how to make friends in a new town - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

hey guys

this has just been bugging me. I'm in a new place for a month due to work.

All my friends at work are atleast 15 years older and all have families to attend to, so i can't socialize with them.

I'm staying in a pretty corporate appartment area where people don't socialize either. So it's not like i'm in the backpackers where i meet other backpackers or something.

So given the environment i'm in, how would i go about making new friends?

i was thinking of joining online communities where people in the town meetup.

Such as meetup.com

Any other ideas..

much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

pub? sports complex or other hobby related location involving hobby you like/partake in?
#3 Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

It's hard eh? Clubs are bad places since everyone is there to just get drunk and hook up.. I've never met anyone of worth at a club.. just a lot of guys who want to take me home.

The gym, if you start chatting, isn't bad..

Cafe's, again.. just start chatting..

It's hard though, I know.. meeting random people. I agree with Jen: signing up for something like a rugby league that meets up once a week would be a good way to meet guy friends.. and then once you've got a social circle you go with them to clubs, pubs, and bars, as well as meet up with THEIR friends, and the circle grows...

Best of luck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Banned

yeah, nightclubs are fatal not least cos the music is so loud you'd have to build a friendship entirely on yelling and shoddy hand gestures if you don't sign very well... which the general level of mainstream drunkenness just wouldn't help with at all. of course, if you're looking for the kinda friends who don't say a lot, get naked, puke on your shoes, then start crying/yelling hysterically... club would be ideal.
#5 Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Shane. Are you still in Australia? If so, where as I might be able to give you a better idea if I knew which state. There are always pubs everywhere, and I've always found a pint does wonders for social lubrication.
#6 Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe take a class at the college/uni?? At least the people there will have similar interests, and you can make friends by asking them if they want someone to study with!

As an adult, I have made most of my friends that way. I find it hard to make friends just at coffee shops or gyms... you have to have repeat exposure to the same group of people!
#7 Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my closest friends near me is a mother of four who is 13 years older than me. I just go over and spend time with her and the kids.

I realize if I were looking for a significant other, this wouldn't be a good strategy. But, in the point in life where I find myself, I'm quite happy with this arrangement. (She did tell me yesterday repeatedly she wants to marry me because I do dishes without being asked, but this seems to be a no-no in Ohio.)

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#8 Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 PM

I'm moving to a new town in 2 months too!! I'm moving with my boyfriend but even so i've started trying to think of ways to make new friends so here is my list (I'll be at university and working so may not be quite the same for you). Although we're mid 20's not 8 so possibly wont make many friends at college/uni!!

-Join any extra tutorial groups etc i can at uni

-Befriend people at new work, even if it's just a Friday drink

-I've always been interested in photography and though I suck i might do a course anyway to meet new people and learn something new

-I'm going to join a book club because I am an English geek

-I'm taking up yoga or pilates (not sure which)

-I'm going to try and finf a vegan cooking class or group

I figure that even if I make no friends at any of these places i'll be busy so I wont get to bored!!! And if my boyfriend does the same we should have new friends really fast!

Good luck to you. If you pick up some hobbies, as lame as it sounds, at least you will be busy and not get stuck in to a rut of never going anywhere.

#9 Old 05-17-2009, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you religious at all? If so, you might try to find a place of worship where you can meet others who share your religious views.

Are you political at all? If so, maybe you can find a political club where you can meet others who share your political views.

I agree with other suggestions already posted in the thread, such as community classes.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

i would look for an introduction through someone whom you do know.

i'm going to visit NZ (leaving this friday), and i'm meeting a lot of new people while there. how? through an introduction.

a friend of mine knows a person there, so she connected us via email. then, we started to really hit it off, so she connected me to some other friends of hers, and we've really hit it off. and so, now i have even more friends there.

it's pretty cool.

since you're already in town, a good way to do this is to approach a friend at work. they probably know some other people your age. ask them if they would be willing to introduce you, or perhaps host a party at your place, invite them, and ask them to invite their friends. see if you meet anyone.

i do a lot of mixers when i go to a new place.
#11 Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 PM

How about looking to see if there is a local veggie group in your area which meets for socials? Or maybe you could try a new sport/hobby? I met a lot of good friends through a dive club, and you live in a great country for diving ;-)
#12 Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks guys.. i'm back in Perth anyway. Home sweet home.

But this thread should carry on for future reference

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page