
#17 Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the phrase Mr. Falafel, I think it will come in handy!

I've had a look at the happycow listings already, but I thought I may encounter the problem found in the UK sometimes, even if a cheese dish is labelled as vegetarian, the waiters/chef etc are unsure whether it has rennet in, like its a communication problem or ignorance in the supply chain.

I've downloaded the menu of the Il Marguetta, looks very nice for my actual birthday, I'm not sure that our budget will stretch to similar restaurant price tags. If only the hostel had a kitchen!
#18 Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Bumping this thread!

I'm going to be in Rome next week for six days. I'm going to try to take a day trip to Florence, as well. However, I speak NO Italian! eeek! I know enough French to get me by, but I don't think that's going to help. Any words of wisdom? I know some things have already been posted here before, but just wanting to see if anyone else had something to offer. =)
#19 Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Banned

Italian restaurants who cater to the tourist trade speak English and publish their menus in English. You will not have any problems, especially if you use that Happycow link above.

Top tip for Florence is: its very crowded in Florence. Packed full of tourists who all go for lunch at seemingly the same time which means its very difficult to get into cafes or restaurants at normal lunch times and when you do, its so busy its hard to get the waiters attention enough to talk about dietary restrictions. Instead, go for lunch during off times (like 11am or 3pm) where you have the time to talk to the waiter about what you want to eat and how you want it prepared.

In Florence there's a good healthfood shop/deli with lots of veg pates, olives, sietan slices and more you can stuff into your bag for a great picnic in a lovely square somewhere. Check the relevant happycow listing.

Another good tip is before you go, make a google map with the exact locations of said veggie friendly restaurants of the cities you are going to visit and print it out. This will help you immensely in finding their locations in unfamilair surroundings.
#20 Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Good thinking, MrFalafel! Thank you! =)
#21 Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 AM

Ciao, scrivo da Milano est.

Mi trovate anche su www.informazionealimentare.it e www.veganhome.it,

www.informazionealimentare.it
#22 Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 AM

Ciao CUMPAESA'! Italiani? Nessuno?
#23 Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Ciao! Vengo da Scozia ma adesso studio in Italia, a Urbino
#24 Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Ooooh fantastico! Ti piace l'italia?
#25 Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM

found out the hard way thought pizza bianco was vegan-safe...it looked so benign. didnt recognize that ingredient but given the other ingredients and that there was no dairy or eggs in it i never IMAGINED that that ingredient would be something so appaling as LARD! should have googled it sooner. so appaled. groooossss. anyhow, note to non-italian speakers travelling here---AVOID this ingredient! i dont know if its all pizza bianco or just the one at the shop i was getting it from. wont be getting it again though from anywhere. bleh!
#26 Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi....I am going to Italy end of April, beginning of May. To Rome to be exact. I was wondering how prevalent is soy milk in coffee shops? If not, which I have a nagging feeling it's not....what would you suggest for a vegan to do. Also, what kind of desert thingies are there that are 'accidentally' vegan? I'm trying to avoid hunting down vegan bakeries...and just enjoy the city and visit the vegan bakeries if there is time.
I've been dying to go to Rome for centuries! lol!!
#27 Old 12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone know anything about Sicily? It's a little different than Italy so figured I'd ask. My university has an archaeological field school there and I'm probably going to do it one summer. I'm vegan btw. I heard that getting fresh fruits and vegetables at markets and stuff is really easy. If so, then I'm good to go

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#28 Old 01-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Sicily is divine
The souther you go in Italy, the easier it is to be vegan. The produce itself is fabulous, but it is also easy to get LOTS of different pastas and local dishes which are naturally vegan. Avoid the mozzarella and seafood and you are good

This is because they mostly use olive oil to cook (instead of the butter of the north) and have a warmer climate, so no heavy meaty and saucy dishes. Best food is southern italian food I really think. It will probably be easier for you to ask for vegetarian options and just not pick the ones with dairy then trying to explain what veganism is. THat is what I do now.

Enjoy your time there!

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#29 Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee View Post

found out the hard way thought pizza bianco was vegan-safe...it looked so benign. didnt recognize that ingredient but given the other ingredients and that there was no dairy or eggs in it i never IMAGINED that that ingredient would be something so appaling as LARD! should have googled it sooner. so appaled. groooossss. anyhow, note to non-italian speakers travelling here---AVOID this ingredient! i dont know if its all pizza bianco or just the one at the shop i was getting it from. wont be getting it again though from anywhere. bleh!

I asked in many pizzerias if strutto was among the ingredients of pizzas, and the answer was ever "no", but I know that the original neapolitan pizza contains it.
In Italy strutto often is used in focaccia and some kind of bread, you shall ask to the merchant or check the ingredients. Surely contain strutto: pane all'olio (oil bread) and piadina romagnola (wrap bread typical of Emilia-Romagna).

www.informazionealimentare.it
#30 Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking of planning a trip this year to Italy. Possibly Venice. I have never really travelled abroad. I may be travelling alone, since it is so expensive, and I may not have anyone willing to pay that much for their fare. I don't want to go alone, but anyway...
What should I look for as regarding lodging, transport, etc?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page