Married to an Omni or Omni turned Veggie? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 AM

My husband is an omnivore. Since he met me he has decreased his meat consumption a great deal. Every day I feel like he sympathizes more and more with animals rights. He never buys meat for our home and only eats meat out if it's free range. He's interested in the health aspect as much as the cruelty side of it. I really want to support him through what I think is a transition to a veggie lifestyle. Does it just take time? Do I just need to be patient?

Does anyone have experience being with an omni that turned into a veggie? How did it go? How long did it take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I think it's a bad idea expecting him to change completely. You should be thankful for what he does and not dwell on what he doesn't do. Be encouraging and let him know that you appreciate it. Eventually he'll probably come around but it should be something he decides to do on his own.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluephlox1 View Post

Do I just need to be patient?

Probably a good idea. Take things slowly and let him arrive at his own pace. It's best not to be too pushy as you're already in a fortunate position having him be so veggie tolerent. There's lots of people on the board who are finding things at home quite difficult because their partners are anything but sympathetic. Hang in there

m8itcanw8.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

The best advice I can give to you, speaking of experience:

Have zero expecations. Or you will be disappointed.
#5 Old 01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I reckon don't try and push anything, let him go at his own pace. He knows you will support him if he does decide to be vegetarian, but it needs to be his own decision, not something he does because he thinks you'll approve. Trying to influence people can often make them resist. And even if he doesn't go completely vegetarian, at least he's eating a lot less meat than he used to.

I was with my husband for three years before he turned vegetarian. I didn't used to talk about it much at all, being vegetarian was just something I did, but because we cook our meals together he didn't cook any meat at home. When I was transitioning towards being vegan last year, I was doing a lot of reading about animal welfare, environment etc, and he read some of the stuff I was reading and after a few months decided to be vegetarian. He talked about the idea for a bit, and I said that obviously I'd be happy but it had to be his own decision, and eventually he decided.
#6 Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

I think you shouldn't try to change the person you're with, whether it's their eating habits or their beliefs or anything else.

If you don't like someone how they are, you need to find someone else.

Don't take this personally, I mean it in very general terms; not directed solely at you.
#7 Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM

I've been with my husband for over 4 years. He has always been supportive and understanding about my vegetarianism, but he has shown no sign of interest in becoming one himself. He does eat far less meat than he would if he hadn't married me, though. I agree with the others to not get your hopes up, since he may never become a vegetarian. But certainly be supportive and helpful if shows interest. Good luck.
#8 Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks all. I never pressure him. It's just my own silent hope. I've been thrilled about his choices thus far- only eating free range meat/eggs and really thinking about his actions. I guess because he's now so aware, I just wonder if he'll take the next step. But that's me putting my desires on him. Perhaps one day it will happen. Until then, I'll continue to make him delicious veggie foods to show him food still tastes good when you go animal free.
#9 Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

That's the best way to do it.
#10 Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 PM

My husband is also an omni, who eats much less meat now. However, he still does eat it. I was just wondering how you know if something is free range or organic when eating out? Do only restaurants that advertise as having that do that?
#11 Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 PM

It does take time. At least you have some hope, since he already is migrating towards a veg diet.
#12 Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

When I started dating my husband, I was vegan and he was omni. By the time we were married, we were both omni. I became vegetarian shortly after we were married, and now we are both vegan. It is possible, but he'll have to come to it in his own time and on his own terms. I had ordered some vegetarian starter kits and he finally picked one up and read it cover to cover. That's what convinced him. We went veg at different times, but we have gone vegan together.
#13 Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegmomof2 View Post

I was just wondering how you know if something is free range or organic when eating out? Do only restaurants that advertise as having that do that?

You can count on animal products at restaurants being factory farmed, unless specially advertised as free range or organic - which they would definitely advertise, if that were the case. The VAST majority of animal products come from factory farms, so it's unique when some product doesn't.

OP - I think that you can let him know your feelings, and express that you're pleased when he doesn't eat animal products. Just be honest about your thoughts and feelings about it, and invite him to watch videos, read books with you, etc. Although you cannot force him to change. If he is someone who has any empathy for these animals, he will change on his own, given some information and help

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 01-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

www.eatwellguide.org has local farms and restaurants that have humanely raised animal meat. I use it to get my cats' food.
#15 Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegmomof2 View Post

My husband is also an omni, who eats much less meat now. However, he still does eat it. I was just wondering how you know if something is free range or organic when eating out? Do only restaurants that advertise as having that do that?

Some menus tell you but not every place advertises it. If we are at a nice restaurant he will always ask. If the server doesn't know, they go and ask the chef. Many good chefs like to use free range because there is more flavor. But they don't always say it on the menu. I wouldn't expect your local olive garden to have free range, but if you're out for a night on the town, def ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page