Boyfriend is entirely too picky! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I have resorted to looking up cookbooks for moms with picky kids.

It's not a matter of "Boohoo it's hard to cook for the two of us," but more like he doesn't eat right and sooner or later it's going to catch up to him. He knows this and he actively wants to change... but he's still picky.

He likes very limited vegetables..

Corn (but only with butter)

Green beans (but only canned and with this brutal steak seasoning on it)

Salad (only if it's got cheese and gobs Ranch dressing on it)

I can sneak baby spinach in his salads and he doesn't mind most times, especially if he's just really hungry

Potatoes, but not sweet potatoes-- ever.

Broccoli, but only with a sweet Chinese sauce on it or in a cheesy soup or something like that

Tomatoes, though not tomato soup. Only in chunks on things. Salads, too. It's the same with peppers and onions. Though he eats the later a lot more.

Spinach, he makes an awesome spinach lasagna. It's made from frozen though, and he only eats it because he can't taste the spinach. I don't know how good frozen spinach is for you...

Edit: BEANS! A vegetarian that only eats Refried beans?!. He hates hummus and any other kind of bean

I think that's about it. It's it horrid. Most of the recipes say to puree veggies and sneak them in soups or pasta sauce. But the recipes are only for 1/4 cup because they're for children. I'm afraid that if I put more he wouldn't even eat it

Ugh, also he works as a Tire Tech at Sams and eats their pizza allllll the time

He needs to kick his grilled cheese, mac & cheese, and pizza binge. (A lot of cheese, yeah.)

ooh and weird! Oprah has a list of ten kid-friendly foods and one is bell pepper skins spread with cream cheese, or olives and cream cheese. I couldn't get any of the kids I know to eat that, even if I threatened waterboarding

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahan...af_peetes_list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

That's rough. I thought I didn't like any vegetables for a long time, b/c my mother wasn't the greatest cook and so we ate all canned, all the time. (even canned asparagus - yuck )

So for several years of my adult life I just didnt' really eat any veggies, except for salads. Not very healthy! But when I got married I learned otherwise, because my husband is a decent cook and he had all these new and exciting ways to prepare veggies. Now I love most of them...broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, peas, potatoes, peppers, onions, tomatoes...you get the picture. It's all in the preparation.

Now if he actually likes canned green beans...well I don't really know what to say about that but I think if you can find new ways of preparing veggies that is delicious (hint: go with roasted in a 400 degree oven with olive oil and spices for almost any vegetable imaginable - delicious!) maybe he will come around.

Also, you've probably already done this but maybe you could sell him on a homemade vinagrette to help him kick his ranch dressing habit! Not just good on salads, but any veggie dish.

Hope this helps!
#3 Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

[] It's all in the preparation.

Now if he actually likes canned green beans...well I don't really know what to say about that but I think if you can find new ways of preparing veggies that is delicious (hint: go with roasted in a 400 degree oven with olive oil and spices for almost any vegetable imaginable - delicious!) maybe he will come around.

+1

You may want to try this simple but delectable preparation that also turns out great with other vegetables.

If he rejects even this, I fear there is absolutely no hope for him (joking) ever to like green beans.

That said, you are not his mom and he is not your picky kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

ooh and weird! Oprah has a list of ten kid-friendly foods and one is bell pepper skins spread with cream cheese, or olives and cream cheese. I couldn't get any of the kids I know to eat that, even if I threatened waterboarding

Skins sounded revolting, luckily its only bell pepper strips! But I get your point, olives certainly don't have the most kid-friendly taste, and the texture of raw bell peppers is an issue even for some adults. My little niece, who refuses to eat any raw bell peppers or even visible chunks of roasted ones, eats muhammara (spread mainly made from roasted peppers & walnuts) by the spoonful though (following her dads example in both).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, I have no advice other than telling him to cook his own food because I couldn't be bothered cooking for someone who ate like that. He sounds like he was raised to like condiments more than the food itself.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

He didn't have the best childhood. His mom's not a great cook and he was lucky to have a cooked meal at his father's... more like frozen pizza and McDonald's. So he still has the 'little kid' pallate.

The only things I avoid are cilantro, peppers, and raw onions (cooked are fine).

so it's weird to be with someone with such an aversion to vegetables.

I thought it was the crunch of veggies that he didn't like-- most people say pickyness comes from texture-- but he likes raw onions. Making vegetables taste like something else is new to someone that cooks vegetables for their taste

It's raining today and he's off work. I'm probably going to make a veggie chili and to the best I can covering up the veggies with chili powder and tomatoes. PLUS! I got the Joy of Vegan Baking for Christmas and I can try out the cornbread recipe!
#6 Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Ewww...I wouldn't eat that either!

I was like that for most of my life. I wouldn't eat veggies unless they were smothered (like green bean casserole) or otherwise well hidden. Those types of dishes aren't the worst thing in the world if it means getting some greens.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#7 Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I have increased our taste for many new vegetables in the past few years. I wouldn't resign yourself to cooking for his tastes as they are now. Since he seems to want to change, maybe try one new food per week. It doesn't have to be anything exotic. Try preparing it several different ways for dinner each night. If he's willing to try, he may find that his tastes mature over time. In my experience, when you get used to the taste of whole, unprocessed foods, you actually start preferring them to the foods you used to like.
#8 Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Beginner

your boyfriend is less picky than mine lol. for veggies mine will only eat corn, tomato sauce, and potatos. he doesnt even like fruit, he "tolerates" apples and bananas. he hates all beans, but i did just get him to like tofu scramble! im really worried for his health, i dont know what to do

all he eats is cheese pizza, spagettios, fries, ice cream, mac and cheese, and fake meat (he's vegetarian at least)
#9 Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

There's no way my boyfriend touches tofu! But he likes some fake meats. Especially the chicken patties.

I told him about my chili plans and he wants to make what his mom makes... she uses a McCormick pouch. Fingers crossed that it's got some kind of animal fat in it
#10 Old 01-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Sorry You are going through this...all I can suggest is cook together and come up with flavor combos that you both enjoy.

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn
#11 Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Wow I wish that I knew the answer to such a problem. My boyfriend wont eat any veggies except for corn or peas. He seriously wont eat anything that I eat. A salad, yea right. We don't eat any meals together.
#12 Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's all in the preparation.

She should try serving them naked?

Seriously though, veggies often absorb the flavor of what's around them.

And canned veggies != frozen veggies != fresh veggies.

For example, I hate asparagus, unless it is fresh.
#13 Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Beginner

my boyfriend only eats KFC and Pizza cause he works at dominos

Its a rare when i see something other then either of them enter his mouth
#14 Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonSG View Post

my boyfriend only eats KFC and Pizza cause he works at dominos

Its a rare when i see something other then either of them enter his mouth

Wow - it seems like a lot of your boyfriends eat like little kids! I guess I should consider myself extremely lucky that my husband will eat (and enjoy) almost anything. (including meat, unfortunately)
#15 Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow - it seems like a lot of your boyfriends eat like little kids! I guess I should consider myself extremely lucky that my husband will eat (and enjoy) almost anything. (including meat, unfortunately)

ditto
#16 Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

It is great that he wants to change - that means he might push himself a bit.

I think that you have to be willing to give things a few tries before deciding that you definitely don't like them. Perhaps you could suggest trying either one new vegetable at each meal, or one he thinks he doesn't like. And give each 'new' or 'disliked' vegetable at LEAST 3 chances before he can say that it is something he won't eat.

And also, you could suggest to him that he eat the meals, even if he doesn't like the taste, because he needs the nutrition. Food can be about pleasure, but unless it's going to make him physically sick then he needs to take care of his body as the top priority. If health is his reason for wanting to change, then it might help if he researched the nutrition values of the vegetables he is going to try that day or week. That often inspires me sometimes, and makes you feel good about what you're eating because you know what it is providing you with

Also, make sure you buy good quality stuff that is likely to have the best flavour.

You didn't mention fruit - does he like this? You can put vegetables into fruit smoothies - like spinach, or grated carrots, anything really I suppose!

My boyfriend will eat vegetables, and likes most of them. But that is only when I cook for him really... he never buys them himself! Even though I remind him each time we shop together ("how about buying some carrots? You could have them with [insert name of something already in his basket]... and they're cheap"). Fruit and veg rarely makes it into his fridge lol.

I don't know how people can live without fresh fruit and veg... I feel horrible when I don't include it in my diet!
#17 Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Wow - it seems like a lot of your boyfriends eat like little kids!

seriously! i wonder if it was the way they were raised or what?

i'm not worried about my bf's weight (he's very skinny) but i'm really worried about his heart...it's fine now but sometime down the road i'm sure it won't be
#18 Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I know people who don't like sweet potatoes, who love sweet potato fries. They're baked in the oven with spices and are very healthy.

Otherwise, I'd just make what he likes + sides of things he doesn't. Most likely, he'll begin to like them over time, if he keeps trying.
#19 Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post

I think that you have to be willing to give things a few tries before deciding that you definitely don't like them. Perhaps you could suggest trying either one new vegetable at each meal, or one he thinks he doesn't like. And give each 'new' or 'disliked' vegetable at LEAST 3 chances before he can say that it is something he won't eat.

This is a great idea...I know that my sister will give her kids a certain food several times before just letting it go at "they don't like it". Often after the 3d or 4th try they find that they do like it, they just needed to get used to it.
#20 Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I read somewhere that picky people are super tasters.. they have more tastebuds than other people. That's why they're picky.
#21 Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I read somewhere that picky people are super tasters.. they have more tastebuds than other people. That's why they're picky.

This would be my boyfriend. He is super picky, but it's because so many flavors are overwhelming to his palate. He really can't handle foods that are bitter or have too much flavor, so he really doesn't like a lot of veggies (and other things).

Fortunately, he realizes that a lot of has to do with the prep, so there are times when he can handle other things, but mostly, he'd be happy with things like pizza, plain spaghetti, mac and cheese, etc.

Best part is he's a chef, so he can cook all the other stuff, he just usually doesn't eat it!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#22 Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I definitely sympathize with all. The problem, however, is not that that my bf is picky, but that he is lazy... so it's always pizza, subs, pizza, calzone, pizza, or nothing at all. Meaty, without vegetables, and generally of minimal nutritional value, of course. All that money wasted on fast food could be saved for the future... but he just won't listen.

Oy, college boys.
#23 Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still growing out of my pickiness, to be honest. I eat lots of fruit but vegetables I had to force myself to like, although still to this day I really hate broccoli and celery. I discovered that a lot of them are good, a greek fast food place opened up nearby, and had a vegetarian wrap that was filled with vegetables, and lathered in tzatziki sauce. Maybe you should try making salads with that, I'm certain no one can resist tzatziki! Just make sure its made from yogurt and not sour cream. After that I became much more open minded when trying new things.

Also, does he like spicy food? I went through a phase where I would pour hot sauce over everything (still do it to french fries), especially hummus.
#24 Old 01-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Will he eat veg in things? I hate almost all kinds of veg served as a side dish (including but not limited to carrots, sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, tinned peas, and potatos). BUT its not that I dont like these in themseleves, just that the texture when theyre on the side isnt that pleasant, they tend to go cold quickly, and the taste is quite monotonous. For years I was a vegetarian who ate pasta with cheese (couldnt even have pizza as I didnt like tomato).

My diet is now quite well varied, as I had to start cooking for my self and find ways of serving things that worked for me, e.g:

- I can eat onion raw or cooked in small pieces, but for ages I couldn't eat big lumps in food, and still hate it when you get a pig slimey strip of it in pasta sauce;

- tomatoes make me feel ill if I eat them raw, or in big lumps, so I dont. I buy the whole tinned kind so I can pick out inherrently lumpy bits like the end bits and skin, and mash them with a fork until they are very smooth, add seasoning and this can be used to make pizza or pasta sauce;

- broccolli is one of my favourite pizza toppings, and I also like to serve it in a strong garlic and chilli (smooth) tomato sauce, either on top of pasta or with a side dish;

- sprouts are delicious if tossed in garlic butter before serving (and NOT overcooked);

- sweetcorn can be added to practically any dish and I will eat it; I also love corn on the cob cooked over an open flame. I just cant eat the kernels on their own by the side of a meal;

- I hate spinach when overcooked or frozen (the oposite of your b/f) but like to use the baby leaves as part of a salad, or sautee them for about 2 mins in garlic/butter and include in a creamey pasta sauce.

For me , this means I hardly ever eat veg as a side dish, but make sure that whatever I'm cooking has plenty of them included within the main meal. Can you encourage him to cook for himself more, as I think one of the key breakthroughs with me was that when I was easing myself into a vegetable which I could only eat one way (e.g. peppers, but only read ones, slightly undercooked, and served in decent sized strips so I could see them) I knew that no one else was going to do it "wrong" and make me nervous about it. Even if he doesnt actally cook the meal, even helping you in the kitchen might get him interested in seeing how he can eat things. I am now pretty confident that (whilst there are still many ways I wont eat a lot of types of food) the only things I really won't eat ever are cucumbers and mushrooms, and if we ever go to tapas and someone orders a mushroom dish I try it "just in case".

I also found that I find eating things I am unsure about much easier if giant amounts of cheese are provided with them. This is obviously not an ideal long term dietary solution, but in the short term, I think it sort of dims the flavour of the veg without really changing it too much. For men, curry can also be a good way of "sneaking" vegetables, as you can barely taste what the original vegetable was through the spiceyness, so as long as the texture is pleasant to him the meal should be nice. Again its not really a long term solution to him not being able to enjoy vegetable tastes, but can get him used to the idea that now he can eat eggplant or whatever.

If all else fails, putting a small amount on a pizza along with more favoured toppings (i.e. 3 olives onto a cheese, pepper and mushroom pizza) can at least make him try them, and sometimes the cheese juices make less-favoured food more paletable.

One last thing that has helped to broaden my food horizons a bit is when I am away with work and we go out to "nice" places to eat. These hardly ever have more than 1 or 2 veggie options, and they are often a bit different from what I would nomally eat (e.g. I have tried beetroot & lavender sausages, broccolli creme brulee, vegetarian haggis, pea and butternut squash pizza, and olive and feta spaghetti). If cost is not prohibitive, and you live in an area with a lot of restaurant options (or when you are visiting such a place) you could try going to places that put you outside of your usual food comfort zone, as it is a great opportunity to try something you probably wouldnt bother with at home, that has been prepared by a professional so there is a good chance of it tasting ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page