Germany - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan0r View Post

For you're travel to Berlin you HAVE to visit Yellow Sunshine, the best veg* fast food in Berlin (I have to admit I wasn't at yo yo foodworld). And if you come around a bar/restaurant that offers "Fritz Cola" get one (if you like coke), very tasty with loads of caffein (35mg/l).

Okay, so I have to admit I wasn't at Yellow Sunshine, though I did try their tiramisu cake, which was tasty aside from being a little dry. But seriously next time you go, hit up Yo Yo too (and I'll go to Yellow Sunshine) -- what I love about Yo Yo is that it's 100% vegan and mighty tasty, IMO. Is Yellow now 100% vegan too, or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

That's awesome, thanks for the tips!

A close German friend is thinking about becoming a veg* -- I was looking through Amazon.de, and there are a ton of books on the subject. Are there any that stand out? Can someone recommend some German websites I can point him to? Are there any cooking courses being offered in or around Berlin?

Thanks you guys.

Also, here are some sites that could be very useful to your friend:

Restaurant guide to Europe, especially Germany: http://veganguide.org/

Vegan guide to Berlin: http://www.berlin-vegan.de/berlin (They also organize events and have a Stammtisch every now and again: meet, eat, talk; I joined them for one at Yo Yo last weekend and found everyone was incredibly nice, very diverse group and a great way to get some tips from "real life" vegans, social networking, etc.)

Some info on B12, I haven't read through all of this but it looks good glanced over: http://vebu.de/alt/nv/dv/dv_1982_3__...era_Gottke.htm

And this, really, a great source for book tips, nutrition tips, traveling as a vegan, everything really, also has forums: http://vegan.de/index.shtml
#153 Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks a ton you two, that's a great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Can someone recommend some German websites I can point him to?

In addition to the great advice already given by Luise and Insan0r, I'd like to point to this site http://www.veganwelt.de/ mainly for the huge recipe database (see "Kochen") and to http://www.v-heft.de/ which offers good basic outreach/info in German, comparable to "Why Veg*n?" etc.

Roots of Compassion recently published a recommendable cook book called Vegan lecker lecker! Not really "vegan cuisine", rather basic vegan recipes (but lots of them, incl. numerous baking recipes) that veg*n-interested omnis and newbie veg*ns are often clueless about. At EUR 5,90 it's a real bargain (available via amazon.de marketplace too IIRC), also to give a copy to omni family/friends.
#155 Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

Roots of Compassion recently published a recommendable cook book called Vegan lecker lecker! Not really "vegan cuisine", rather basic vegan recipes (but lots of them, incl. numerous baking recipes) that veg*n-interested omnis and newbie veg*ns are often clueless about. At EUR 5,90 it's a real bargain (available via amazon.de marketplace too IIRC), also to give a copy to omni family/friends.

Is there anywhere that you know of that I could find that book in person to buy? (It can be an excuse to pick a place to travel to.)
#156 Old 05-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

@Luise: Yellow sunshine isn't 100% vegan, there are also some vegetarian dishes on their menu.

@Vegan lecker, lecker: I ordered the book but was a little disappointed... I expected some more creative recipes - so the book is really only for newbies, and the pictures don't look tasty at all. So if you're looking for a inexpensive starter cookbook it's cool otherwise you might be disappointed.
#157 Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ yeah, I definitely wouldn't have needed it in my collection of vegan cookbooks, and wouldn't recommend it to someone who's already into vegan cooking. They will probably not find anything new in there, if you consider the plethora of English language vegan cookbooks that are available. But for the German market (How many "everyday" vegan cookbooks in German are there exactly? Right...), I thought it was a nice surprise. I agree about the pictures, a few would have been okay, but not one for every recipe at the price of including some really pale images. I do like the horizontal spiral bound format and kind of paper though, I think such details are often underestimated by other cookbook authors/editors, and are important if you want people to actually use the book. But of course the recipes are most important. Assuming that most vegan newbies (in Germany anyway) are in their mid-teens to early twenties, I guess a lot of them are cooking/baking newbies too, so Vegan lecker lecker! might target the main audience well enough.
#158 Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Just thought Id post this here for anyone interested.

Theres a new initiative called Vegane Mensa (vegan university cafeteria) where students campaign for vegan options, already with some success.

Anyone can download info on why and how to convince their own school to implement this too.

(I still remember the times 15-20 years ago when uni cafeterias in Germany that offered a l/o-veg option twice a week were considered progressive, so the introduction of daily vegan options is a big step forward IMO.)

Similar (more detailed) information in English for the same use can be found in the Vegan Societys Caterpack.
#159 Old 06-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Ex-*****

I'm going to Hamburg tonight! It's only for a meeting, so will only be staying for a couple of days though.

Just wanted to be sure: Is it true that all German beer is vegan?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#160 Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I'm going to Hamburg tonight! It's only for a meeting, so will only be staying for a couple of days though.

Yes.

Quote:
http://www.vegan.de/guide/lebensmittel/bier.shtml

Uns ist nicht bekannt, dass bei der Bierherstellung tierische Produkte verwendet werden. Das gilt sowohl für die bei der Bierherstellung verwendeten Zutaten als auch für die im Rahmen der Produktion verwendeten Klärmittel..« erklärt Thomas Winzek vom Deutschen Brauer-Bund.

#161 Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Just a small clarification: German beer sold in Germany is all vegan. However, the German beer purity laws don't apply to beer for export outside of Germany. Also, German beer brewed in other countries may include finings.

I'm jealous though. Few things are better than sitting in a German biergarten...
#162 Old 06-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Just a small clarification: German beer sold in Germany is all vegan. However, the German beer purity laws don't apply to beer for export outside of Germany. Also, German beer brewed in other countries may include finings.

I'm jealous though. Few things are better than sitting in a German biergarten...

One drawback of the typical German Biergarten is that it also tends to be a BBQgarten…

You’re right about the purity law exceptions for export, but I'm assuming most beers will still be brewed acc. to the law even if exported.

What’s "German beer brewed in other countries"?
#163 Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

One drawback of the typical German Biergarten is that it also tends to be a BBQgarten

Youre right about the purity law exceptions for export, but I'm assuming most beers will still be brewed acc. to the law even if exported.

Whats "German beer brewed in other countries"?

For example, Becks beer is a very popular German beer consumed around the world. However, it is also brewed in Bulgaria, Australia, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, China, Nigeria, Romania, Turkey and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. So, the Becks beer consumed in Australia was most likely actually brewed there, under license from Interbrew (the people that own Becks) and German purity laws are not required in Australia.
#164 Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I did not realize this. Though to me, a beer brewed in another country under the license even of a (former) German brand name, is not really a German beer. But with Becks, maybe the difference is negligible, regardless where it is brewed, as this brand is not really known for a distinctive taste - its somewhat like the Coors of Germany, lol.
#165 Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

One more question! Is there anything along the lines of a vegetarian or vegan store that might have a selection of books that I can browse through? I've decided the best transition for the person in mind is actually a book that's centered around adapting traditional German cuisine.
#166 Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Ex-*****

Quinoa and MrF: Thanks for clearing this up. I had a pretty good time food- and drinkwise, at least compared to my trips to France! Our hosts made sure I had something edible even for lunch, and there was a refridgerator in my hotel room for my soya milk.

The language is also so much easier to understand for me, but yeah it helps that I took classes in German in school. Of course, all the Germans I ran into spoke perfect English so it was never an issue.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#167 Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:

One more question! Is there anything along the lines of a vegetarian or vegan store that might have a selection of books that I can browse through? I've decided the best transition for the person in mind is actually a book that's centered around adapting traditional German cuisine.

I used to have a German vegetarian cookbook. Vegetarian food is quite common in Southern Germany.

For example: http://www.amazon.de/Kochvergn%C3%BC.../dp/3774227225
#168 Old 06-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks MrFalafel, you are a cornucopia of good info.
#169 Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Veggie Street Day 2009 am Samstag 1. August in Dortmund

Quote:

Unter dem Motto Aus Freude am Leben laden auch in diesem Jahr wieder Deutschlands Vegetarier und Veganer zum Veggie Street Day in Dortmund 2009 ein. Am 01. August verwandelt sich dazu der Reinoldikirchplatz von 11 bis 20 Uhr in einen Jahrmarkt mit Lifemusik, bunter Unterhaltung und kulinarischen Köstlichkeiten...

#170 Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 AM

ich kram den thread gleich mal raus, vll merkts ja jmd?
#171 Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Joa, schon gesehen im Vorstellungsthread.
#172 Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM

hey, das ist ja nett, bist du veganer oder vegetarier?
#173 Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Bin im Moment irgendwo dazwischen. Ich bin kein Veganer, da ich z. B. Lederschuhe trage, esse aber auch keine Milchprodukte und keine Eier. Vermutlich bin ich dann strenger Vegetarier. Oder eben einfach Veg*n.
#174 Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 AM

nicht schlecht ich ess auch keine eier (wird mir öfters mal schlecht) aber viel jungen käse. ich hab leider ne histaminintoleranz und kann somit nicht alles essen. von nusszeug krieg ich zb oft schnell bauchkrämpfe und so dinger

ich bezweifle auch, ob ich richitger veganer werden kann, aber ich kann mich weitgehenst in die richtung bewegen, das weiss ich

darf ich noch fragen ob du in deu wohnst? im profil wird auch garnicht nach geschlechtsangabe gefragt oder überseh ich da was??
#175 Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Keine Ahnung, ob das nach dem Update noch drin ist mit der Geschlechtsangabe.

Ich wohne in Thüringen.
#176 Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello Germans!

I'm going to Hamburg in a few months, and I wondered if anyone knows any good places to find food

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#177 Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM

hallo zusammen / hello there,

gibt's hier noch irgendwelche Aktive in diesem Forum? / does anyone of you still write in this forum?

Ich komme aus Moers, NRW (also seeeeehr weit im Westen). / I'm from one of the most western areas in Germany.

Würde mich freuen, wenn jemand schreibt zwecks Austausch. / I would be happy if anybody of you writes back.

Frostige Grüße / Frosty greets...

#178 Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hallo! I'm from Canada and I'm planning a trip to Germany next summer (Aug-Sept). My trip will go around the country with stops in Berlin, Nuremberg, Leipzig, Munich, Lindau, Frankfurt and Cologne. Any info on veg*n restaurants especially in Berlin around the downtown area (I think close to the Reichstag) would be helpful. Danke!
#179 Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
mlp
Banned

Hallo! Ich stamme aus dem Schwabenland, bin aber schon seit 50 Jahre in der USA.
#180 Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 AM

hi roonet,

I can inform you about some veggie restaurants in cologne and düsseldorf.
If you want to know somethin about these restaurants, just let me know, I tell you then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page