Friendship Development Thread. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

Here is their picture:

Incidentally, this is not the only Vegan co-op. There seem to be a few other Vegan/Veggie Co-ops around. Google, search hard and see if there is one in your area. You might even become a Veggie mentor for a newbie there and hence make friends. Volunteering at such a co-op is very, very noble and another great way to make friends.

Also, pass on the link to veggieboards.com via email to your INPERSON Veggie friends, I did this with two people already.

What I find is that Veggie folks are scattered. Meaning which, the person who works at the Vegan co-op is not online and vice-versa. If all veggie folks came together in interaction, it will give us all a much richer experience.

Vijay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Try Vegan Week

http://www.tryveganpdx.com/

This seems to be popular in a few places and looks impressive. Volunteering and mentoring there can help make a few friends in person, even if they don't become Vegan immediately. Also, above site says that there are 1000s of Vegans in Portland, this sounds quite big indeed. Wonder why all these folks are not online, or atleast 20% of them. All this would lead to improved social veggie experience.
#33 Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to Le Frigo Vert at 10 am today. There was a woman called Jessica who welcomed me at the front door. The store was closed but still she welcomed me and gave a brief info. about the Co-op. It went Vegetarian like 5 years ago due to pressure from the AGM. They just have honey, some eggs,

milk and Yoghurt. Other than that, it is all Vegan. The Co-op works under summer hours of 12 pm to 7 pm, she said she will change this shortly on the phone message. Was informed that a lot of Vegans and Vegetarians frequent this store.

I went in again at 12pm. Annual membership is $20. They have a cooled aisle with drinks, sandwiches another with coffee, cookied. They also have a cafetria at the back, quite well furnished, relatively cool compared to the outside temperature, with over etc., to heat the sandwiches. Soy milk is present for the coffee. Everything is very fairly priced and they are nonprofit.

Lots of vegan toileteries, herbs, spices and bulk purchase legumes and grains/flour. Also, some veggies/fruits that are organic.

They also have a Co-op farm food service, it is 250 biweekly or 450 weekly for 18 weeks, starting from June 3rd to Oct. 10th I think. Fresh organic farm produce will be reserved for you for pickup at designated times.

There was a rack at the front where they keep free stuff. There were several Vegan sandwiches that had just expired been placed. It was quite big, wrap actually. Tasted ok, was long, had some veggies, tomatoe paste and herbs. Was there for almost 1.5 hours. Now I feel must have left it for a poor student.

Staff very friendly, some are volunteers. Lots to learn there. People talk freely in the Cafetria area. I hardly go out as I have a lot to do. They also have a reading area. So, now I feel like going there sometimes more often. This is more like a living room now.

Annual membership is $20 which I got. This placed has struggled to survive in the past and has moved a few times. No web page, they are planning on one. Sorry for short review in ancient telegraphic format.

I encourage all to visit this place if possible. As an aside, here is a question, are most Healthfood stores like this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

A few people have called my attempts are artificial or fake. I appreciate these comments as they help to improve what I present here.

I wish to refer to my ancestors practises here. My forefathers have been Vegetarian for 100s if not 1000s of years. There are clear records in India that the Jains have been Vegetarians for 1000s of years. How did they all manage to have such an excellent social environment ? There are a few major factors:

1. Human interaction was quite high as a lot of things were done manually.

2. There were several social/religious functions in which everyone participated.

3. The population of Vegetarians was high to allow 1. and 2.

A lot of interaction also happened in Temples such as these:

The reality of the situation in North America is that, there are a lot lesser Veggie Folks. Also, the interaction among us Veggie folks here is a lot lesser as we spend more time infront of PCs than with other folks. So, this issue needs to be addressed creatively/positively.
#35 Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.meetup.com/

Check out this site. Search your location for nearby vegetarian/vegan get-togethers. It sounds like something you would enjoy.
#36 Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

http://www.meetup.com/

Check out this site. Search your location for nearby vegetarian/vegan get-togethers. It sounds like something you would enjoy.

Yes, this looks good, thanks for the suggestion. The only thing is that I don't go to restaurants often. I prefer to meet and exchange home made meals. Any more such suggestions are welcome. This however is certainly a very good option to consider if I had not found the Food Co-Op.

A General Disclaimer:

I am not trying to promote Indian Culture or Temples here. I just wish to share here what has worked in the past, hoping that it will generate some new ideas for present times.
#37 Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Presently, it is only me who is mostly posting in this thread. I wish to reverse this trend for the benefit of the veggie community. Eventhough I started this thread, I am just a small member here and am insignificant. The most important outcome I would like from this thread is for veggie folks to try and meet more other veggie folks in person. (If I have any related ideas here I will still continue to post from time to time but most of my related ideas are exhausted for now I feel)

Thanks for each and every person who has participated in this thread so far and will participate in the future. If you are looking for friends, don't hesitate to post here in detail. There maybe some minor errors/issues, however, the long term benefits of good friendship is worth it and in this regards sometimes risks need to be taken. Also, post here any related ideas/suggestions etc., Give veggie community friendship your best shot.
#38 Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

All the people I sent out info. on veggieboards have not joined. They are probably busy and content with themselves which is ok. However, the more veggiefolks know where others exist and interact the better.

Soon as I found info. on Le Frigo Vert, I decided to sort of disappear from here but then my conscience knocked. I live in a city and hence have this great place to socialize. But what about all the scattered veggiefolks in rural/remote areas who are lonely. If we don't support them then they may fallback to being an omni. Hence, I feel I must do whatever I can here.

Here is an idea that came to my mind. There is an excellent thread here on Penpals. Some here have atleast heard about speed dating. How about combining the two and creating a new concept called SPEED E-PALS ? Folks who participate will correspond with one member ovr a period of a week or a month, will be given support to ask right questions. This will be revolved to develop a circle of veggie friends. This is just brain storming and comments welcome from all.
#39 Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, this looks good, thanks for the suggestion. The only thing is that I don't go to restaurants often. I prefer to meet and exchange home made meals. ]

Some of the meetups can be potlucks, my local veg one meets AT a veggie cafe but people bring their own home made foods and a place setting. Plus, if you don't find one that fits your criteria, you can start up your own. If nothing else, its a way to find others in your area, and who knows what may come of it?
#40 Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

Some of the meetups can be potlucks, my local veg one meets AT a veggie cafe but people bring their own home made foods and a place setting. Plus, if you don't find one that fits your criteria, you can start up your own. If nothing else, its a way to find others in your area, and who knows what may come of it?

Thanks, good suggestion, I will consider for the future, thanks. There was a meetup for Vegans locally that closed.

Maybe I can combine this idea and start a Le Frigo Vert Vegans meetup. We can all meet at this place, it is also open to bringing our own food it appears.

Brainstorming all ideas for now.

Vijay
#41 Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

You were right on target. I just had to look well:

http://www.veganquebec.net/spip.php?article124
#42 Old 06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi!! I want friends too!!

Like many others, I have no RL veg friends. I start uni in the fall, at a liberal arts college in Vermont where I believe a good percentage of students will be veg*n (the dining hall is 80% vegetarian it seems!) but as of right now, no one!!!

I have aim, but I'm never on. I have a livejournal (synapse__lapse is my username) though I only really use it to check communities, and a facebook which I'm on all the time. PM me if you want to add me on facebook and I can give you info on how to find me!

Anyone in Orange County, California? That's where I live now. How about near Bennington, Vermont or upstate New York or Massachusetts? I'll be in Vermont next year starting in fall
#43 Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in upstate, ny. I've been to VT a few times. You're gonna love it there! Its very veg friendly and lots of cool people.
#44 Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

The New Yorkers are trying to organize a potluck at rabid_childs or my place for July/August. Any of you would be invited I'm sure. I think it's going to be oodlies of fun.

I don't really use chat programs, if people want to PM me to chat or PM me for my work email that would be super cool. I LOVE distractions at work hah.
#45 Old 06-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are a few other ways to improve chances of getting Veggie/Vegan Friends:

1. Start a Blog

2. Support Businesses that are Vegan/Vegetarian, preferable to buy in person and have good chats with the sellers.

3. Reflect how one can benefit/improve the Vegan/Veggie community and/or do something to benefit the veggie folks.
#46 Old 06-14-2008, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Hi!! I want friends too!!

Like many others, I have no RL veg friends. I start uni in the fall, at a liberal arts college in Vermont where I believe a good percentage of students will be veg*n (the dining hall is 80% vegetarian it seems!) but as of right now, no one!!!

I have aim, but I'm never on. I have a livejournal (synapse__lapse is my username) though I only really use it to check communities, and a facebook which I'm on all the time. PM me if you want to add me on facebook and I can give you info on how to find me!

Anyone in Orange County, California? That's where I live now. How about near Bennington, Vermont or upstate New York or Massachusetts? I'll be in Vermont next year starting in fall

Blog of a Vegan from Vermont:

http://hollywoodveg.blogspot.com/
#47 Old 06-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

What can be the ultimate outcome of this thread ?

Vegan/veggie villages initially, then similar towns, cities, states/proveinces, Country eventually. This looks too visionary, however all great projects started as someone had this idea initially.

In India, there were several parts of a city/town that were mostly Vegetarian. Almost totally vegetarian villages were not hard to form as in those days several mostly did agriculture. With lots of Veggie relatives/friends, community no one even thinks of it, it becomes second nature and is fantastic to experience in reflection.

Vijay
#48 Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. A veggie town.Think of that.

I'm here too, and, if you guys don't mind having an old timer for a friend (I've been told by my daughter and her friends that I don't act like an old lady)I would love to talk to you!

I have enjoyed reading your posts. PM me any time. I'm sort of computer challenged,but I'll give it a try.
#49 Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I'm here too, and, if you guys don't mind having an old timer for a friend (I've been told by my daughter and her friends that I don't act like an old lady)I would love to talk to you!

I have enjoyed reading your posts. PM me any time. I'm sort of computer challenged,but I'll give it a try.

Yes, those places are fantastic and I loved them. They were small, the people simple but everything worked and everyone was happy/content. Getting excellent veggie meals is no biggie there and most restaurants are Vegetarian.

Glad you enjoy my posts. You are also welcome to read my Blogs here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/blog.php?u=5701

Here is something I prefer to admit. I was posting most of my cooking experiments at this site: freedomlist.com and got moderated. The moderation was excellent, rather than engaging in discussion I was almost blogging which was annoying I am sure. You can see that post here:

http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/vie...r=asc&start=20

Besides it is an IT site. I also saw a need for a Veggie Blog and so started blogging here. Actually, I prefer to not post on the net at all and prefer to spend time on my own, however I feel a voice inside me, telling me to share my little knowledge in this area.

GENERAL COMMENT:

Consider Veggie Volunteering. If there are no Veggie organizations close to you, then assist someone here on the net or make helpful posts.
#50 Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Veggie town? Like Mt. Athos? Well . . . 200/365 vegan, with occasional dairy,eggs, and the rare fish on the other days. The entire [strike]island[/strike] country.
#51 Old 06-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Veggie town? Like Mt. Athos? Well . . . 200/365 vegan, with occasional dairy,eggs, and the rare fish on the other days. The entire [strike]island[/strike] country.

Since there is interest in this topic, I will explain. This is like a nice bed time tale but a real one.

originally, I am from the City of Chennai, in Tamil Nadu, India. There is a suburban Metro train that runs from a town called Tambaram which is the terminus to the other Terminus which is Madras Beach. There are several stations inbetween. In each of these Stations, there is a small restaurant called Vegetarian Light Refreshment Stall. They were all Vegetarian, I don't recall any being non-veg.

http://www.chennaionline.com/cityfea...02mgtrains.asp

The Jains are very important but extremely nice people in India. They were almost teh first to build charity hospitals for animals. Their top people even cover their face/mouth so that they don't kill bacteria when they breathe. They have a HISTORY OF 9000 YEARS or so and are Vegetarians thru this period.

When I talk of veggie volunteering in my mind I am thinking of all the folks, who prepared Prasadam in temples for festivals, decorated it until they felt tired till late in the morning etc.,

Outside of Chennai there are still places that are VERY, VERY ANCIENT

This is the temple I used to go to before I came to North America. It is very close to my former residence in India

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k51z0LiV_8k

Prayers etc., are still done there as they were done 1000 years ago. It feels soooo ancient and deep there. This temple was built by Raja Raja Cholan's Father I think. About two years after I started frequenting this temple, it was rediscovered by the Archeological Society of India. In this village, there was a restaurant, were one can get idli's 3 for 10 paise in 1990, all made from locally grown stuff. 100 paise =1 rupee. Approx. 30-40 Indian Rupees is 1 US$ I think. So go figure. Initially, when my father built a home in that place we had arguements. But later I loved it to earth.

Then recently I realized something that made great sense. Tambaram and the sorrouding areas were BIG communities in those days. One of the Mughal Generals of Aurangazeb, Nusrat Jang waged a great campaign to the South India:

http://horsesandswords.blogspot.com/...es-of-war.html

As a part of this campaign, he killed and destroyed several folks in this area.

I feel like a Big looser now. This place is close to my home but I never went there. This place was a real treasure in those days and changed big hands several times.

http://www.gingeefort.com/History.asp

Explore the Fort Photo Gallery

http://www.gingeefort.com/photo.asp

India had great invasions from foreigners, the main one from the Mughals from Sakarkhand in now Russia. This went on for several centuries in which period several locals lost their lives and faced great hardships, works of art/literature etc., were destroyed. All these things are documented very well in History:

For eg.,: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3310

From what I understand before this Vegetarianism was even more strong in India.

These days in the name of development/westernization meat eating is spreading in India, this is a concern.

I went on a visit once to a Hill Station called Kodaikanal and stayed at a place called Tiruchirapalli. The food there was so excellent I will never forget. A lot cheaper than a McDonald's quickie but very, very PRICELESS in terms of value. The meal consisted of Rice with Samar, Rasam, Poriyal, Appalam, all served on a Banana leaf. Tiruchi is called the rice basin, no wonder. I tried Vodka recently a full cup, never had so much before. However, I will share a fact. The Vegetarian food in Tiruchi in that LOW CLASS hotel was so good, that it had a better effect on me and create such pleasant thoughts in my mind better than the Vodka, I still remember praying to God that day and thanking him for all these wonderful, priceless gifts.

This Restaurant in Chennai was Vegetarian back then:

http://www.dasaprakash.in/historical-facts.htm

The Masala Dosai and (more fat) Paper Masala Dosai are one of the GREAT vegetarian delicacies that one must experience in their life. I still wonder who was the genius who invented this dish. I have had this so many times and it never dulls me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosai

I feel a bit guilty sharing all this here as some of it is so traditional that many here may not get to taste this stuff. However, I also have an urge to be honest and share all veggie related info.

Udipi hotels are also very popular in Southern India. They are run by folks from a place called Udipi in Karnataka State. All their restaurants are Vegetarian. It is even mentioned in ivu.org in a few places that India has the most number of Vegetarians in the World. So almost Vegetarian towns are not that hard to imagine.
#52 Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Thank you for your post/interest. In these digital days, I must admit that my idea is rather slow and not original. See this link:

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/
#53 Old 06-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

You know I find it curious that no one has added me on msn from these boards; all the other boards I've ever chosen to frequent by this time I would have at least a handful of msn friends!

moon_sun_and_angels at hotmail.com is my msn username (yea yeah I was a kid when I made it, ohkay?)

Thanks for posting here. This encouraged me to see some of your posts on Food Porn. Good work. I hope your efforts succeed.

Only sick folks need medicines but everyone HAS to eat. So the food market is really big and the most basic industry in the world. Routine Vegan food gets boring quickly. In this regard creativity is helpful. In India, from what I recollect there was BIG MONEY in the Vegetarian industry. I read that some of those who got very succesful even had to hire body guards. If Veganism/Vegetarianism gains more popularity in North America etc., then people like Isa Chandra will be big shots.

I am on another Vegan List of Dr. David Weslop. He is very successful Vegan and has made some posts with interests in Vegan restaurants. He is very experienced but a kind and loving man from his posts. He even runs some inns etc., I think that joining his list and posting there will benefit you. Here is his list:

http://vegtalk.org/mailman/listinfo/vml_vegtalk.org

Best Wishes with your efforts,

Vijay
#54 Old 06-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

About 30% of Sikhs are Vegetarians from what I was informed. Also, all their Gurudwara's serve Vegetarian food.
#55 Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys! I want friends too! I'm Liz
#56 Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Liz! I love your bunnies!
#57 Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Since there is interest in this topic, I will explain. This is like a nice bed time tale but a real one.

I feel a bit guilty sharing all this here as some of it is so traditional that many here may not get to taste this stuff. However, I also have an urge to be honest and share all veggie related info.

Very interesting post - I've yet to explore most of the links, sounds very promising in any case,

thanks for sharing! I may never get to India, but it's nice to learn about it and to imagine.

Quote:

Le Frigo Vert ...

I encourage all to visit this place if possible. As an aside, here is a question, are most Healthfood stores like this ?

Oh, I wish they were in my city they are just like (smaller) grocery stores or supermarkets, not like co-ops, which sound really cool. Would love to visit a place like Le Frigo Vert. Montreal is the city where I first had the opportunity to eat yummy vegan foods at a restaurant (an opportunity which - 11 years after my stay in M. - is still rare in my own country...). This encouraged me to learn more about vegan cooking and the benefits of a vegan diet. Subsequently, I went strictly vegetarian (I used to call it dietary vegan but wouldn't anymore!) for some time. But it took me a long way round and several more years to approach and finally commit to veganism first of all for ethical reasons. VB has been very helpful for affirmation of and adherence to this decision!

Quote:

And no women allowed 365/365
#58 Old 06-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

. How about near Bennington, Vermont or upstate New York or Massachusetts? I'll be in Vermont next year starting in fall

Het lavande! Im in Baja VT (meaning western mass. ha) right south of u.

Like nyk mentioned, rabidchild is looking to have a potluck w/the upstaters/ NE area peeps...check out the New York thread!!
#59 Old 06-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering why Indian Vegetarians don't participate in such online boards for a long time. This thread and reflecting on it shed light in this regard. Here is the outcome of my reflection:

India is a Country with Billion people with several Vegetarian folks traditionally. Also, from what I understand in Cities like Bangalore, veganism is also growing. It is very easy to make 200 to 300 Casual Vegetarian friends in India in about a month or so. Infact one can meet so many veggie folks there that there is no time to interact with them all. Hence, when they are living the REAL veggie life with ease, they will not find the time to come online to boards to discuss veggie issues.
#60 Old 06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Ambani was a rags to riches business tycoon in India. Here is Wikipedia on him. His conglomerate was rated among the top 500 Fortune 500 Companies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhirubhai_Ambani

An International School was started under his name that is fully Vegetarian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhirubh...ational_School

His son his US Educated and runs en Energy business etc., He built a Billion Dollar home in Mumbai recently I read somewhere.

I am positive Dr. Rajendra Prasad the first PM of India was Vegetarian as were several other high officials including Indira Gandhi.

So, Vegetarianism in India is very, very deep indeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page