Yippiee (relatives unsuccessful at hunting)!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

For the third or fourth time in a row my uncle and his buddys were unable to shoot and kill an elk this year!!!!!!!! Yay! Go Elk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

Maybe 30 years ago I went deer hunting with bow and arrow. On the morning of the nineth day no one had gotten any thing. That morning I picked my spot, along came this 8 point buck. I got up swung around fired and just missed under his belly. When I got back to camp and told the other two guys, they were so pissed off at me. The five hour ride home was ugly. I didn't go for gun season that year, and never went hunting again. I no longer own any bows or guns.

Yeah, so cheers for the Elk.
#3 Old 11-12-2007, 03:09 AM

Good job elk!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Yay Elk! I don't mean any harm to your family, I've just always found this sticker comical!

I Love Hunting Accidents!

#5 Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saishoku View Post

Yay Elk! I don't mean any harm to your family, I've just always found this sticker comical!

I agree! GO ELK!
#6 Old 11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

thats mean. no one says they are happy when your acitivty fails. I know this is a veggie forum, but there are there people that hate all differnt activites

how would you feel if they ( lets say a water pollution group) said they were glad you couldn't go waterskiing because your boat broke.
#7 Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

For the third or fourth time in a row my uncle and his buddys were unable to shoot and kill an elk this year!!!!!!!! Yay! Go Elk!

A friend of my family frequently comes to our property to hunt deer... I don't approve, but I've never said anything. I do smile to myself, though, whenever I see him come back empty handed (which has been everytime so far!).
#8 Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying_to_be View Post

thats mean. no one says they are happy when your acitivty fails. I know this is a veggie forum, but there are there people that hate all differnt activites

how would you feel if they ( lets say a water pollution group) said they were glad you couldn't go waterskiing because your boat broke.

How would you feel if you were a murderer and someone took your gun away before you could kill another human?

Personally, I would be glad that your "activity" failed.

I know what you are trying to say, but I just don't see killing as a "sport" as acceptable. Just because someone enjoys hunting doesn't make it right.
#9 Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

How would you feel if you were a murderer and someone took your gun away before you could kill another human?

I know what you are trying to say, but I just don't see killing as a "sport" as acceptable. Just because someone enjoys hunting doesn't make it right.

Agreed!
#10 Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saishoku View Post

I would put that on my car !!
#11 Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

SOme people do it for food. I am not saying I think t is right or worng, however the person I knew that did it only hunted stuff that was

a)over populated

b) above the sze limit

and since of coruse he coulnn't eat it all he donated the meat since apperantly there are lots of places that wil donate te meat to homeless shelters.
#12 Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm glad when hunting fails as well. I don't think it's mean to have some satisfaction that a hunter was unable to kill an animal. Why would that be mean? I think it would be mean to be happy if the hunter was successful.

Quote:

I'm glad when boats break so people can't water ski. However, I'm glad when most sports boats break anyways...

Quote:

SOme people do it for food. I am not saying I think t is right or worng, however the person I knew that did it only hunted stuff that was

a)over populated

b) above the sze limit

and since of coruse he coulnn't eat it all he donated the meat since apperantly there are lots of places that wil donate te meat to homeless shelters.

Regardless of why people do it, I don't think hunting is okay. If the animals are over populated now, I would consider that a human fault and supporting the death of them only makes it worse.

If being over populated is a reason kill, then perhaps we should consider that humans are over populated.

I believe everything.
#13 Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

If being over populated is a reason kill, then perhaps we should consider that humans are over populated.

LOL true, true.
#14 Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thats mean. no one says they are happy when your acitivty fails.

On the contrary, most people say they are happy when someone's activity fails, when e.g. people talk about how it was great when an assassination attempt of a politician failed, or an attempt to blow up a building failed, etc.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#15 Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

On the contrary, most people say they are happy when someone's activity fails, when e.g. people talk about how it was great when an assassination attempt of a politician failed, or an attempt to blow up a building failed, etc.

no Sevenseas, only mean people say that. Nice people always support other people in whatever they want to do, even if it involves mass death and destruction.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

chalk me up as a mean person...

some of my relatives also went hunting (for deer) over thanksgiving weekend...

and i was very glad when they came back empty handed!!!!!
#17 Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I did my little happy dance for my husband's cousin when he returned from Montana with NOTHING too!!!!!!!! Yippie for elks!
#18 Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

no Sevenseas, only mean people say that. Nice people always support other people in whatever they want to do, even if it involves mass death and destruction.

If that is true, then everyone is mean because no one supports all people in whatever they want to do.

I'm glad when hunting attempts fail. It's likely that I may even get some amusement if a hunter came back with a huge puncture wound from the tusks of the boar they were trying to kill.
#19 Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

If that is true, then everyone is mean because no one supports all people in whatever they want to do.

I'm glad when hunting attempts fail. It's likely that I may even get some amusement if a hunter came back with a huge puncture wound from the tusks of the boar they were trying to kill.
#20 Old 12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladolcevegan View Post

Yeah, I did my little happy dance for my husband's cousin when he returned from Montana with NOTHING too!!!!!!!! Yippie for elks!

Yeah, now they can go buy factory farmed meat! Not saying I support hunting by any means, but if you're going to eat meat, then hunting is the more ethical choice, IMO.
#21 Old 12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladolcevegan View Post

Yeah, now they can go buy factory farmed meat! Not saying I support hunting by any means, but if you're going to eat meat, then hunting is the more ethical choice, IMO.
#22 Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

My sentiments exactly. I grew up in a very rural area where just about everybody either hunts, or has a bunch of friends who hunt, which means they get lots of free, un-factory farmed meat, and on occasion, jerky. Every hunter with whom I've spoken at length (remember, I know lots of them!) don't hunt for the thrill of the kill, but for food. The more spiritual-minded also get a serious spiritual connection just by being outdoors. Without getting preachy, they tend to marvel at the beauty of Creation and how cool God is for creating it. These same folks take real pride in getting a clean kill, meaning one where the animal suffers as little as possible--compare that to factory farms!

In this area, being so uber-rural, there are places that are notorious for car-deer collisions. On my way home from my in-laws' not four hours ago, I nearly took out a doe and a pair of fawns with my little Mitsubishi Lancer, complete with a wife and six-month old in the backseat. I've also seen the aftermath of such collisions many times, and sometimes, the humans are killed, too. If an animal is to die, I'd much rather it to be for the sustenence of a family or three, rather than for an insurance claim.

Granted, there are jerkoffs out there who kill for the fun of it, but in my twenty-three years of experience in this proverbial neck of the woods, they are the exception, not the rule.

That was all basically my long-winded way of saying "I agree with nataliex1122." Omnis are going to eat meat, and when they do, I'd rather see it come from the result of hunting rather than factory farming.
#23 Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

My sentiments exactly. I grew up in a very rural area where just about everybody either hunts, or has a bunch of friends who hunt, which means they get lots of free, un-factory farmed meat, and on occasion, jerky. Every hunter with whom I've spoken at length (remember, I know lots of them!) don't hunt for the thrill of the kill, but for food. The more spiritual-minded also get a serious spiritual connection just by being outdoors. Without getting preachy, they tend to marvel at the beauty of Creation and how cool God is for creating it. These same folks take real pride in getting a clean kill, meaning one where the animal suffers as little as possible--compare that to factory farms!

In this area, being so uber-rural, there are places that are notorious for car-deer collisions. On my way home from my in-laws' not four hours ago, I nearly took out a doe and a pair of fawns with my little Mitsubishi Lancer, complete with a wife and six-month old in the backseat. I've also seen the aftermath of such collisions many times, and sometimes, the humans are killed, too. If an animal is to die, I'd much rather it to be for the sustenence of a family or three, rather than for an insurance claim.

Granted, there are jerkoffs out there who kill for the fun of it, but in my twenty-three years of experience in this proverbial neck of the woods, they are the exception, not the rule.

That was all basically my long-winded way of saying "I agree with nataliex1122." Omnis are going to eat meat, and when they do, I'd rather see it come from the result of hunting rather than factory farming.
#24 Old 12-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanCyde View Post

The more spiritual-minded also get a serious spiritual connection just by being outdoors. Without getting preachy, they tend to marvel at the beauty of Creation and how cool God is for creating it.

"How marvelous is all this beauty that God has created. Now let us destroy it!"

I know hunters like to appeal to having a "spiritual" connection to other animals by killing them for their culinary desires. I think the kind of "connection" they have is twisted and egocentric. It is really a disconnection, seeing animals only through the anthropocentric lens of the ideology of animal exploitation.

Quote:
In this area, being so uber-rural, there are places that are notorious for car-deer collisions. On my way home from my in-laws' not four hours ago, I nearly took out a doe and a pair of fawns with my little Mitsubishi Lancer, complete with a wife and six-month old in the backseat. I've also seen the aftermath of such collisions many times, and sometimes, the humans are killed, too.

You don't see the problem in car-deer collisions being things like the absence of a fence and the cars driving too fast, instead of the deer?

But if killing a sentient being is a form of connecting to him/her and to nature, then I guess car-deer collisions are a good thing because when cars manage to kill animals, that brings humans closer to a spiritual understanding of nature. (/sarcasm)

Quote:
Granted, there are jerkoffs out there who kill for the fun of it,

Eating meat is not necessary for us, it is done mainly out of habit, social convention and because people like the taste. In other words, reasons that are really only about "fun", not necessity. To kill for meat is to kill for "fun".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#25 Old 12-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The more spiritual-minded also get a serious spiritual connection just by being outdoors. Without getting preachy, they tend to marvel at the beauty of Creation and how cool God is for creating it.

"How marvelous is all this beauty that God has created. Now let us destroy it!"

I know hunters like to appeal to having a "spiritual" connection to other animals by killing them for their culinary desires. I think the kind of "connection" they have is twisted and egocentric. It is really a disconnection, seeing animals only through the anthropocentric lens of the ideology of animal exploitation.

Quote:
In this area, being so uber-rural, there are places that are notorious for car-deer collisions. On my way home from my in-laws' not four hours ago, I nearly took out a doe and a pair of fawns with my little Mitsubishi Lancer, complete with a wife and six-month old in the backseat. I've also seen the aftermath of such collisions many times, and sometimes, the humans are killed, too.

You don't see the problem in car-deer collisions being things like the absence of a fence and the cars driving too fast, instead of the deer?

But if killing a sentient being is a form of connecting to him/her and to nature, then I guess car-deer collisions are a good thing because when cars manage to kill animals, that brings humans closer to a spiritual understanding of nature. (/sarcasm)

Quote:
Granted, there are jerkoffs out there who kill for the fun of it,

Eating meat is not necessary for us, it is done mainly out of habit, social convention and because people like the taste. In other words, reasons that are really only about "fun", not necessity. To kill for meat is to kill for "fun".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#26 Old 12-25-2007, 04:14 PM

#27 Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Hey, way to totally not read my post. Since you so obviously missed it, I'll repeat it: They get this connection from just being outdoors. The connection these folks experience happens even when they don't even lay eyes upon an animal that they're attempting to hunt. You don't even know these people, so how can you jump on your high horse and judge them in such a way? And people call Christians judgemental...

Quote:

In my recent experience, the road had a guardrail on one side, a sheer rock face on the other, and I was doing about twenty miles under the speed limit, and I still only missed the trio of deer by a couple of feet. You're clearly quite ignorant of rural areas, as fencing even a quarter of those roads would be a herculean task. Nevermind the fact that such fencing would cut off deer (and a myriad of other animals) from food/water supplies, and would wreak havoc on the winter rutting cycles.

Quote:
In other words, reasons that are really only about "fun", not necessity.

Once again, you flaunt your ignorance of rural life. There are many folks who, especially with today's stratospheric gas prices, can barely make it through winter without a deer because they simply can't afford to buy all their food. The closest supermarket is half an hour's drive (or more!) from some of these places. Again, gas prices. Here, let me put it to you this way: two "towns" that I'm referring to have literally no cell phone service, no cable TV, and only a lucky few have a high-speed internet connection.
#28 Old 12-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If an animal is to die, I'd much rather it to be for the sustenence of a family or three, rather than for an insurance claim.

Well, every animal will die. Since it must, I'd rather it not be because of human influence at all.

I don't see really why people make the claim that hunting is better than factory farming and therefore hunting is okay.

I think if I liked to eat humans and decided I had two options,

a) go out and shoot, kill, and consume a random person on the street

b) raising a person from birth and keeping them in some kind of 'factory farm-like' situation so I could then one day kill and consume it

It would be silly for people to say that option a) is better than option b) so option a) must be okay.

Personally I'd hope that people would say they're both ****ed up and wrong. So just don't do it.

---

I too am from a rural area (north Idaho). Many hunters claim to enjoy making the connection or a clean kill, however their other comments, laughter about injuring animals, stories about injuring animals, or the detailed discussion of their kill, etc, tells a far different story. I think most hunters revel in the possibility and potential to kill as well as the actual killing itself. If not, why else kill? Not having the money for food is a poor answer, for the most part. Hunting licenses, bullets, guns (or gun upkeep), gas to drive to kill, vehicles to drive to kill, (and some take time off work and go camping to hunt), the miscellaneous stuff used to go hunting, etc all cost money. That time and money could be devoted to many other foods.

Sure it does cost much less in certain places in the world, but for the most part, I just can't agree that money is the issue.

Quote:

There are many folks who, especially with today's stratospheric gas prices, can barely make it through winter without a deer because they simply can't afford to buy all their food. The closest supermarket is half an hour's drive (or more!) from some of these places. Again, gas prices. Here, let me put it to you this way: two "towns" that I'm referring to have literally no cell phone service, no cable TV, and only a lucky few have a high-speed internet connection.

Perhaps those places aren't good for people to live then? Or what about a garden? It doesn't take gas to grow a garden.

I believe everything.
#29 Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 PM

LOL, there's a Google ad for a 3d Deer Hunting game at the bottom of this page. Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Well, every animal will die. Since it must, I'd rather it not be because of human influence at all.

Neither would I, but the reality is that some animals are going to die because of human influence.

Quote:
Not having the money for food is a poor answer, for the most part. Hunting licenses, bullets, guns (or gun upkeep), gas to drive to kill, vehicles to drive to kill, (and some take time off work and go camping to hunt), the miscellaneous stuff used to go hunting, etc all cost money. That time and money could be devoted to many other foods.

Here in VA, if you're on your own land or have the permission of the owner of said land, you don't need a license. Around here, a family might have several acres of land (likely passed down a generation or three to them) and yet be broke. It might be different in your neck of the woods, but here, it's usually closer for folks (well, the ones I claim "need" to hunt) to drive to wherever they're hunting than it is for them to drive to the supermarket. Admittedly it probably isn't the best option, but it works for them. Who am I to begrudge them that?

Quote:
Perhaps those places aren't good for people to live then?

LoL, tell that to a family that's been at one of those places for a few generations. Up in the mountains, that sort of thing isn't exactly unheard of.

Quote:
Or what about a garden? It doesn't take gas to grow a garden.

Many people do grow gardens during the spring and summer, but that can't help but so much, especially once winter frosts start. Coincidentally (or not), hunting season here comes at about the same time as the first frosts.

A fact that I think is being overlooked here is simply that no matter how many times we (as Vegetarians/Vegans) tell each other that eating meat isn't necessary, omnis are going to eat their meat. We don't have to like it or agree with it, but begrudging them or judging them isn't going to help matters, especially if we want them to become Veg's, too. Five or six months ago, when I was still an omni, if I saw somebody judging my anthropocentric views or comparing me to a cannibal (which has all kinds of negative connotations), there's no way in hell I'd have taken them seriously.
#30 Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Neither would I, but the reality is that some animals are going to die because of human influence.

Some people are murdered too, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to murder for some random reason. That's what you seem to be saying, that well animals will die at the hands of humans so it's okay if they hunt them, just not factory farm them.

Quote:

LoL, tell that to a family that's been at one of those places for a few generations. Up in the mountains, that sort of thing isn't exactly unheard of.

What does having ancestors in an area have to do with anything?

In the translated words of Nietzsche,

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Quote:

Many people do grow gardens during the spring and summer, but that can't help but so much, especially once winter frosts start. Coincidentally (or not), hunting season here comes at about the same time as the first frosts.

Yeah, well people can grow more food than they need at the moment and store the rest. Quite a few foods store rather well.

Quote:

A fact that I think is being overlooked here is simply that no matter how many times we (as Vegetarians/Vegans) tell each other that eating meat isn't necessary, omnis are going to eat their meat. We don't have to like it or agree with it, but begrudging them or judging them isn't going to help matters, especially if we want them to become Veg's, too. Five or six months ago, when I was still an omni, if I saw somebody judging my anthropocentric views or comparing me to a cannibal (which has all kinds of negative connotations), there's no way in hell I'd have taken them seriously.

Not agreeing with something is in a sense judging it. This issue people have with judging actions is silly since everyone is judging each other's actions all the time, and it's how we make progress.

I believe everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page