Boyfriend says he will eat veggie if i cook it... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

So my boyfriend of 6 years said he would eat veggie with me at home ( i also do his breakfast and lunch so this is really cutting back on the meat) but he says it has to be good and not "weird" what are some good dishes that are easy for me to make ( i work full time, school full time and have a kid) that taste good and even have false meat in them? I never had the problem with just me because i live off homemade bean tacos....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Feed him homemade bean tacos. I guess the only thing that might be "weird" is the beans. But hey, you're the one cooking!
#3 Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

My bf gets weirded out my textures and what-not. Some things he loves are veggie chili (I put ground round or TVP in it), enchiladas, burritos, stews/soups, and pasta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Feed him homemade bean tacos. I guess the only thing that might be "weird" is the beans. But hey, you're the one cooking!

Or just switch it up a little and do bean burritos in the soft flour tortillas. (rather than tacos which traditionally have the crunchy shells and "meat" right?)

Bean burritos are a pretty "normal" combination, most omnis eat them without question, it shouldn't "weird him out" too much...
#5 Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

A lot of pastas are easily veg*n. Meat-free lasagna, spaghetti/baked spaghetti. "Weird" stuff that he may like- Boca burgers - especially if you grill them, Veggie Riblets, Morning Star Chikn (sp) Strips on a salad/in a wrap... Rice topped w/veggies, PB&J's... If you eat cheese, grilled cheese, mac & cheese... If you eat eggs, omelets, scrambled eggs... toast, oatmeal, cereal... Those are all pretty fast & easy meals. I'll come back & list more later.
#6 Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you already cook for him? What kinds of things do you usually make?
#7 Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsums View Post

So my boyfriend of 6 years said he would eat veggie with me at home ( i also do his breakfast and lunch so this is really cutting back on the meat) but he says it has to be good and not "weird" what are some good dishes that are easy for me to make ( i work full time, school full time and have a kid) that taste good and even have false meat in them? I never had the problem with just me because i live off homemade bean tacos....

Ok, you work full time, go to school fulltime and have a kid...HE should cook for himself!!!!
#8 Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

^^I would cook for my BF too if he agreed to go meatless, no matter how much stuff I had to juggle.
#9 Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Ok, you work full time, go to school fulltime and have a kid...HE should cook for himself!!!!

To be fair, it sounds as though having the op cook is more about vegetarianism than any sort of laziness or chauvinism her man's part.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

To be fair, it sounds as though having the op cook is more about vegetarianism than any sort of laziness or chauvinism her man's part.

Yeah right....I bet her man is hoping that's what she'll think too.

This guy is already having his breakfast and lunch cooked by his girlfriend and now he's about to get his evening meal cooked by her too, even though she has look after her kid, go to school and work full time....'get stuffed you lazy arshole' is what I'd be saying.
#11 Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like he's trying to get out of cooking duty.
#12 Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Others might not agree with it, but the easiest way to get my bf to not eat meat is on a day where he doesn't want to cook and will just have what I'm having. I'll gladly do it (hell, I'm cooking for myself anyway, may as well make an extra portion) because it means he's eating healthy veggie food for that day. And it's not like it's extra work for me since I'm cooking already anyway.
#13 Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

It sounds like he's trying to get out of cooking duty.

That was my first thought. He found a loophole that he thinks he can exploit so that he can sit on the couch while you slave in kitchen. I hope this isn't the case, just how I read the OP.
#14 Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Beginner

He may be, or maybe he just has no clue how to cook vegetarian. Most people don't volunteer to cook in a manner completely foreign to them.

Perhaps you could discuss sharing the cooking duties. Some of the best times we've had are ones where my boyfriend and I are cooking together...he's chopping while I'm sauteeing, etc. We are a great team in the kitchen and have even thought about opening a restauraunt together

As for quick easy meals,I make all sorts of soups. I usually start out with veggie broth or diced tomatoes in a can, or both, then add various veggies and spices. Sometimes I put noodles in, sometimes I don't. Pasta meals are easy too--saute veggies/seasonings of your choice and put them on top of the noodles of your choice. I second the meat free spaghetti and veggie lasagna. You might google 'slow cooker vegetarian recipes'....I know there is a book out there with recipes for some too. You may find something you can throw in the crock pot in the morning and eat later that night. You can make different salads by chopping a variety of veggies (my favorite is cucumber and tomato) and coating them with Vegannaise, sour cream, flavored mayo, whatever, and adding a few seasonings.
#15 Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara_Malia View Post

He may be, or maybe he just has no clue how to cook vegetarian. Most people don't volunteer to cook in a manner completely foreign to them.

Because not adding meat to a stir-fry or anything else is sooooo difficult.
#16 Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Find out his favorite meat recipes and then go to vegweb.com and find recipes for vegan versions of them.

Vegweb was a savior to my best friend's first attempt at veganism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page