Vego and non vego relationship - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 PM

I dont think its so much about force here really, just awareness, and in terms of respecting someone else decision not eat meat...hmmm well thats sort f it but on the respect and awareness level i dont think it counts if someone is using misguided information or even just 'their opinion' to do what they want and 'be respected' for it, yes i dont think its your place to 'force' someone else to do anything but c'mon, you'd literally have to bind and gag and then force feed somene to control what they eat. Jeska im sorry but the way youve worded your input makes me question a few things...do you buy free range meat for your animals, i wonder what sort of animals you have, are they rescued and in rehabilitaion or are they pets, i think its weird to hear people say that they stand for this and they stand for that - and im not referring specifically to you anymore Jeska - but that they 'respect' other people, thats such a cop out for sitting on the fence and well hmmm not standing up for what your beliefs. I dont think its about being politically correct or using vegetarianism to stroke your own ego as though being vego somehow makes you a better person but its ok for everyone else to be 'bad' if they wanna be. I think if you think its wrong than its wrong, it should be wrong to yourself and to who ever else if that how you feel, thats not pushing your views onto someone else, thats having a strong and solid opinion and belief on said subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

I'm married to a meat eater who is very supportive and respectful of me be a vegetarian. I'm just as respectful and supportive back. We cook for each other and we're fine with that. As far as kissing goes, he has to at least rinse out his mouth if he's been eating meat before we kiss. We're raising our daughter as an meat eater for now, but she will be exposed to veg*nism through me and will have the option to stop eating meat if she wants to.

It works for us. Being a vegetarian is *my* choice and I'm not going to force it on other people. If people have questions I'm willing to answer them and even help them with becoming veg*n if they want, but I won't force them to do it. I learned the hard way when I first became vegetarian, that forcing other people into anything isn't the way to go and I've also learned not to be preachy about it.

I do hope you dont mind me butting in here but feel i have to reply to you bringing up your daughter as a meat eater. I was raised as a meat eater by my two meat eating parents, once i reached 14 and realised i was veggie and the reasons why i wanted to go veggie i kind of resented them for not giving me the option.

I have two children 8 and 11. I decided to raise them as veggies as i though id give them the option when they were old enough to decide what was right. Thankfully they have followed my path as a veggie (although im vegan now, i wouldnt expect them to be just cause i am) i dont think i could allow meat to be prepared and cooked in my kitchen, maybe a little ocd of me but thats how strongly i feel about it, wish my parents would have given me the choice before shoving their dead animals on me as a baby, maybe they knew no different but really wouldnt want my children to feel the same as i did when i found out where my food really came from.

Bright blessings

May i add i think you are very strong to be with a meat eater, i personally dont think i could be, but its down to personal choice at the end of the day, we have to go with our individual feelings of what makes us happy.
#33 Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 PM

I do buy organic free range meats for my bf & pets. I have two cats, one rescued & one from the RSPCA & I have a rescued Blue Tongue. I am an animal carer. I raise & release lots of different animals & a lot of them have to be fed on meat but it's always free range/organic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

*tosses two pennies into the thread*

My last relationship was with an omni, I found it difficult aside from the other onslaught of problems he gave me. Mealtimes, beliefs, etc.. When I was with a vegan, life was much easier. But he also wasn't psychotic.
#35 Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Haha psychosis does present a slightly bigger problem than dinner.
#36 Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Oh yes and just to update, the problem now seems to be dinner at his friends houses, I dont want to be rude or snooti but he just doesnt get it, he thinks I should be cool to just eat the roast veggies of the side of a roast dinner meal or even if there cooked on another tray and not in the lamb/chicken/whatever juice, I feel like the pet, like everyone tucks into there meal, and i get the 'here you go + eat up like a good little kitty' plate of whatever is easy. Hmmm no thanx to sitting around while everyone else chows down on some roast meat, and me sitting there like the odd one out. His friends have even done the old....'well what do i feed her' as i say i so feel like some rare species of endangered animal that needs specialty food. And im starting to feel like its more of a talking point and novelty that 'he has a vego girlfriend' rather than it being at all what its about now, its about not eatingother sentient beings and being aware of not killing them, which means hmmm not sitting there with others who wish to take delight and enjoy what i choose not to. SIGH.
#37 Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by petal9 View Post

Oh yes and just to update, the problem now seems to be dinner at his friends houses, I dont want to be rude or snooti but he just doesnt get it, he thinks I should be cool to just eat the roast veggies of the side of a roast dinner meal or even if there cooked on another tray and not in the lamb/chicken/whatever juice, I feel like the pet, like everyone tucks into there meal, and i get the 'here you go + eat up like a good little kitty' plate of whatever is easy. Hmmm no thanx to sitting around while everyone else chows down on some roast meat, and me sitting there like the odd one out. His friends have even done the old....'well what do i feed her' as i say i so feel like some rare species of endangered animal that needs specialty food. And im starting to feel like its more of a talking point and novelty that 'he has a vego girlfriend' rather than it being at all what its about now, its about not eatingother sentient beings and being aware of not killing them, which means hmmm not sitting there with others who wish to take delight and enjoy what i choose not to. SIGH.

Yup been there and never want to go back again. If the next man in my life (though not sure if i want one IN my life at all right now) isnt a vegan or veggie then hes gonna have to be very very respectfull of my beliefs and rules about no dead animals in my kitchen.
#38 Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 PM

SIGH again.....
#39 Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 PM

I find it difficult to meet vegetarian guys in the area.

[Northwest Florida]

I'd rather date a vegetarian or vegan but it's not really that important.
#40 Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 AM

It's not your partner, it's your partners family and friends which will cause the most grief.
#41 Old 07-04-2007, 01:33 AM

I couldnt go back to having a non vego partner, it comes with too many hassles that I cant be bothered getting involved in.
#42 Old 07-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Beginner

im meeting a non veggie who is very veggie friendly. Yeah i know said i wouldnt but Ah well ;-)
#43 Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Beginner

iv just spent the weekend with the most wonderful meat eater iv ever known. He went out to buy me some pre packed rice dish that was vegan (now this guy had dated a veggie before but was totally unclued up to vegans, but really worked hard to make himself aware of vegan diets just for me which feels so nice, so for him to find a pre packed rice dish just for me was wonderful) and when we had sunday lunch together today he made sure we found a place with a vegan option, didnt whinge or make silly comments once.

Not one joke or comment cracked about my obsessivness, no silly questions about pointy teeth and total respect for my feelings and beliefs. OMG and the most amazing blue eyes

Aggggghhhhhhh stop me someone please lol

Anyway this person (who isnt on here, obviously cause hes a meat eater lol) gets my award for the nicest meat eater in the world award.
#44 Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDream View Post

iv just spent the weekend with the most wonderful meat eater iv ever known. He went out to buy me some pre packed rice dish that was vegan (now this guy had dated a veggie before but was totally unclued up to vegans, but really worked hard to make himself aware of vegan diets just for me which feels so nice, so for him to find a pre packed rice dish just for me was wonderful) and when we had sunday lunch together today he made sure we found a place with a vegan option, didnt whinge or make silly comments once.

Not one joke or comment cracked about my obsessivness, no silly questions about pointy teeth and total respect for my feelings and beliefs. OMG and the most amazing blue eyes

Aggggghhhhhhh stop me someone please lol

Anyway this person (who isnt on here, obviously cause hes a meat eater lol) gets my award for the nicest meat eater in the world award.

Your so cute!!!!! Haha He sounds like a great catch, and who knows with his receptiveness and respectfulness he may even cross from the dark side if he hangs around you long enough!!!
#45 Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Your so cute!!!!! Haha He sounds like a great catch, and who knows with his receptiveness and respectfulness he may even cross from the dark side if he hangs around you long enough!!!

Well he has made a few comments that suggest he might be interested in going veggie so who knows. He told me the other day hes started to eat loads of salad since he got chatting to me (pre packed ones, but i guess its a start lol). When he stays at mine next weekend ill introduce him to some easy cook special nice veggie food, maybe that will be the final push hehehe
#46 Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Beginner

My bf ate meat when I first met him a couple years ago, but never in front of me. When we moved in together I made it very clear that there wasn't going to be any meat in our apt. and he was totally cool about it. I wouldn't have moved in with him if he had a problem with it. He hasn't eaten meat now since december and has only eaten it a few times in the past couple years. He won't let me call him a vegetarian, but I am very proud of him.

So I can't say that I wouldn't date someone that eats meat, but it is so nice to have someone that doesn't. It makes it so much easier at meal time. I hate cooking for just one person, so it is very nice that he will eat what I make.

I would always give someone a chance though, maybe they just need you to teach them a little about the lifestyle. and maybe they can be converted
#47 Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM

My girlfriend eats meat...We've been together for 9 months. Everything has been fine for the most part. Lucky she is really considering going vegetarian now. :-) ! :-) :-) :-)
#48 Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I may have almost completely converted my boyfriend into a vegetarian. The only time he ever eats meat is when my family forces it down his throat or when his Mom cooks it. We eat most of our meals together though and he now prefers to eat vegetarian when he's by himself. I'm so proud of him! He'll probably never go 100% vegetarian unfortunately, even though he knows all of the reasons to be one, but at least he's completely supportive and does his best to save the animals He knows that when we get married, there will be NO meat in our home, period. He's okay with that.

For all of you who are in a relationship with a non-veg, it can take time to rub off on them. Mark and I have been together for 2 and a half years. The first 9 months, he wasn't supportive of my vegetarianism at all. Then he started to encourage me to be vegetarian. About a year and a half ago he started eating less meat himself, cutting it out almost completely about 6 months ago.
#49 Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

My dh was a mammal meat eater when we met, now he's a pesc which i don't really have a problem with. I am trying to (and will) phase dairy out of his diet.
#50 Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

My wife eats meat. The thing is, when I met her, we were both veg*n, and I felt an immediate connection to her because of it. Since she started eating meat again almost a year ago, it's been a really tough adjustment for me. We don't eat together much anymore, and when we do, she won't eat the stuff I've prepared for the family. Thankfully, she has respected my wishes to continue to raise our little girls as veg*n. It's just a tough adjustment, but I think it's like any change that a partner goes through; the other partner is affected, too.
#51 Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMix View Post

My wife eats meat. The thing is, when I met her, we were both veg*n, and I felt an immediate connection to her because of it. Since she started eating meat again almost a year ago, it's been a really tough adjustment for me. We don't eat together much anymore, and when we do, she won't eat the stuff I've prepared for the family. Thankfully, she has respected my wishes to continue to raise our little girls as veg*n. It's just a tough adjustment, but I think it's like any change that a partner goes through; the other partner is affected, too.

I feel for you, that must be rough maybe she'll have a change of heart sometime and come back to the veggie side.

m8itcanw8.com
#52 Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

We don't eat together much anymore, and when we do, she won't eat the stuff I've prepared for the family.

this is sad, i think.

my husband (omni) always eats my veggie fare and we eat together a lot, even if he's not eating veggie at that moment. i love that time spent with him.
#53 Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Zoebird, I know what you're saying about spending time with your husband. I LOVE cooking with my boyfriend not just because of the food, but because it's something we do together. I think it says a lot about a man who will eat vegetarian with you, even if he's a hardcore meat eater. Many guys are just trying to be macho when they say they need meat at every meal, but I think it takes a REAL man to think for himself and support the one he loves
#54 Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So recently i conluded that my next partner will have to be vego....problem being my vego tree hugging self is starting to fall for a friend in the military, he's your typical animal eater and im not sure if this is too much of a personality difference, he's always at mine so im not really confronted with his stuff and his food and diet, he had brought it up too asking how would i go at a bbq with him eating meat, even if its cooked away from me, i find it repulsive, even knowing its in his body makes me feel a little weird, has and is any one able to maintain a relationship with this in play? Im not sure i could, secretly id want to convert him but i dont want to do that or have that in there either...

My boyfriend is a meat eater. He is really sweet and respectful of me. I respect his right to eat whatever he wants. Most of the time it doesnt get to me, unless Im already in a bad mood. LIke the other day I was PMSy and we were carrying a ton of stuff back to his apartment and he made me carry his big thing of frozen steaks and I was like "ew I dont want that" and he just stared at me blankly.

I basically just wont tolerate any disrespect. If they want their dietary choices to be respected they must respect ours. My boyfriend has never put me down or made fun of me {at least not since we have been dating, he was a little meaner to me when we were just friends}. He says he understands why Im a vegetarian just doesnt want to be one himself.

I dont see why it couldnt work, unless you are extremely AR, and want every aspect of your life to fit in that lifestyle.
#55 Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Zoebird, I know what you're saying about spending time with your husband. I LOVE cooking with my boyfriend not just because of the food, but because it's something we do together. I think it says a lot about a man who will eat vegetarian with you, even if he's a hardcore meat eater. Many guys are just trying to be macho when they say they need meat at every meal, but I think it takes a REAL man to think for himself and support the one he loves

I agree, my man will eat pasta without meat that I make, even though I tell him I wont be mad if he cooks some meat for himself. He said "its ok I dont NEED to have meat at every meal". I thought that was cool.
#56 Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TrailMix

That is rough, I hope you can still live in harmony with that. Ultimately that would be the problem. I think while your dating it is kinda ok, the little problems dont seem so bad, but in the long run and as a life partner it would be tremendously difficult for me to maintain a harmonious relationship with someone who doesnt share these patterns.
#57 Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been with a non-vego from over 2.5 years now and we just have an understanding: I don't push him to change and he doesn't try to change me. He is very open though, he always eats the veggie foods I make, he is always willing to try new things and likes most of them. I don't cook meat, he cooks it if he wants it. Mostly he gets it when we eat out and I make veggie meals when we are at home. It just works for us and I think he may actually become a vego down the road. In the beginning I didn't think this possible, but he has come around a lot and seems interested in how I eat and the things I make. It is all very exciting!

I think the key to being with a vego is to find one that respects you and your decisions.
#58 Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

I agree, my man will eat pasta without meat that I make, even though I tell him I wont be mad if he cooks some meat for himself. He said "its ok I dont NEED to have meat at every meal". I thought that was cool.

No one needs meat at every meal. It's funny how many people think they eat meat at every meal when in reality they don't. I went to TGI Fridays on Friday and I was making a joke that my 15-year-old cousin would share my alcoholic drink with me. He thought I meant a meal and his response was "We can't share, I'm not a vegetarian." Just made me think... my sister-in-law shared with me and loved what I ordered. Many people think they're carnivores when they're not. I've asked people and they almost always say they don't eat vegetarian. I then jump in and say "You're never had a green bean or carrot before? Those are vegetarian. Bread? Apple? Banana?" *shakes head* Our crazy society...

Today, I made a DELICIOUS soup with faux chicken. If you want the recipe... Chicken in a Pot, No Pie It's so easy to make this recipe vegan or vegetarian. Very healthy too! Next time, I may not add the fake meat, just have all veggies. The broth is really good!
#59 Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

No one needs meat at every meal. It's funny how many people think they eat meat at every meal when in reality they don't. I went to TGI Fridays on Friday and I was making a joke that my 15-year-old cousin would share my alcoholic drink with me. He thought I meant a meal and his response was "We can't share, I'm not a vegetarian." Just made me think... my sister-in-law shared with me and loved what I ordered. Many people think they're carnivores when they're not. I've asked people and they almost always say they don't eat vegetarian. I then jump in and say "You're never had a green bean or carrot before? Those are vegetarian. Bread? Apple? Banana?" *shakes head* Our crazy society...

Today, I made a DELICIOUS soup with faux chicken. If you want the recipe... Chicken in a Pot, No Pie It's so easy to make this recipe vegan or vegetarian. Very healthy too! Next time, I may not add the fake meat, just have all veggies. The broth is really good!

Its true no one needs it. They sure think they do though. Like my boyfriend will eat a veggie meal, but he always has to make up for it by having a steak later. He will say "I really need to have a real meal, I need the meat". I dont get it?
#60 Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Its true no one needs it. They sure think they do though. Like my boyfriend will eat a veggie meal, but he always has to make up for it by having a steak later. He will say "I really need to have a real meal, I need the meat". I dont get it?

It's all a show. I blame those Burger King commercials (I am Man!). I think part of it is society. Just like we're brainwashed to like certain things depending on our gender. Girls are supposed to like dolls, cooking toys, clean toys, and other calm toys. Boys are supposed to like trucks, loud toys, building blocks, action figures, etc. I took a sociology class and an assignment was to visit a toy store and examine how the toys were geared towards boys and girls. I never noticed it until then. It's insane. I think this is true about food too. Guys are "supposed" to like steaks and lots of nasty meat. Girls are "supposed" to like salads and grilled chicken. It's so sad because it's not how it's really supposed to be. Many people are raised vegetarian and they don't feel the need to eat meat to have a "real meal." It just shows that it's how you're raised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page