Getting Spiritual - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure this is the right place for this but....

I'm trying to become more spiritual, as Al-Anon recommends it for lasting peace of mind.

I am the sort of person now who meditates occasionally, & believes in a personal deity (Pallas Athena) who I believe has helped me.

But I am really getting slack on doing my Wiccan rituals & proper, regular meditation. I read about it a lot, & I tell people I'm a "Shambhala Wiccan" when they tell me I need Jesus in my life, but I'm not practicing my belief right now.

How can one kick start their faith again?

btw- I have ZERO interest in converting to Jesus or Christianity, but if Christians can suggest ways of staying actively spiritual, I'd love to hear more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Being a spiritual Wiccan is not about the rituals it is as much a way of living as a religian.

I think the best form of spirtuality is not in what you do but in how you live.
#3 Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Beginner

Have you thought about going for a walk? Where there's lots of trees and such - Wicca is an earth based religion, with much focus on elements. I've found that I don't practice rituals very often anymore, but I do meditate when I can, and funny enough, my cat's name is Athena. I know sometimes it can be hard. I'll send you a PM tomorrow about some more stuff (i'm a wee bit tired right now - 1:40am and all)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
(Pallas Athena)

Who is this? I only know a little about Wiccan, but I am curious about learning more. I thought wiccans did not believe in a deity?
#5 Old 04-25-2006, 06:11 AM
Banned

Wiccans actually believe in two deities - the god and goddess. It was a major problem with the religion for me which otherwise seemed really cool (I couldn't deal with a deity at all... I like the respect of nature, etc, in wicca, just not the deity worship.)

I did not think Pallas Athena was a wiccan representation of the goddess... rather a common pagan one.

Organica, I think you can be intensely spiritual without being religious. I agree with the walk through the forest. Or if not, just observe the scenery around you - whether its the city, or just a sunset, or a really good rainfall - and think about the immense and gorgeous forces in our ecosystem - it is humbling and spiritual, in my humble opinion.
#6 Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

One way of getting spiritual is gratitude (thanking whichever deity you worship for all the blessings in your life). A daily reminder of our blessings is a great way to reconnect with _______ (fill in the blank).
#7 Old 04-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Each night when I go to sleep, I take a moment to think about all the people I love. I visualize them as bright points of light on a dark map of the world. It makes me feel connected, like I'm part of a constellation. Maybe that meditation could help you.
#8 Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Each night when I go to sleep, I take a moment to think about all the people I love. I visualize them as bright points of light on a dark map of the world. It makes me feel connected, like I'm part of a constellation. Maybe that meditation could help you.

That's beautiful
#9 Old 04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

hmm. this is a toughy.

half of being spiritual is simply being--living what you are and what you have learned you are. and the other half of it is spiritual disciplines which help us grow spiritually, help us learn who we are so that we can live ourselves, be ourselves more fully.

i've always found that there are times when disciplines go 'on hiatus' for us because we become to attached to them or simply because we need to live what we have learned--put that into practice--rather than practice things to learn how to live. does that make sense? i don't know if i'm being clear.

but the danger in the hiatus is that we might loose our consistancy with spiritual disciplines altogether and not grow in our spirituality because we're not practicing.

so, to your situation, i think you have to ask yourself whether or not it's a time to 'just be' and put into practice all that you've learned or if it's a time to move into a deeper spiritual discipline practice so that you can learn more and live more clearly.

i'm sorry that this is so convoluted. the two aspects go hand-in-hand.
#10 Old 04-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe in seeing the 'holy' part in everything you do and everyone you meet. Daily chores take on a deeper meaning when you think like this. You can bring spirituality into your daily life this way. Nature is a great inspiration for me too (I never cease to be amazed by the miracles of nature !), and practising forgiveness (though it's hard, I'll admit) is helpful as well. You can do all this on a daily basis. Just being conscious of the wonders of the universe and being grateful to be a part of it every day is being spiritual, I think. It doesn't need to be any harder than that.
#11 Old 04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think religion is necessary for one to be spiritual. I go for a lot of walks in parks or wherever there are trees, or I'll go to a lake/river and listen to the sound of the water and feel the sun on my skin. I think part of spirituality is in appreciating everyday things and taking time to see the beauty around you. You could also try keeping a small notebook by your bed. At the end of the day, everyday, write down 5 things you are grateful for. They don't have to be big things. It could be something as simple as the taste of chocolate or a compliment you received.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#12 Old 04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Organica!

Although I agree with others that one can be spiritual doing everyday things, I also feel there is a real value in having a specific practice you keep up with. I started with Wicca five years ago, and I have observed every full moon since. There have been times I really did not feel like doing ritual, but I did anyway, and was always glad I did. It has a wonderfully cleansing effect for me, and I need that as part of my monthly rhythm.

You could also set aside an evening each week to work with tarot cards or runes.

Another possibility is expressing your relationship with your goddess through some creative activity - writing, art, music, or whatever works for you.

If you have any Wiccan friends in your area, they might help you stay dedicated.

There have been times when my spirituality has been really dynamic and exciting, and I feel totally energized and in love with life. It's easy to maintain a practice during those times, but much harder when I feel stalled out or depressed or just disconnected. At those times I remind myself that I am in this for the long haul; it's not a fad. I treat it as a kind of devotion then, like making deposits into the spiritual bank account. I treat my relationship with the Goddess like I would a marriage - sticking around after the courtship has run its course, sweeping the floors and doing the dishes, because I know that over the long term that sense of commitment will reward me with a richer life.

Blessings, Tom
#13 Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

Hi Organica!

Although I agree with others that one can be spiritual doing everyday things, I also feel there is a real value in having a specific practice you keep up with. I started with Wicca five years ago, and I have observed every full moon since. There have been times I really did not feel like doing ritual, but I did anyway, and was always glad I did. It has a wonderfully cleansing effect for me, and I need that as part of my monthly rhythm.

You could also set aside an evening each week to work with tarot cards or runes.

Another possibility is expressing your relationship with your goddess through some creative activity - writing, art, music, or whatever works for you.

If you have any Wiccan friends in your area, they might help you stay dedicated.

There have been times when my spirituality has been really dynamic and exciting, and I feel totally energized and in love with life. It's easy to maintain a practice during those times, but much harder when I feel stalled out or depressed or just disconnected. At those times I remind myself that I am in this for the long haul; it's not a fad. I treat it as a kind of devotion then, like making deposits into the spiritual bank account. I treat my relationship with the Goddess like I would a marriage - sticking around after the courtship has run its course, sweeping the floors and doing the dishes, because I know that over the long term that sense of commitment will reward me with a richer life.

Blessings, Tom

Wow, well said, Tom. I also agree with what others have said about taking time just to commune with nature and feel at one with it. For me, it seems the Goddess (and God) speak so much through nature and its natural rhythms.

I don't think it's too uncommon to take a break from ritual. Maybe just lighting a candle each day and spending a couple minutes to honor your deity and think of the blessings in your life will help? Or maybe try writing out some new rituals for yourself that aren't very long but will get you back to feeling more spiritual.

If you celebrate Beltane, since it's almost here, maybe doing something different for this celebration will mix things up for you. Good luck BB
#14 Old 04-30-2006, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Wiccans actually believe in two deities - the god and goddess. It was a major problem with the religion for me which otherwise seemed really cool (I couldn't deal with a deity at all... I like the respect of nature, etc, in wicca, just not the deity worship.)

I did not think Pallas Athena was a wiccan representation of the goddess... rather a common pagan one.

I'm an "eclectic" Wiccan, rather than a traditional one.

Many Wiccans only praise the Goddess, ie. Dianic Wiccans, feminist Wiccans, eclectic Wiccans of some descriptions.

I for one just feel naturally that creation is female, & thus so is deity.

An eclectic Wiccan relates with whatever deity/-ies they wish, from any ethnic pantheon. Athena has always resonated with me, & I feel She looks out for me & gives me my talents.
#15 Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I am inspired by your suggestions Seusomon!!

I find walking outdoors & observing nature doesn't have the same effect as actually doing ritual & spells.

Fortunately Beltane is tomorrow, so I have no excuse to sit on my a$$ now.

I'm also getting pumped up for the occasion by reading Laurie cabot's "The Power of the Witch".

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

Hi Organica!

Blessings, Tom

#16 Old 04-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliemc View Post

I don't think it's too uncommon to take a break from ritual. Maybe just lighting a candle each day and spending a couple minutes to honor your deity and think of the blessings in your life will help? Or maybe try writing out some new rituals for yourself that aren't very long but will get you back to feeling more spiritual.

If you celebrate Beltane, since it's almost here, maybe doing something different for this celebration will mix things up for you. Good luck BB

Great suggestions as well. Thank you. I don't feel like such a lapsed Wiccan anymore!! blessed be!!
#17 Old 05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Just draw closer to your God. Seek.
#18 Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Umm, what's wicca? I have not really really heard with it is.
#19 Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

wicca refers to a broad category of neo-pagan spiritual/religious practices.
#20 Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 PM

I have gained the most peace of mind and equanimity from Buddhism, which is not a religion so much as a spiritual practice. You can be a Buddhist and a Christian without any problems, if you want to. It's more about how you look at life than a matter of worship.

If you're interested, I can recommend books.

The Rev
#21 Old 05-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Hey Rev, could you reccomend some reading on Buddhism? I've been really intrigued by the little bit I've learned of it lately and want to explore this more.

(I don't mean to hijack the thread, Organica )
#22 Old 05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to yoga tonight. This is apparently somewhat spiritual....

I have been talking to my Goddess more lately, in accordance with the 2nd Step in Al-Anon. I believe She's helping me, & She has been all along, except when I chose to sabotage Her plans.
#23 Old 05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

I'm an "eclectic" Wiccan, rather than a traditional one.

Many Wiccans only praise the Goddess, ie. Dianic Wiccans, feminist Wiccans, eclectic Wiccans of some descriptions.

I for one just feel naturally that creation is female, & thus so is deity.

An eclectic Wiccan relates with whatever deity/-ies they wish, from any ethnic pantheon. Athena has always resonated with me, & I feel She looks out for me & gives me my talents.

Hear hear! I could categorize myself as such, plus some added beliefs/spirituality from Buddhism, my other staple. It's best to be flexable and versatile. I have always had a link with Diana, but am also drawn to Bridgit. Depends on the seasons, moods, etc.
#24 Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

I have gained the most peace of mind and equanimity from Buddhism, which is not a religion so much as a spiritual practice.

As have I! I strongly second The Rev's recommendation to check it out.
#25 Old 05-12-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylu View Post

Hey Rev, could you reccomend some reading on Buddhism? I've been really intrigued by the little bit I've learned of it lately and want to explore this more.

(I don't mean to hijack the thread, Organica )

The first book I read on Buddhism was "Thoughts Without A Thinker" by Mark Epstein. It compares Buddhism with psychotherapy and it got me hooked, as I've done psychotherapy for awhile and am used to thinking about my issues in that way. I don't know if that's a good place for everyone to start, but the next book I read was "Buddhism for Dummies" which is a great overview of the important areas of Buddhism. If you read it, you will gain alot of familiarity with the world of Buddhism, and have a better idea of where you'd like to go with it.

After that, I've read a couple of books. The first is "Radical Acceptance" by Tara Brach, which is also written by a psychologist/Buddhist, and centers on self-acceptance in the Buddhist tradition. The second is "The Beginners Guide to Walking the Buddha's Eightfold Path" by Jean Smith (another psychologist/Buddhist) and it deals with the details of living a Buddhist lifestyle. I would recommend Buddhism for Dummies before reading the second book, tho, as it gives the basics on the Eightfold path already.

Another book, "How to Meditate" by Lawrence LaShan is also a great book, as it goes into meditation in a really straight forward way without all the arcane or religious stuff. It's a good book for people who want a practical guide.

Hope that helped.

The Rev
#26 Old 05-14-2006, 02:37 PM

^

^

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page