Scandinavia - Page 9 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#241 Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Moved to england from Norway ten weeks ago. Lived in both Oslo and Bergen but birthplace is up north.
Oslo is ok for veggie stuff but I wasn't vegetarian while living there so I honestly don't know.
Bergen has an ok selection of vegetarian food, but man they are lacking in the vegan options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Whereabouts do you live in the UK? Indian Summer, my other half, is Norwegian and we've been living in Oxfordshire for about 5 years now.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#243 Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Beginner

I live with boyfriend in south east london now But I'm gonna move out and into my own flat/flatshare as soon as I have saved up enough for my deposit and first rent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#244 Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Cool beans! Must be quite the change of pace from Bergen to East London!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#245 Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Beginner

you'd think...but the rainy weather these days sometimes make me feel like home
#246 Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello Everyone, I know it has been a while since anyone has posted here. I might be going on a trip to Sweden and Norway in April to visit someone and I have been reading different things on if it is easy or not to find Veggie or Vegan food. Some people online are saying Sweden and Norway are really difficult for vegetarians and people there don't really understand what a vegetarian is? Other people have said the Sweden is very veggie friendly? So I have been really confused. I will be in Stockholm, Malmö, Oslo and possibly Bergen. I don't know any Swedish or Norwegian but I am working on some survival phrases :P
#247 Old 10-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Hello Everyone, I know it has been a while since anyone has posted here. I might be going on a trip to Sweden and Norway in April to visit someone and I have been reading different things on if it is easy or not to find Veggie or Vegan food. Some people online are saying Sweden and Norway are really difficult for vegetarians and people there don't really understand what a vegetarian is? Other people have said the Sweden is very veggie friendly? So I have been really confused. I will be in Stockholm, Malmö, Oslo and possibly Bergen. I don't know any Swedish or Norwegian but I am working on some survival phrases :P
Hi!
I live in Sweden, not that far from Malmö actually Traditionally, it's always been a meat eating society and "husmanskost" (old school Swedish food) usually has meat in it. However, veggies are becoming more and more common. My experience is that most people are open and accepting to vegetarianism.

Most restaurants have vegetarian options, and the few that don't can arrange something if you ask for it specifically. Vegan is harder, many restaurants can arrange that but don't count on it. Here is a list of vegetarian restaurants/cafés in Malmö. The same website has lists for cities all over the world, I suggest you browse around!

All larger grocery stores have things like tofu and quorn, as well as a selection of beans, grains, veggies et.c. Ask the staff, most people here speak English

I don't really know about Norway, but our countries are similar in many respects so hopefully they offer the same or better attitudes!

I hope you will enjoy your stay in Scandinavia!
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#248 Old 11-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie182 View Post
Hi!
I live in Sweden, not that far from Malmö actually Traditionally, it's always been a meat eating society and "husmanskost" (old school Swedish food) usually has meat in it. However, veggies are becoming more and more common. My experience is that most people are open and accepting to vegetarianism.

Most restaurants have vegetarian options, and the few that don't can arrange something if you ask for it specifically. Vegan is harder, many restaurants can arrange that but don't count on it. Here is a list of vegetarian restaurants/cafés in Malmö. The same website has lists for cities all over the world, I suggest you browse around!

All larger grocery stores have things like tofu and quorn, as well as a selection of beans, grains, veggies et.c. Ask the staff, most people here speak English

I don't really know about Norway, but our countries are similar in many respects so hopefully they offer the same or better attitudes!

I hope you will enjoy your stay in Scandinavia!
Thank you so much Elsie! This is really really helpful!! I am actually really excited, I've always loved the Scandinavian countries, they look absolutely stunning!
#249 Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hi everyone!

I'm visiting Sweden for Christmas. I'm excited! Nervous about flying, but I think I'll survive

#250 Old 11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww I bet Sweden is gorgeous during Christmas time. I've flown so many times and I still get nervous flying lol
#251 Old 11-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Aww I bet Sweden is gorgeous during Christmas time. I've flown so many times and I still get nervous flying lol
I get motion sickness really easily and I'm claustrophobic, I'm not afraid of crashing. I know it's safe, I'm just afraid of hitting mad turbulence for an extended period of time and having nausea for hours. I think some liquid courage will help

Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#252 Old 12-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone from Copenhagen Denmark have food suggestions for my visit here? I'm here now.

#253 Old 08-25-2015, 11:06 PM

Hey another Finn here yay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page