Friendship Development Thread. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I just realized that my Contacts & Friends Tab is almost empty here. Hence, I decided to start this thread. Let us all try and develop Friendships here and add them to our Friend's Tab under User CP. This is one feature that is excelelnt but seems less used here. Good friendships are stepping stones to many other things. Specially, good friendship is vital among Vegans.

So post, here anything related to friendship and also what kinds of friends you are looking for etc., Make a lot of good friends all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_...fluence_People

Vijay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey man? is that really you in the avatar? Thats a first, I've not really ever attempted to visualize what you look like....but have enjoyed your unique brand of information you bring us all at VB. Often things I am in tune with.

The profile friends are less important I think than simply knowing who your "*contacts*" are privately known to each individual and their inner-circle of friends.

Anyways... How to influence people at least is always an interesting topic to share ideas on... so well done for that
#3 Old 06-07-2008, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade34 View Post

Hey man? is that really you in the avatar? Thats a first, I've not really ever attempted to visualize what you look like....but have enjoyed your unique brand of information you bring us all at VB. Often things I am in tune with.

The profile friends are less important I think than simply knowing who your "*contacts*" are privately known to each individual and their inner-circle of friends.

Anyways... How to influence people at least is always an interesting topic to share ideas on... so well done for that

Yes, that is really me. Thank you for your kind words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, what a great idea! I, too, think we need more of a comroderie around here. 'Bout time someone took a step to do so

Anyone care to chat, I am up late, usually.. And around a decent bit. Feel free to PM me! I have Yahoo, AIM, MSN, and ICQ.
#5 Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, I have that book! Just started reading it, actually. So far, it isn't anything I didn't already know... We'll see how the rest goes, though. Maybe I'm already good at it
#6 Old 06-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Thanks for explaining how to add a Friend to the list. I've never figured out how.

I consider all Vegans my friends. (Except of course the Nazi vegans which is probably not a movement that many people have heard about, especially if you don't live in Europe. Dangerous people indeed.)
#7 Old 06-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

You know I find it curious that no one has added me on msn from these boards; all the other boards I've ever chosen to frequent by this time I would have at least a handful of msn friends!

moon_sun_and_angels at hotmail.com is my msn username (yea yeah I was a kid when I made it, ohkay?)
#8 Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh my email is [email protected] if any of you want to use it to add me on msn or find me on facebook!
#9 Old 06-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

As much as I started this thread, I will be slow to socialize here, will be back when I feel better. Here is the reason, several Omni's I know are planning BBQs and it is always talk about steak, pork BBQ etc., Not the best thing to hear at all often. As you all can already guess, I have no interest to join those events. I went and just got my own small BBQ grill and tools, hope to get other items later and try a Vegan BBQ. From what I observe, omni's seem to socialize well and make a lot of excellent friends at these events. In some open area places, sometimes from the BBQ, the meat smell fills the air and I must run to escape it. It is so popular that the company I work for has also planned a BBQ event. Thanks for understanding all.
#10 Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm always looking to make more friends online [email protected] is my addy, look me up on facebook or msn, i'm usually around
#11 Old 06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

As much as I started this thread, I will be slow to socialize here, will be back when I feel better. Here is the reason, several Omni's I know are planning BBQs and it is always talk about steak, pork BBQ etc., Not the best thing to hear at all often. As you all can already guess, I have no interest to join those events. I went and just got my own small BBQ grill and tools, hope to get other items later and try a Vegan BBQ. From what I observe, omni's seem to socialize well and make a lot of excellent friends at these events. In some open area places, sometimes from the BBQ, the meat smell fills the air and I must run to escape it. It is so popular that the company I work for has also planned a BBQ event. Thanks for understanding all.

It's hard to avoid omnis, and it's hard to avoid BBQs in the summer! One thing I have learned is that socializing doesn't have to mean eating - it can just mean socializing. Eat ahead of time and enjoy some potato chips and chat with friends. If you want to make friends, you have to make yourself available - but you don't have to eat a hamburger!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 06-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it...ppl looking for friends...which is what I am desperately looking for right now. No, not just any friends. Veg*n friends. Add me as your friend, pls and thank you.

I have no RL veg*n friends. I had this crazy idea of writing my email address on the vegan cookbooks I borrowed from the library. or my newly developed blog address where all I do is whine about how veg*n friendless I am What do you guys think? Do you think it's a brilliant or psychotic idea? I mean who knows what wierdo could be borrowing that book from the library? Should I leave a note with it like "if you are like me, a new vegan with no vegan friends email me"??? Arg...this is just too crazy. right?

rvijay, I feel your pain. At least they invited you. I was consciously not invited to a BBQ recently because I am now a vegan! They were just acquaintances, so I didn't really care. But still!!
#13 Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

It's hard to avoid omnis, and it's hard to avoid BBQs in the summer! One thing I have learned is that socializing doesn't have to mean eating - it can just mean socializing. Eat ahead of time and enjoy some potato chips and chat with friends. If you want to make friends, you have to make yourself available - but you don't have to eat a hamburger!

You are correct. I will try to remember this. But it is harder to put it in practise.
#14 Old 06-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

I love it...ppl looking for friends...which is what I am desperately looking for right now. No, not just any friends. Veg*n friends. Add me as your friend, pls and thank you.

I have no RL veg*n friends. I had this crazy idea of writing my email address on the vegan cookbooks I borrowed from the library. or my newly developed blog address where all I do is whine about how veg*n friendless I am What do you guys think? Do you think it's a brilliant or psychotic idea? I mean who knows what wierdo could be borrowing that book from the library? Should I leave a note with it like "if you are like me, a new vegan with no vegan friends email me"??? Arg...this is just too crazy. right?

rvijay, I feel your pain. At least they invited you. I was consciously not invited to a BBQ recently because I am now a vegan! They were just acquaintances, so I didn't really care. But still!!

All here are on this thread are welcome to add me as a friend here. On yahoo my ID is rvijay at yahoo.com

If you see me on Yahoo we can chat.

This is a great post. New Vegans have a hard time finding other Vegan Friends as we are so few in Number. Hence, best support must be given to new Vegans online. Hope all new Vegans take advantage of this thread.
#15 Old 06-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

There is also a Vegetarian Channel and a Vegan channel on mirc on the Undernet server. All are welcome to join and share there.

The more means of communication among us, the better the quality/quantity of communication among us all, the more the entire veggie community will benefit, so feel free to add any suggestions in this regard here.

Vijay
#16 Old 06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

BC is very enviro friendly. There must be quite a few Vegans there. You are also invited to join veganfreaks.net
#17 Old 06-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a warning, guys:

You may not want to post an email address. Spam bots WILL pick up on it and you'll start receiving spam. If you're exchanging, try to do it via PM.

If you must post it, put in the word "at" as opposed to using the @. Like FafaFrappy [at] yahoo.com, or like rvijay did.
#18 Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

BOWLING ALONE: THE COLLAPSE AND

REVIVAL OF AMERICAN COMMUNITY

by Robert D. Putnam

(New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000).

In a groundbreaking book based on vast new data, Putnam shows how we have become increasingly disconnected from family, friends, neighbors, and our democratic structures-- and how we may reconnect.

Source/Full Article:

http://www.bowlingalone.com/

COMMENTS: Due to the net etc., society as a whole is becomming more disconnected than ever. Very famous study in this regard above. Just felt like mentioning this here, as it indicates the need to make new friends for all.
#19 Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I have no RL veg*n friends. I had this crazy idea of writing my email address on the vegan cookbooks I borrowed from the library.

Lol! Well, that's one way to address the problem!

I don't have any veg*n friends either, which is why I came here. It can be tough when everyone in your social circle is an omni, even if they are really trying to be understanding and considerate. Explaining yourself/answering questions all the time gets old. (Use your google-fu, people!) It's nice to be able to come here and communicate with people who "get" you, even if they've never even met you. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like. I haven't quite figured that part of my CP out yet. . .
#20 Old 06-08-2008, 02:59 AM

thanks so much for making this thread...

ive been a vegan for a week and im dying to make friends with other vegans.

my msn id is [email protected]

i love making friends with vegetarians too... the more the merrier. hehe.
#21 Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

thanks so much for making this thread...

ive been a vegan for a week and im dying to make friends with other vegans.

my msn id is [email protected]

i love making friends with vegetarians too... the more the merrier. hehe.

You are welcome.

General Comments:

rvijay thanks himself for this thread. What a nice idea !

I think I am kind of really narrow minded and closed sometimes. This can result in a lot of missed opportunities. THERE IS A HUGE VEGAN CO-OP two blocks or so from my residence. Quite a few Vegans there I heard. I have been a Vegan for 4 years almost and have never been there. However, I am looking for Vegan friends on the net. Talk about playing blind man's buff. How ignorant can I be ?!!

Please read this article on them:

http://media.www.theconcordian.com/m...d-985253.shtml

The price for not keeping on looking and not being open is a lot of lost happiness/opportunities. I just called them, they are open 10 am to 7pm Mon.-Fri. Apart from the restaurant, they have drinks, snacks, ready meals and other activities. Instead of going to omni places, I could have gone here first and supported them.
#22 Old 06-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Here is their picture:

#23 Old 06-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm in Australia where the mighty BBQ is a HUGE part of our culture, we go to at least one BBQ each weekend in summer. We always take a couple of fantastic veggie or lentil burgers to put on the BBQ and I will always make a big yummy salad using chickpeas or a big green salad with lots of nuts to share with everyone and also so we are not left hungry. Incidentally, my salads are always the first to go and I always have people asking me about our lentil burgers which is a nice icebreaker!

Many people eat the way they do because they know no better, but if you're there with a positive attitude and ready to be friendly, then you present an opportunity for them to learn a new way by seeing your example. That's how I view these things anyway.

Great thread too by the way!

Quote:
I had this crazy idea of writing my email address on the vegan cookbooks I borrowed from the library.

Cedre, I'm not sure that I would do this myself... but how about seeing if there's a local animal rights group somewhere near you and getting involved with them - a great place to meet vegans! You could always try to give an omni friend a copy of Earthlings in the hopes of converting them to veg*nism!
#24 Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

THERE IS A HUGE VEGAN CO-OP two blocks or so from my residence.

Nice one rvijay! I don't have anything like that near me - you're so lucky!!
#25 Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by um whatever View Post

-- (Use your google-fu, people!) --

wot? is that google for people in fukuoka in Japan?

Quote:

LOL @ um whatever... Cedre yes, try it at least....Jump on the back of Public Services
#26 Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

-- (Use your google-fu, people!) --

Quote:

ummm YES, Cedre should probably try it at least....Jump on the back of Public Services
#27 Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottejane View Post

Nice one rvijay! I don't have anything like that near me - you're so lucky!!

Please search and find. Even if there are 2 or 3 Vegans locally, atleast start a Vegan Potluck. Your Signature quote in your profile is sooo angelic.
#28 Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade34 View Post

If you like.

Or it could be the ability to quickly find answers to your questions using Internet resources, such as a search engine.

Ta da!
#29 Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Except of course the Nazi vegans which is probably not a movement that many people have heard about, especially if you don't live in Europe. Dangerous people indeed.

I have never heard of them. What kind of people are they?
#30 Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

For those interested, here is my background. I am a Brahmin from India originally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmin

Brahmin's are traditionally peaceful people and vegetarians. Veganism is more advanced in this respect and it also benefits animals. Hence, we all need develop good support system for Vegans. Specially, we must all try to improve the social needs of vegans/vegetarians as much as possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page