Originally Posted by Mal
So... I've looked at different dating sites and bookmarked several, but is there any one in particular that can be recommended? I've heard others mentioning Lavalife, and wondered how it is compared to vegetarian dating sites? Or should I just draw straws? :P
Btw, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.
I hesitate to make some suggestions, because I see very few suggestions have been made, and a lot of people on boards seem reluctant to make suggestions themselves, but eager to jump in and criticize anyone else's suggestions.
However, let me mention a couple of things:
1) Many people go to church and form social networks around their church membership. Many of these churches have singles clubs. You don't say anything in your profile about any religious affiliation, but perhaps affiliating with some church and joining their singles group might be helpful.
2) Does your school have a newspaper? Consider placing a personal ad. Does your school offer some other means of similar communication, like a website or intranet for students? There must be some way for students to communicate with one another. Perhaps rent a post office box and/or set up an anonymous or pseudonymous e-mail address for receiving such communications.
3) Buy a small notepad that fits in your pocket. Every time you meet someone, chat with them about their relationship status. If they are married or in a relationship, ask them how they first met their spouse or bf/gf. Write these items down in the notebook, and soon you'll have a list of how to meet members of the opposite sex.
4) You say you don't drink alcohol. But you can still go to bars and have a soft drink, or sparkling water or something else non-alcoholic. Many people socialize and meet others at bars. I don't particularly care for bars, but that is where many people meet.
5) Talk to people who own dogs. Find out where they walk their dogs (possibly in a park). Go to the park and strike up conversations with guys walking their dogs. Possibly get yourself a dog and walk him/her in the park.
A very easy way to bump into guys. You are studying to be a vet-tech, so you should be able to make endless conversation about dogs or pets.
If a dog is too prosaic, get a more exotic pet. (I know a guy who has a cockatoo, and he is constantly surrounded by women fascinated with the bird.)
I've never tried internet dating sites, so have nothing to say about them, but I should think you'd want to try resources that were closer at hand first.