WoW Guild - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 AM

I don't know if anyone else here plays WoW, but some folks in my WoW guild have lately started giving me all kinds of crap because I'm vegetarian. One jerk questioned my intelligence yesterday because I said I was going vegetarian for weight loss. I finally put him on ignore because I don't need to deal with that level of B.S. in a computer game.

Seriously, some people have been so brainwashed by the media and Atkins diets to think they need red meat to lose weight and nothing else will do. I do not understand this need to give people crap for going vegetarian. Why should it bother anyone else what another person eats?

I've been with this guild over 6 months, I like the core players, but some of the new players are complete jerks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Banned

You find annoying people pretty much everywhere you go.

I'm not a WoW player myself but my nephew uses my computer to play and sometimes I watch. He flips from guild to guild in order to level up and gain access to certain items. He also does not bother with any chit chat beyond 'where are you from?' and very little else. He focuses just on the game and thats it.
#3 Old 06-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

It's because of these three rules. (which I made myself)

1. If you have a guild, internet drama will always be ensured.

2. Internet is serious business for some people

3. 14 year old boys likes to play Internet Tough Guy.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

It's best to ignore them. I've been playing games on both consoles and computers for years, and I can say from personal experience that the large majority of the gaming community is comprised of elitist jerks. It just comes with the territory.

Also, I find it a little bit weird that you posted a thread about your WoW guild in the "Relationships and Family" section, but I guess that's mostly irrelevant.
#5 Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

You find annoying people pretty much everywhere you go.

I'm not a WoW player myself but my nephew uses my computer to play and sometimes I watch. He flips from guild to guild in order to level up and gain access to certain items. He also does not bother with any chit chat beyond 'where are you from?' and very little else. He focuses just on the game and thats it.

I am in a raiding guild that is in the top 3 alliance guilds on my server. I have friendships with the core players in it that I've known since Burning Crusade days. It's a little hard to raid if you don't talk to the people you're playing with.
#6 Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG09 View Post

Also, I find it a little bit weird that you posted a thread about your WoW guild in the "Relationships and Family" section, but I guess that's mostly irrelevant.

I consider a lot of people in WoW my friends, where else would I have posted it? There's not really a separate forum for "relationships with friends online as opposed to friends in real life."
#7 Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystmoon View Post

I am in a raiding guild that is in the top 3 alliance guilds on my server. I have friendships with the core players in it that I've known since Burning Crusade days. It's a little hard to raid if you don't talk to the people you're playing with.

Yeah, my nephew talks with others and arranges raids etc. (he's at level 60+) but thats all they talk about is gaming stuff, what time to meet, how they are going to raid etc. They never talk about their non-game life.
#8 Old 06-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a GM for over 2 years now and the people in my guild know I'm veg*n and we joke around sometimes but no one ever teases me about it any more than I tease them about other crap. The problem with WoW, overall, is that it is overrun with pre-pubescent morons. I maintain an adult owned/operated guild which, though we do have a handful of teens, is largely adults and they act as such.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Why on earth are you talking about this kind of stuff anyway? Just talk about the game, raiding, healing, all the kind of usual stuff you talk about. I'm not sure why you are trying to talk about not eating meat in the middle of a raid. Just don't bring the subject up and you'll be fine.

Shouldn't this be moved to the computer section, considering this is about how to play WoW rather than about relationships?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It's because of these three rules. (which I made myself)

1. If you have a guild, internet drama will always be ensured.

2. Internet is serious business for some people

3. 14 year old boys likes to play Internet Tough Guy.

This.
#11 Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I've been a GM for over 2 years now and the people in my guild know I'm veg*n and we joke around sometimes but no one ever teases me about it any more than I tease them about other crap. The problem with WoW, overall, is that it is overrun with pre-pubescent morons. I maintain an adult owned/operated guild which, though we do have a handful of teens, is largely adults and they act as such.

Aye. I was lucky enough to be in an adult run guild when I played (MC/Ony days). There were times where one officer would have to miss a raid for his kids from time to time. But overall it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worth it. Vent was clean, annoying kids were booted, it was a wonderful little casual raiding guild.
#12 Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Aye. I was lucky enough to be in an adult run guild when I played (MC/Ony days). There were times where one officer would have to miss a raid for his kids from time to time. But overall it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worth it. Vent was clean, annoying kids were booted, it was a wonderful little casual raiding guild.

Our downfall is definitely that we all have "real life" to deal with and it's really hard to get raiding off the ground.

#13 Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Why on earth are you talking about this kind of stuff anyway? Just talk about the game, raiding, healing, all the kind of usual stuff you talk about. I'm not sure why you are trying to talk about not eating meat in the middle of a raid. Just don't bring the subject up and you'll be fine.

Probably for the same reason that people talk about WoW or non-food subjects on a vegetarian forum, instead of just talking food all the time. When you "hang out" with an online group because of one thing you have in common, it makes sense that you'll occasionally talk about other things and get to know each other and become friends as you spend time with each other.

--Fromper

#14 Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Its just a joke. Don't get so offended by it. No use crying over someone who is trying to hurt you.

Serously man...
#15 Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Shouldn't this be moved to the computer section, considering this is about how to play WoW rather than about relationships?

I don't play WoW but my roommate is one of the top people on her server so I would just put this in: LOTS of people who play go on and talk about more than just the game. And she considers all the people she talks to there to be real friends so that's probably why this would go under "relationships". It's not really that much computer-related when it comes to the OP's situation.

Now to the OP:

Just ignore them. The top healer on the server my friend uses is a vegetarian. He basically changes the subject when people bring it up in a rude way.
#16 Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I don't know if anyone else here plays WoW, but some folks in my WoW guild have lately started giving me all kinds of crap because I'm vegetarian. One jerk questioned my intelligence yesterday because I said I was going vegetarian for weight loss. I finally put him on ignore because I don't need to deal with that level of B.S. in a computer game.

Seriously, some people have been so brainwashed by the media and Atkins diets to think they need red meat to lose weight and nothing else will do. I do not understand this need to give people crap for going vegetarian. Why should it bother anyone else what another person eats?

I've been with this guild over 6 months, I like the core players, but some of the new players are complete jerks.

You need a thicker skin. Kiddies on WoW will wind you up about anything and by reacting to anti-vegetarian jibes by debating and getting upset you're giving them exactly what they want.

In these situations "k whatever dude" or just ignoring it (without putting them on ignore, that's a good way to get drama) are the correct courses of action. You are new to vegetarianism so you feel all excited and empowered and you think you need to fight this sort of thing, with time you'll learn to not give a fig (or just joke about it with the right people) because it really isn't worth it.
#17 Old 07-10-2009, 06:31 PM

I play WoW and am in an all adult guild. No matter who comes and goes from the guild there is always drama. We joke around a lot in guild chat and on vent. Sometimes people say things that can come off as rude when they are not meant to be. Sometimes it is hard to know if what someone types or said on cheap computer mic was a joke or rude. Don't take it so personally. If you feel like firing back at the idiots think of a good come back in case they bring it up again.

If anyone is on Cairne look me up, Emmber or Citrinne.(I am a recruiting officer for our guild if anyone is looking for one)
#18 Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:

I've played WoW since the month it came out...3 and a half of those being a GM...raided everything up untill about 3 months ago when i quit (GF aggro, she resisted feign death )...that being said..ive met many annoying people, the thing i learned, no matter what you do and how you act, one of the 11million people will not like it and make fun of you....if your on alliance most of the people in your guild are probably not even 18 yet...so you should just ignore them /ignore is best no matter what....if they start stuff in vent...mute them....if GM doesnt allow that...tell him you wont deal with it...if hes or she is worth anything they will tell them to stop....for about a year i was a GM of a high end guild where i didnt even let anyone talk in vent unless it was an officer....then again all guilds are not like that...my advice is to talk to the GM.... /ignore....or change guilds...cause there will ALWAYS be guilds...
#19 Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

SQUEE! You play?? I'm married to the co-GM, and the other GM's wife is vegetarian so we gang up on the bacon lovers and they pick on us. It can get irritating sometimes but when we make it clear someone overstepped (it's only happened once) they were cool about it.

Horde seems to be more mature overall, I've noticed. So join the Horde and come whisper Avivah on Detheroc.
#20 Old 07-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

SQUEE! You play?? I'm married to the co-GM, and the other GM's wife is vegetarian so we gang up on the bacon lovers and they pick on us. It can get irritating sometimes but when we make it clear someone overstepped (it's only happened once) they were cool about it.

Horde seems to be more mature overall, I've noticed. So join the Horde and come whisper Avivah on Detheroc.

not to get off topic, but not a bad priest at all i had one for a while before GF aggro came along... but horde is more mature for sure...sorry to get off topic, just had to give a thumbs up on the priest
#21 Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't play WoW but I do belong to one of the top raid guilds on my server in a different MMORPG. My guild is primarily adults so I generally don't get as much flack for being the token vegan as I might if the guild was more immature but I've had my share of jokes on occasion. I found when someone says anything moronic it's best to let it slide off your back and chalk it up to ignorance.

If it persists and you can't work it out with that individual, I would just put them on ignore. As someone else pointed out, you can't expect to get along with the entire population and some idiot will always come along with a silly remark to ruin your day. The one thing I wouldn't do, however, is get overly defensive and argumentative because people in these sort of situations love to push hot buttons when they find what they perceive to be a sore spot.

On the up side in my situation, I've almost convinced my guild leader to go vegan and I've been able to recommend some good vegan products as alternatives for guild mates who have allergies.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#22 Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoopy View Post

(GF aggro, she resisted feign death )

This made me lol. My solution to my bf playing WoW all the time is "If you're going to play that damned game all the time then you have to at least teach me!!"

Guess who's got the uber-healie-priest now? :P

#23 Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:

This made me lol. My solution to my bf playing WoW all the time is "If you're going to play that damned game all the time then you have to at least teach me!!"

Guess who's got the uber-healie-priest now? :P

at least someone got that, i was addicted for the past 4 years...it really got to the point that it was just sad...wake up play for 20 hours...sleep for 4...rince repeat..glad i stopped for sure
#24 Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

at least someone got that, i was addicted for the past 4 years...it really got to the point that it was just sad...wake up play for 20 hours...sleep for 4...rince repeat..glad i stopped for sure

Yea, that's bad. I don't even play every day and I'm a GM. It's nice escapism though when your real life involves full time phd study and 3 part time jobs

#25 Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 PM

Rabid, that is what happened at our house. My DH was playing all the time and he finally got me playing. Now I am working on a kick butt rogue and a super awesome preist.
#26 Old 07-12-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Yea, that's bad. I don't even play every day and I'm a GM. It's nice escapism though when your real life involves full time phd study and 3 part time jobs

ya i use to make 70s and 80s in about 7 days RT...5days GT.....glad you never got addicted as bad as i was...
#27 Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

not to get off topic, but not a bad priest at all i had one for a while before GF aggro came along... but horde is more mature for sure...sorry to get off topic, just had to give a thumbs up on the priest

Aww thanks! Was in a fairly decent raiding guild, well, still am but we appear to have halted the raiding for now. I'm going to be on tonight on time and all but I don't think we have the people to make our 25 man anymore... *cry*
#28 Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I suggest making this the official wow-thread, like the one for those requiemkids.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#29 Old 07-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Aww thanks! Was in a fairly decent raiding guild, well, still am but we appear to have halted the raiding for now. I'm going to be on tonight on time and all but I don't think we have the people to make our 25 man anymore... *cry*

lol Welcome to WoW sweet-heart...guilds go guild and hault due to people sucking.... thats why i always had to lead my guilds...i couldnt stand other people...i was Hitler when it come to Raiding...but always got the job done...you should join a HXC guild so you can raid..and just talk to your friends through PM and just join there Vents during the day...its your best bet...cause friends wont stop talking to you just because you're in a different guild...but a good guild wont PUG ya
#30 Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

lol Welcome to WoW sweet-heart...guilds go guild and hault due to people sucking.... thats why i always had to lead my guilds...i couldnt stand other people...i was Hitler when it come to Raiding...but always got the job done...you should join a HXC guild so you can raid..and just talk to your friends through PM and just join there Vents during the day...its your best bet...cause friends wont stop talking to you just because you're in a different guild...but a good guild wont PUG ya

Yeah, I know. I've played for over 3 years and 2+ of that was as a main raiding toon. The guild we're in now is an amazing one. We have brought people in and had them leave for other places (mostly for other IRL friends who were raiding elsewhere) or have had people quit playing altogether.

In the end, for me it is not about the guild tag or even raiding in general. It's raiding with the group of people I've been with for years. Not just talking to them in whispers while raiding, that is not the same. I'd be happy to transfer guilds with the rest of them. I'd be happy to stop raiding altogether if that's what it takes to stick with these people. It's more than just getting content down, for me. Yes it's GREAT when we kill a new boss or more than one per week, but it would be nothing without those people to share it with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page