Boyfriend Wants to be Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend told me last night that he wants to become vegan...and ironically I have mixed feelings about this. Has anyone here ever "turned" someone vegan? How did it work and feel? Honestly, I feel kind of weird about it and I shouldn't. He is already eating vegetarian around me all the time, which I LOVE! But, still...I feel like my decision is impacting his life. What if he does it unhealthily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

If he chooses to do it, why stop him?

He's more likely to improve his health by eating vegan.

Frankly, I envy your predicament!!

My bf still eats some meat (chicken & fish).
#3 Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

no but i've been "turned" vegetarian and i'm only thankful to that person

you love each other and you strongly influence each other, and that's just a part of it ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this the same boyfriend with a potential eating disorder? I would be very worried about any change in diet until those issues were resolved.
#5 Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a new friend going vegan (already went vegetarian), and now her brother has been inspired to give it a try for 30 days, though he doesn't think he can give up fish until after 2 weeks... I don't know. I'm just happy they're trying it at all, and in the meantime their diet is doing the animals and themselves good (the friend says she's already losing excess weight).

I'm just encouraging them, trying to be a resource, and living my life as the best example I know how.
#6 Old 12-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I've turned my sister and friend vegetarian, and it's weird sometimes because of the dairy factor (like my friend complaining about not having options at restuarants- HELLO? don't complain to the VEGAN). But besides that it's fine. We get to complain to each other and stuff
#7 Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

people deffinatley inffluence other people without realizing it. Hook him up with some cookbooks. Spend some quality time together comming up with awsome vegan meals. Go food shopping together and have your own vegan iron chef cookoffs at home If you make eating fun and not a chore and lead by good example it should at least help him stay on the right track.
#8 Old 12-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

He would have no trouble being vegan...I just don't want him to do it because of me. If he is going to do it, it should be because he wants to. I hate the fact that he thinks I want him to...I don't know why he thinks that. I never told him I wanted him to turn vegan. I don't know. I guess I will just enjoy it.
#9 Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend became vegan after we had been together awhile. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm sure a lot of us here became veg*n after someone else inspired us. It's a good thing, in my mind.
#10 Old 12-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, you'd think. my little brother was considering going vegan. i guess being around me influenced him. he's ten, and im worried that he's just gonna eat chips and stuff... but i doubt it b/c we have homeade vegan meals pretty much every day, .. but i still felt ackward,... adn i told him to wait until he's a little older to make t hat decision... i dotn know hwat's wrong with me..... but i juts felt like i shouldnt enourage him.. for some reason... id otn know why. so, yeah, i udnerstand what you're going through....

but your bf's older then my brother, and yeah, i think he can decide on his own.

if it's bothering you still, you could ask him why he's doing it? is it b/c he really wants to? or b/c he feel obligated because you're veg*n?
#11 Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

He feels obligated. He isn't turning vegan after all. I think it was a spur of the moment thing. However, when he is around me he eats VERY healthy and usually vegetarian, which is so sweet anyway. Ah, maybe one day he will go vegan for real. You never know.
#12 Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM

That's all right! If he decides to follow your way of life godd bless him. He doesn't have to and if he stops being a vegen that doesn't mean u will stop being friends with him right?
#13 Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I turned veggie because of a former gf who was omni at the time I was with her, but told me about how things were during the time she was veggie. I am only thankful that I made this decision.
#14 Old 01-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Hate to raid this thread, but GOOD NEWS - one of my best friends just went vegan!! Well, sorta... she's still gonna have "some fish" like salmon occasionally, maybe 1 or twice a month. It's a process. ** shrug** But she's doing it to improve her health and I'm happy for her.

I just hope she's not just using it as a form of crash diet so you can lose 20 pounds at record rate. ay mi. But either way, she's excited about it and I've been giving her pointers, so I'm happy for her. I'm still lacto-ovo myself, but I can see myself eventually giving up the dairy (cheese would definitely go first).
#15 Old 01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My girlfriend went vegan after dating me for a while. I didn't pressure her into it, she decided it on her own. She probably felt a little pressure without me saying anything, but she is very happy about her decision now, and so am I. I say if he wants to go vegan then let him. You didn't pressure him into it so you don't need to feel guilty.
#16 Old 01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue23 View Post

I just hope she's not just using it as a form of crash diet so you can lose 20 pounds at record rate.

I definitely didn't lose any weight! Vegan desserts are better than anything I've ever tasted!
#17 Old 01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, she cut out sugar too (I think that was more for healthy reasons tho) so that won't be a problem. She does use honey tho, on occasion. So she's kind of more in the "veganizing" process. It's a drastic change of lifestyle for her, since she used to eat meat, cheese, milk and pork even (blech). Thats why I was a tad bit concerned about motives. But hey, all the better for the animals and her health.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page