The natural food section - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM

I was in the Natural section today and saw a girl who you could totally tell was vegan, pretty, and roughly my same age. As it's rare to find any other vegetarians in this city at all, I thought it was cool, but did not say anything to her because I didn't want to disturb her shopping. The other week I saw a cool obviously-vegan guy and let him walk away, too. What a shame! I should just strike up a conversation with them next time. Have you ever met someone at a grocery store? Have you ever been hit on while grocery shopping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you should speak up next time, greenrunner. You've got nothing to lose!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I think you should speak up next time, greenrunner. You've got nothing to lose!

sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

You definitely should have said something. I wouldn't mind being hit on the grocery store. Hell, it would make my day!
#5 Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

You definitely should have said something. I wouldn't mind being hit on the grocery store. Hell, it would make my day!

Especially by someone as cute as greenrunner.
#6 Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post

Especially by someone as cute as greenrunner.

Cute guys like greenrunner definitely up the enjoyment factor!
#7 Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM

omg you guys.

She was looking at the 2 different types of rice milk, and I wanted to ask her if she had tried that one particular brand, because I was interested in trying, but alas, I failed. I do want to try that rice milk though...
#8 Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i got hit on by some flaky hippie once in the nat. foods section. he was skeevy.

then i once got hit on in the *dairy* section. he was also a lawyer. i never called him back.

other than that, i sometimes wonder about the WF workers. they always seem like they are flirting w/ you. and i heard that the employees have been told to be "flirtatious" w/ the customers.

thats even skeevier than the hippie.

lol.
#9 Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

i got hit on by some flaky hippie once in the nat. foods section. he was skeevy.

then i once got hit on in the *dairy* section. he was also a lawyer. i never called him back.

other than that, i sometimes wonder about the WF workers. they always seem like they are flirting w/ you. and i heard that the employees have been told to be "flirtatious" w/ the customers.

thats even skeevier than the hippie.

lol.

lol!

See, I didn't want to be that type of guy, and come across skeevier than said hippies. I also automatically assume anyone half decent like that is in a relationship already. love your diction, as always.
#10 Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

You should have talked to her!! As lond as you're nice and not creepy, it's usually welcomed.

I joke a lot that I need veg*n friends so bad that one day I'm just going to sit in front of the MSF case with a sign that says, "will cook for vegetarian friend!"
#11 Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I joke a lot that I need veg*n friends so bad that one day I'm just going to sit in front of the MSF case with a sign that says, "will cook for vegetarian friend!"

Yes, haha! I need to be more pro-active in my search for veggie friends. Maybe tshirts are in order!
#12 Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It never hurts to start a conversation! She might be kicking herself right now for not starting a conversation with you!

If you just casually ask about a product, you can pretty much judge by a person's reaction if they're interested in continuing the conversation. If they don't seem excited you're talking to them, just thank them and walk away. Once you start the convo, the ball is in their court and whether or not it continues is up to them
#13 Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My only advice on what to say to a girl you approach in public: Don't be like my friend Billy. Here is a real example of Billy's pick-up tactics.

Billy (holding a box of raisins): Hey. You hungry?

Girl: Uhhh...

Billy: Want some raisins?
#14 Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post

My only advice on what to say to a girl you approach in public: Don't be like my friend Billy. Here is a real example of Billy's pick-up tactics.

Billy (holding a box of raisins): Hey. You hungry?

Girl: Uhhh...

Billy: Want some raisins?

#15 Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

lol!

See, I didn't want to be that type of guy, and come across skeevier than said hippies. I also automatically assume anyone half decent like that is in a relationship already. love your diction, as always.

i *am* eloquent, no? lol.

just dont be the guy who rolls up to the girl, blocking her in the corner and slyly ask "what country are you from" and "how long have you been here,you look russian"

(i took that to mean i looked like a russian mail order bride. haha)

besides, whats the worst that could happen?

she would come on the internet at some veggie board and slander your macking skillz?
#16 Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The natural foods section is the best place to talk to fellow veg heads.

Starting a conversation with someone about food is easy to do.

I've had a few guys ask me how to cook tofu

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#17 Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you need to take a look at this thread: Top 10 Veg pick up lines
#18 Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

The natural foods section is the best place to talk to fellow veg heads.

Starting a conversation with someone about food is easy to do.

I've had a few guys ask me how to cook tofu

Is that the modern, vegetarian equivalent of "come and see my etchings?"
#19 Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfc View Post

Is that the modern, vegetarian equivalent of "come and see my etchings?"

It just might be

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#20 Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

You're pretty hot so you should be able to get away with chatting a girl up, provided you don't come across as too eager or desperate.

Might aswell give it a try!
#21 Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind a friendly quick convo in the HFS or wherever with a fellow veg*n about products etc, but I find guys who try and pick you up that way are annoying and it does come across as desperate to me.
#22 Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

i think its worse to linger in the produce section molesting melons and things. its so freudian.

#23 Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:

i think its worse to linger in the produce section molesting melons and things. its so freudian.

oh **** i didnt think anyone was watching
#24 Old 05-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Butternut squash.
#25 Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

lol!

Sometimes I get the impression that women think every guy making an innocent move is skeevy if the woman isn't immediately attracted to him.
#26 Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

If I got hit on in a grocery store I'd swoon myself silly--I love grocery shopping, lol--I called it foreplay to a friend once and then laughed saying I was kidding. She laughed at me and said "no, actually, you're not, thats whats hilarious." (edit: uh.. foreplay to cooking.. I don't actually.. with my groceries... yeah..)

she knows me well

Toronto's got such a high vegan/vegetarian content though that I'd get looked at funny.. *sigh* but I do strike up conversations all the time at hte grocery store, especially in the natural food section--you know how I have an opinion on everything online? I don't act so different irl either, heh... Generally I wait until I'm asked a question though, I dont just barge in and say "omg don't get that one get this one!"... sometimes I dont need to be the one asked the question though.. like a couple was shopping the other day and they were trying to figure out the difference between different firmness of tofus--I used what I had learnt (from here actually--thanks tofu mom!) to work and gave em a quick explanation. ^__^

I want a veg boyfriend who likes to grocery shop... man.. that would be THE BOMB.
#27 Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

If I got hit on in a grocery store I'd swoon myself silly--I love grocery shopping, lol--I called it foreplay to a friend once and then laughed saying I was kidding. She laughed at me and said "no, actually, you're not, thats whats hilarious." (edit: uh.. foreplay to cooking.. I don't actually.. with my groceries... yeah..

I'm totally the same way. My friends always ask me why I go grocery shopping so much. I go at least once every two days. I just like to cook fresh, and I enjoy the walk, so why not? I bring my iPod and just wander for a long time, and I know some of the clerks by name. I always bump into friends there, it's nothing unusual because I'm there so much. The cool part is that the store I shop at has a little cafe area, and a book store, so I can take a break in between to prolong my visit

ok, so I have a lot of time to kill some days
#28 Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Greenrunner--we should start a club. "People for the Enjoyment of Grocery Shopping". PEGS.

We could start a sub-group "People for the Meeting of Other People who Might Want to join PEGS" or PMOPMWP for short...

We could have a secret decoder ring and everything... made from organic bamboo of course...
#29 Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

Greenrunner--we should start a club. "People for the Enjoyment of Grocery Shopping". PEGS.

We could start a sub-group "People for the Meeting of Other People who Might Want to join PEGS" or PMOPMWP for short...

We could have a secret decoder ring and everything... made from organic bamboo of course...

I'm in. You know what's funny, lately I'm even keeping my eye open for shop lifters. Like, if someone looks skeevy (to use my BFF's lingo), I'll trail them for a bit to make sure they're legit. It's like, this is my territory, get lost! I haven't caught anyone yet.
#30 Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

this sounds like it might lead to gang wars in the grocery stores. Natural food section vs. the deli!!

the best places are big stores that are open super late or 24 hours...you can dilly dally forever, reading labels, comparing prices, playing w/ the toy and tchotkie section, graze the bulk food bins....its what you do when you have no night life in your area! for real, my friends and i have been known to spend ridiculous amounts of time there.

good times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page