vegan nursing home? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Banned

What is going to happen to us older vegans if we should need round-the-clock care, perhaps in a "nursing home." Where are we going to be able to go if we are accustomed to, and want to continue to have, a vegan environment, where we and the people around us don't eat flesh? There are kosher nursing homes for kosher Jews. And all kind of specialty nursing homes for various ethnic and religous reasons. Shouldn't vegans be concerned about having vegan nursing homes for senior vegans. Maybe even a system for providing help for extremely disabled vegans who need round the clock care? Esp since many of use consider veganism as related to the core values of life, its deepest meaning, much the way people think about religious ideas. Do we want our elder vegans to suffer being force-fed animal products, in non-vegan nursing homes? That is what I think will happen, if we don't start thinking about this NOW and working on it NOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I totally agree with you! My mom works in a nursing home and she is vegetarian (eats eggs and dairy.) This is a nice nursing home that is very expensive and she is appalled at the way the residents are fed. Everything has meat in it and everything is fried or prepared with a sauce/gravy (we're in the south.) She eats in the cafeteria when she works and she has a hard time finding things to eat. She told me there is one woman who does not eat meat and she mostly makes a meal out of side dishes. It is definitely not a good environment for a veg*n.
#3 Old 09-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I were talking about this a few days ago...we would love to go to an all vegetarian (vegan friendly) retirement home. I bet some already exist...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2003, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Again, no answers but it's something I have also thought about. I should ask my Mom what she thinks, since she works in one as a nurse. I imagine they take into account that some people have food allergies and they serve around that, so they would likely have alternate dishes for people who didn't care to eat meat either. Not ideal though, but better than being force fed animal products. Something exclusive to vegans would be great, I doubt anything (large scale anyway) like that exists simply because there isn't enough demand for it. Perhaps that might change over the next couple of decades. Wishful thinking? I hope not.
#5 Old 09-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliner View Post

I doubt anything (large scale anyway) like that exists simply because there isn't enough demand for it.

I think it would be best to establish vegan nursing homes, as not-for-profits -- and that this would eventually increas the interest in veganism. In other words, do things the other way around. Instead of having a demand create the service, have the service create the demand. How is that? If people knew there were vegan nursing homes, perhaps they would feel more comfortable about going vegan -- much the way they began feeling more comfortable about going vegan after the onset of vegan prepared foods. I think that things just need a little push like this -- then they can appear to be "snowballing" by themselves. Produce enough of an illusion of something happening to meet a their demand, should they make one, and this makes people more comfortable about making the demand, and they start making it, and this influences others to meet the demand, which further make people more likely to make the demand, go vegan.
#6 Old 09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

At the very least agitation for vegan/vegetarian options in existing nursing homes would be a blessing. Think of how other institutional food service venues like elementary school kitchens have been influenced by agitation from parents and concerned citizens to provide healthier and/or veg options.

There probably aren't too many vegans in nursing homes yet or even those who are extremely near to entering one, but in about 30 or 40 years this could change drastically. If we begin to agitate now, huge improvements to the dietary offerings in general in institutional kitchens could be made.

I think it's very important for people to impress upon their families too how much continuing a vegan diet throughout life is to them. There might come a time when one is unable to communicate one's wishes, it would be helpful to have those in the position of decision maker won over.
#7 Old 09-26-2003, 10:49 AM

With any luck, veg*ns typically being healthier than omni's, won't need the assistance of a nursing home and can remain self sufficient and independent until the last days. That's whay I'm hoping for anyhow. *fingers crossed*
#8 Old 09-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

There's probably some truth to that, but with pollution, accidents, and other factors that are beyond our control even vegans are bound to fall prey to the diseases or health catastrophes of age. It's a good idea to be prepared, I suppose.
#9 Old 09-26-2003, 11:51 AM

I did some research on my lunch looking for vegetarian options at nursing homes. It appears that most will, in fact, be considerate of the dietary needs of veg*ns. Hopefully, whoever is making the decision on which nursing home to enter, researches all the options regardless so that the person is well taken care of.

I read in a magazine one time while waiting on my doctor to see me, that this photographic reporter from America had to go to another country for a story. I believe it was Thailand or a similar Asian country. She had been feeling down about reaching her 50th birthday...really was depressed. She came back revived and feeling more alive than ever. This is because of the way the younger people treated her. They rallied around her when she spoke and were captivated by her stories. They treasure their elders and look to them for wisdom. The elders are held in the highest regard an deeply respected. In the months she was there, she learned to be proud of the experiences that had added a line or two to her face. She realized the value that she had added and was still adding value to the world and the people she interacted with. She left bummed out at getting older and came back proud of the fact that she was an elder wise woman.
#10 Old 09-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, definitely let your family know how important it is to you to remain veg*n throughout your life. There are some people where my mom works who are not able to make decisions for themselves any more and there are lots of things that are done to them under "doctor's orders" whether they would choose it or not. This is a problem because the doctors may not see them often and may not be aware of the person's wishes if they do not have an advocate who will stick up for them. The people who's families are involved end up receiving much better care.
#11 Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM

I did research on this issue in 2012 and concluded it would be best to build vegans and vegetarians continuing care retirement communities overseas. One possible location is Thailand because the Thais are mostly Buddhist and vegetarians. Nearly all restaurants offer vegetarian dishes not as a concession to a few, but because that's what many consumers demand.

The difficulty with Thailand is language. The Philippines is a better location for this reason. The public school system uses English starting at the 3rd grade. Private schools teach in English from kindergarten. Philippines has an overabundance of unemployed and underemployed nurses numbering around 400,000. Healthcare services are available at a 50% to 70% discount compared to US prices. Some memory care facilities in the United States are now charging $10,000 a month. Medicare won't reimburse because this is considered custodial care. The same quality Alzheimer's care, actually it is much better and more compassionate, is available in the Philippines for less than $3,500.

The retirement community is a village that would be exclusive for vegans & vegetarians. For independent seniors, the village can offer long-stay vacation packages. According to the US Department of Health & Human Services, 70% of American 65 years and older will eventually need care services. The village would provide assisted living and skilled nursing services for anyone who needs it. This utopian ideal was presented as a new business opportunity paper. It so happens that a retired investment banker read it and said, "Let's do it!"

Vegan Retirement is a village in the Philippines whose residents are vegans and vegetarians. The construction will start in 2013. If the first is popular, others will be built by competitors. Maybe it might inspire the senior housing market to build similar facilities in the United States.

#12 Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUser View Post

With any luck, veg*ns typically being healthier than omni's, won't need the assistance of a nursing home and can remain self sufficient and independent until the last days. That's whay I'm hoping for anyhow. *fingers crossed*

That is exactly what I was thinking.  Veg*ns have less of the chronic diseases of old age.  My grandmother ended up in a nursing home after breaking her hip at age 96.  She lived alone and had someone come in to do light housekeeping and laundry.  She cooked for herself.  She ate a nearly vegetarian diet her last 20 years and died of her body wearing out.

Still, it would be good if people started demanding a veg*n diet in nursing homes.  They are expensive enough that you should be able to eat anything you want.

#13 Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

Are there any studies showing that vegans and vegetarians live longer as independent seniors than the general population?

If and when you need assisting living or skilled nursing care, where are the facilities who will accommodate your dietary requirements beyond a plate of boiled vegetables?

Are you willing to suffer the indignity of dining with others who are eating meat?  

#14 Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Yes.  I have thought about this often.  Whenever I raise the issue people are somewhat appalled.

It's as if they don't believe they will need any help, or they believe they will be able to survive on their own indefinitely shopping at Whole Foods and cooking independently.

What happens when they get dementia, can't walk, or drive

have no friends or family to assist them?

I believe in self provision and would like to work with a group of people to create our own home before our time runs out waiting for something less than adequate.

I want a vegan home with these amenities: pool, sauna, organic garden, floral gardens, art studios,

yoga/meditation rooms, acupuncture, and busing to area museums, etc.; I want linkage to volunteering situations that realize the value seniors have to juniors.

Any takers?

#15 Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somsy View Post

Yes.  I have thought about this often.  Whenever I raise the issue people are somewhat appalled.

It's as if they don't believe they will need any help, or they believe they will be able to survive on their own indefinitely shopping at Whole Foods and cooking independently.

What happens when they get dementia, can't walk, or drive

have no friends or family to assist them?

I believe in self provision and would like to work with a group of people to create our own home before our time runs out waiting for something less than adequate.

I want a vegan home with these amenities: pool, sauna, organic garden, floral gardens, art studios,

yoga/meditation rooms, acupuncture, and busing to area museums, etc.; I want linkage to volunteering situations that realize the value seniors have to juniors.

Any takers?

I like the idea. I volunteer with seniors, do you? It is rewarding, and they are so lonely.
#16 Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Yes, I read about the venture in the Philippines.  The photos and the write up of the project look fabulous.  I for one will not count on the family assuring my needs in a home should that become eventually.  I have been in many homes to visit the elderly and provide companionship as a social service in a volunteer capacity  It is always shocking to me how incredibly unappealing the environment is.  The air quality is consistently horrible.  There is little to do other than  brain numbing Bingo and idiotic gossip.  The food is unwholesome and I pity the poor vegan that is left to rely on the concern of the uneducated.  Imagine knowing what you know and then being confined to an environment you know to be unhealthy surrounded by people who accept it as their lot in life, with no alternative but to consume the sides of over processed, GMO food without the nutrition that brown rice, nuts, fresh organically grown veggies and fruits you know are healthy provide.  Within a month the doctors will begin their dance of death prescribing sedatives and anti-depressants.

I would LOL, but it is sad.  We need to learn from the older cultures and apply the models here. 

#17 Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Yes, I do.  It is inspirational.

#18 Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM

While I agree completely that we are generally going to be healthier, there is the unknown.  Genetic issues, slips and falls, dementia to name a few.  On a more positive note think of the sense of community that would arise rather than living alone.

#19 Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJReyes View Post

Are there any studies showing that vegans and vegetarians live longer as independent seniors than the general population?

If and when you need assisting living or skilled nursing care, where are the facilities who will accommodate your dietary requirements beyond a plate of boiled vegetables?

Are you willing to suffer the indignity of dining with others who are eating meat?  

http://www.llu.edu/public-health/health/index.page
Study suggests vegetarians have longer life span.
#20 Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM

I am a speech language pathologist who works in skilled nursing facilities. I have worked with patients who are vegetarian or vegan. The kitchen staff has seemed to work around it, but the patient's diet is very limited. More than a few times, I have heard the complaint that all they get for lunch is a veggie burger every day or grilled cheese if they eat dairy. I have spoken with nutritionists about adding more variety, but they often believe very strongly in the necessity for animal protein. They have even believed sugar substitutes like Equal to be healthy. I am certainly hoping that I will escape the chronic medical conditions that lead a person to being admitted to a SNF.
#21 Old 03-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyKat View Post

I am a speech language pathologist who works in skilled nursing facilities. I have worked with patients who are vegetarian or vegan. The kitchen staff has seemed to work around it, but the patient's diet is very limited. More than a few times, I have heard the complaint that all they get for lunch is a veggie burger every day or grilled cheese if they eat dairy. I have spoken with nutritionists about adding more variety, but they often believe very strongly in the necessity for animal protein.

Wow, thanks for sharing.

I imagined something like that might be the case, it's quite terrible to imagine anybody, least of all somebody who chose to have compassion for other living things in life, to have to bear that kind of mistreatment.

Do you think there's anything we can do as a community to help them?

I don't know if we'd have the numbers, from a medical perspective, to have vegan nursing homes, but maybe something like a meals on wheels thing?

There might be facilities in India, or Southeast Asia, if we could work out the visa issues... though I don't know about the quality of medical care one would receive there.

#22 Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Banned

#23 Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Diettitians of Canada guideline re vegan diets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyKat View Post
I am a speech language pathologist who works in skilled nursing facilities. I have worked with patients who are vegetarian or vegan. The kitchen staff has seemed to work around it, but the patient's diet is very limited. More than a few times, I have heard the complaint that all they get for lunch is a veggie burger every day or grilled cheese if they eat dairy. I have spoken with nutritionists about adding more variety, but they often believe very strongly in the necessity for animal protein. They have even believed sugar substitutes like Equal to be healthy. I am certainly hoping that I will escape the chronic medical conditions that lead a person to being admitted to a SNF.
Here is a link to the dietitians of Canada which talks about the merits of a Vegan diet, and gives details about what the diet consists of, supplements etc. Perhaps you could print it off to show it to those who are out of date on their information.
This is definitely something that I have been thinking of and was wondering if, until things change, a volunteer network to assist vegans living in care homes could fill a gap. What do people think?

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-R...or-Vegans.aspx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page