#1 Old 07-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Here

Check out the last paragraph.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

heh.. all i can say is i have a four year old vegan daughter who is in excellent health..
#3 Old 07-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

heehee...what a crock.

of course, i would expect nothing less from babycenter. that has got to be the worst source of information for pregnancy, childbirth, and parenthood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Beginner

i have a hard time believing 2 slices of cheese has the same amount of protein as 2 cups of beans! wtf!?! i think this article shows how ignorant the author is..
#5 Old 07-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

What a joke. I don't get the purpose of her article. She obviously dosen't know anything about veganism. My 3 1/2 yr old has always been vegan and he's very healthy. I didn't see a mention of childhood obesity, juvinille diabetes, ect., ect. I guess that wouldn't help her point. I stay away from all of those "Parents" articles or baby -magazine health concerns. They are usually industry-suported and are nothing more then advertisements for corporations and food proccessors.
#6 Old 07-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

What a joke. I don't get the purpose of her article. She obviously dosen't know anything about veganism. My 3 1/2 yr old has always been vegan and he's very healthy. I didn't see a mention of childhood obesity, juvinille diabetes, ect., ect. I guess that wouldn't help her point. I stay away from all of those "Parents" articles or baby -magazine health concerns. They are usually industry-suported and are nothing more then advertisements for corporations and food proccessors.

I think it would be cool if you (and oneness) would somehow publicize or publish your experience as a successful vegan mother. All these negative portrayals require positive portrayals to balance it out.
#7 Old 07-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

No offense, and I'm not necessarily agreeing with the article either cause I haven't read the whole thing.... but:

If you know statistics,

Single case studies alone do NOT debunk evidence taken from a large population.

Reporting the health of one veg*n child means nothing.
#8 Old 07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

She's from my area. Maybe I can write up something nice with some info for her. I have to be nice, though, I might end up working with her, we are both in health sciences!

ETA

I put three foods into a nutrition calculator. 1 cup of beans has more than 15 grams of protein. Same as in 2 oz of chicken or over 2.5 oz of cheese. Servings of meat for an adult are supposed to be no more than 3 oz and cheese no more than 1 oz for an adult.

Food 1 CHICKEN-BROILERS OR FRYERS

-DRUMSTICK-MEAT&SKIN-COOKED

-ROASTED 1::1 oz::28.35 grams (small amount, should be about 3 oz)

Food 2 BEANS-REFRIED-CANNED 1::1 c::252 grams

Food 3 CHEESE-NATURAL-MONTEREY 1::1 oz::28.35 grams

Nutrients Food 1 Food 2 Food 3

Calories 61.24 269.64 105.75

Protein grams 7.65 15.62 6.95

Fat grams 3.18 2.77 8.59

Carb g 0 46.62 0.2

Sodium mg 25.52 1068.48 152.04

Vitamin A IU 28.35 0 269.33

Vitamin C mg 0 15. 12 0

Sat Fat grams 0.86 1.03 5.41

Cholesterol mg 25.8 0 25.23
#9 Old 07-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I wasn't giving my son's diet as a testimony to veganism being healthy, but a well-informed parent can raise their child on a vegan diet without fearing "rickets", ect. I also didn't see any statistics regarding the health of vegan children, so I don't know what "evidence" is being studied in regards to the article. I would be glad to have my son involved in a study of vegan children, but they are few and far between outside of cultural/religious veg*n's.

I think what Epski meant that it would be encouraging for other vegan mom's to have resources which suit them, rather then the usual omni viewpoint. I have loads to say...(obviously, blah, blah, blah)
#10 Old 07-16-2003, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, punkmommy, that is what I meant. I'm quite familiar with statistics, too, thanks to the epidemiological background and studies of my wife.

I'm more interested in public opinion. The more positive portrayals we see, the more the tide of public opinion turns our way.

I hate to always bring gay and lesbian issues into this, because one's a choice and one's not, but look how far that group has come in the last ten years as positive portrayals in media and entertainment have shaken up the public's way of thinking. I think we need to do the same, and to define ourselves as a consumer market to be taken seriously.
#11 Old 07-16-2003, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

#12 Old 07-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

40% said yes

60% said no

Not bad, considering how uneducated people are, about dairy products, especially.
#13 Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 AM
Banned

Epski writes:

=================

I hate to always bring gay and lesbian issues into this, because one's a choice and one's not, but look how far that group has come in the last ten years as positive portrayals in media and entertainment have shaken up the public's way of thinking.

=================

I remember gays working at this 30 years ago, and making this same remark 30 years ago. So things must be progressin rather slowly if they are still doing the same thing, and still making the same comment about their results. Not that slow progression is a bad things. I just want to make it clear that changes often don't happen as fast as one might like. Some cultural beliefs are deeply ingrained.
#14 Old 07-17-2003, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Everything progresses slow, yes. A script I want to get made is based on novel written over half a century ago, about blacks living in a white world. I want to do it as a period piece so that people will see the parallels and realize just how far we haven't come, Jim Crow laws or not.
#15 Old 07-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I really didn't see the problem with the article, since it did answer the question " Is it alright to raise my child VEGETARIAN" I didn't see Vegan anywhere. The author didn't knock it, she actually said vegetarianism was fine.
#16 Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

Wiccanveg: the author knocked a vegetarian diet. She says it is difficult to make it suitable for children.

She says:

===============

The biggest problem with a vegetarian diet is that kids must eat a lot of food to get enough calories, protein, and iron. A child would need to eat four to six times the volume of non- meat protein sources to get the amount of protein found in a single serving of meat or cheese. For example, to get the same amount of protein in two slices of cheese, your child will have to east two cups of beans. Children who can't eat that much won't get enough protein; their intestines lose some of the ability to absorb fat, which exaggerates a calorie deficiency and can result in a child's failure to gain weight.

================

She is saying that many children won't gain weight unless they eat an inordinate amount -- 4 to 6 times the volume -- of veg food, as they eat animal-based food, such as meat, or cheese.
#17 Old 07-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

The last paragraph mentions a "carnivorous" diet. Do some parents feed their babies only meat?

#18 Old 07-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Should parents really worry about protein? Breastmilk, the perfect food for babies and children is only 5% protein!
#19 Old 07-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The last paragraph mentions a "carnivorous" diet

This shows that the author of the article is not very educated as she/he doesn't even know the proper term for someone who eats plants and meat.
#20 Old 07-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

The article's author pretty much just rehashed all the old myths about why you have to eat meat and cheese. Considering she's a registered dietician, we should all be very afraid of just how far up the educational chain the National Dairy Board has apparently reached.
#21 Old 07-22-2003, 11:32 PM

When I was pregnant with my last child, my doctor raised concerns about my vegan diet. He said that I would most likely suffer from anemia and that being vegan would affect the baby's weight and development. I did have very mild anemia at one point in the pregnancy( even meat eating mothers can suffer from anemia during pregnancy) but my baby weighed 11 pounds at birth and has been very advanced developmentally.
#22 Old 07-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG...11 lbs?!!! That hurts just thinking about it!!
#23 Old 07-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure which percentage is correct, but I read the other day that breastmilk is 1.5% not 5% protein, if that's the case we need even less protein!!

Quote:
my baby weighed 11 pounds at birth and has been very advanced developmentally

My baby was 10 lbs at birth and is also very advanced for her age. I was only a vegetarian though...but we definitly prove that veg*n moms can have big, healthy babies!
#24 Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 AM

does anyone have a link that breaks down the nutritional components of breastmilk percentage wise?

i am having a hard time finding info on how breastmilk might change over time, fat content and nutrient wise. we are told that the breastmilk a 20 month old gets is different than the breastmilk a one month old gets, but how much research has actually been devoted to finding out just how much they are likely to differ? and how much research has gone into finding out how much a mother's diet really affects the quality of her milk?

my 19 month old is still eating very little in terms of solid food, and according to the medical establishment she should be anemic (she's not) and undernourished. i don't think that she is undernourished, but in the absence of any good, hard data, that's just my mama intuition talking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page