Step mom went Vegan about a week ago! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

My Step mom has been vegetarian off and on for the last 20 years or so... She was an environmental and AR crusader way before it became fashionable. Then, she slid back into omnivorism out of something akin to laziness, and not really being devoted to the cause.

Then she read Skinny *****, and it's convinced her she has to take a stand against the current food production system, for the animals, her health and for the environment.

I, of course am absolutely fully supportive... and very glad! I'm happy she can use me as a resource and we're gonna cook together every two weeks or so. Last night we made Borsht.

It's exciting, because, although my whole family has always been incredibly supportive of my lifestyle, my cousins were the only ones who were also vegetarians, and both of them started eating meat again last year.

My dad has said that he will meet us halfway and drastically reduce the amount of meat he's eating... Their 3 kids will reduce their meat intake as a result, I'm sure. In fact, my 10 year old brother wants to be a vegetarian, but unfortunately, doesn't like a wide enough variety of foods yet to cut out meat entirely (he's basically going pesca, which"ll keep him healthy till we can get nuts, beans, seeds and legumes into him!)

Just thought I should share the good news about increasing our #'s with y'all!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 AM

That is great news.
#3 Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it!

I do wonder about your brother--how will being a pescatarian "keep him healthy" if he's not eating a healthy variety in that diet?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay for your stepmother!!

I don't really ever see any of my family being vegan besides me.
#5 Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

that's awesome, Synergy!
#6 Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

That's pretty sweet ass!! Peace & Love!!
#7 Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it!

I do wonder about your brother--how will being a pescatarian "keep him healthy" if he's not eating a healthy variety in that diet?

Perhaps I should have said "healthier". Salmon is one of the only sources of protein & omega 3 we can get him to swallow, and it's far better than nothing. He refuses to eat nuts, beans, legumes, seeds and whole grains and this is one stubborn boy.

He will eat Tofu occasionally, as well as miniscule amounts of eggs and dairy, which is great, but a 10 year old boy needs more protein & omega 3's and such than fruits, veggies and processed white grains can give him. Not to metion, it's his own personal choice. If he wants to eat salmon and salmon only when his dad and sisters have it, then fine. He's already doing far more than most kids his age.

I have a feeling as he gets older, his palate will expand, and then he can drop the fishes out of this diet, if he so chooses.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 09-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Perhaps I should have said "healthier". Salmon is one of the only sources of protein & omega 3 we can get him to swallow, and it's far better than nothing. He refuses to eat nuts, beans, legumes, seeds and whole grains and this is one stubborn boy.

He will eat Tofu occasionally, as well as miniscule amounts of eggs and dairy, which is great, but a 10 year old boy needs more protein & omega 3's and such than fruits, veggies and processed white grains can give him. Not to metion, it's his own personal choice. If he wants to eat salmon and salmon only when his dad and sisters have it, then fine. He's already doing far more than most kids his age.

I have a feeling as he gets older, his palate will expand, and then he can drop the fishes out of this diet, if he so chooses.

This sounds a LOT like my son, who is also 10. This is why I don't try to make him go veg at all, he already doesn't eat very much.

That's great about your step mom!
#9 Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm excited for your stepmom, Synergy. That's so exciting that you two can share this and that you'll be cooking a couple times a week together. That's fun and will keep her inspired. Makes me wish someone in my family would make that great proclamation that they're vegetarian, and then we could have fab cooking parties, too.

Also, I know that on some other board, some people were dissing skinny *****, but I ACTUALLY read it and thought it was great. ***I liked how you summed it up as taking a stand against current food production practices, as well as a stand for personal health and the environment.
#10 Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great.

She will find it much easier to be vegan now than 20 years ago - there are so many more products and cookbooks etc. available. And it's also vastly easier to get info about the animal farming industries (and damage to the environment caused by meat-eating) with the widespread presence of the internet. I'll bet she can make it stick this time

Since she's interested in animals, maybe she'd be interested in seeing Earthlings, if she hasn't already...

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I second your dancing produce!

#12 Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Great
#13 Old 09-26-2008, 04:51 PM

Cool Beans....Congrats
#14 Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 PM

You must be jumping for joy, girl!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page