Wearing Sweatpants When "Out"? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I was looking at a thread in the women's forum about things women would not put up with in a man, and was puzzled to see two posters mention the wearing of sweatpants outside the house, i.e., when going "out" somewhere (presumably other than to the gym or the track).

Could anyone explain this to me? Why is this such a big issue?

I don't particularly wear sweatpants when going out. But I also never thought of it as being a big deal or important if I did, if I had to run out to the store or the post office or some such place.

Can anyone clue me in here? Why is this an important issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2005, 12:46 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Actually, there's two possibilities:

1.) There's just something about sweatpants on a guy that's not all that appealing, and if they happen to be sweatpants that aren't really oversized and baggy, it's just kinda gross.

2.) If someone is wearing sweatpants and they're not on the way to the gym or somewhere else to work out, it's generally assumed that they aren't really making an effort to look presentable.

at least that's how I feel.
#3 Old 01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I think men in sweatpants, not going out to exercise, screams slob. I also believe this for women too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally I don't like it cause it seems to scream "look at my stuff!". Just my .02
#5 Old 01-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess it would bother me if a guy wore them all the time but I have been guilty of running to the post office or the store in them on occasion, when I was planning on spending the rest of the day at home. If someone showed up in them for a date, that would be yuck.

But, I am a bit of a slob.
#6 Old 01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I think men in sweatpants, not going out to exercise, screams slob. I also believe this for women too.

i agree!
#7 Old 01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

But hey, write "slut" or "juicy" across the @$$, & it's high fashion!!!
#8 Old 01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Or "Bebe"...
#9 Old 01-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

MEM pretty much nailed it on the head.

I am guilty of running out to the drugstore or post office or on other quick errands in sweatpants in the winter if I'm feeling lazy. (I'm so hot natured, I can only wear sweatpants in winter...any other time of year, I'd end up wait too overheated.)

Anyway, I'm guilting of wearing them Not To The Gym at times, but it bugs me to see men wearing them out in public, too. Contradictory, I know.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#10 Old 01-24-2005, 03:02 PM

What if you just have to run to the store quickly to get cat food or something? I shouldn't be expected to get all dolled up for that.

but for anything else, I wouldn't ever do it. But typically I wear jeans when I run out anyway. Though I HAVE gone to get cat food in sweatpants before. I don't need to impress anyone, so why should I try when I'm just trying to feed my cat?
#11 Old 01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

, but it bugs me to see men wearing them out in public, too. Contradictory, I know.

Not really- men in sweatpants have a lot more "on display" than women in sweatpants!!! Makes me wanna go
#12 Old 01-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

Who in the world came up with the idea that the word "juicy" printed on someone's ass is supposed to be sexy? Probably the same idiot who is promoting the return of the velour jogging suit for young women.

I don't wear sweats out myself.
#13 Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I will wear 'track pants' out, usually if I'm going to get a massage or to walk around the block. That's probably no better than sweatpants, is it?
#14 Old 01-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea sweats on a guy is just not flattering. No one wants to see his junk
#15 Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Ew my dad used to always pick me up from places wearing his old grey sweat pants and old grey jersey (they're older than me.. and he still wears them.) It was so embarrasing. Thankfully now I don't need to be picked up from anywhere.
#16 Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

Who in the world came up with the idea that the word "juicy" printed on someone's ass is supposed to be sexy? Probably the same idiot who is promoting the return of the velour jogging suit for young women.

Slightly off topic, I know, but whoever decided that velour jogging suits were 1) a good idea and 2) good looking, needs to be hunted down and kicked in the shins repeatedly. Possibly worse.
#17 Old 01-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The velour jogging suits do at least look better than plain old grey sweatpants. On women, anyway. Sometimes.

If my husband wanted to wear sweatpants for whatever reason in public, I wouldn't dump him. But I'm thankful that he agrees with me that wearing sweatpants in public, aside from running track and such, isn't a thing to do.
#18 Old 01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I didn't know it bothered so many people. I honestly don't give a crap where he wears his sweatpants, as long as it's not out to the movies, or at a restaurant. I personally have a very comfortable pair that I've been wearing everywhere since I've been pregnant, and I don't care who sees it. It's just personal preference I guess.
#19 Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM

I honestly dont care if my guy wore sweats. As long as they were clean, and it didn't say "beefcake" on the backside, then all is well. Throw on a clean t shirt with some cologne and some nice sneakers and hey..its cool. Just as long as they aren't tight.
#20 Old 01-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

I honestly dont care if my guy wore sweats. As long as they were clean, and it didn't say "beefcake" on the backside, then all is well. Throw on a clean t shirt with some cologne and some nice sneakers and hey..its cool. Just as long as they aren't tight.

That's the money statement. I've seen some pretty cute guys wearing sweatpants if they are wearing the right shirt and kicks to go with em...they can be alright!
#21 Old 01-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Heeeyyyyy I like those velour jogging suits!
#22 Old 01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post

I will wear 'track pants' out, usually if I'm going to get a massage or to walk around the block. That's probably no better than sweatpants, is it?

When I saw this thread I thought "I KNOW they're not talking about my track pants". I wore these (attached) to whole foods today. I don't see anything wrong with 'em, and I'll cite the fact that you can get these things at Abercrombie and stores of that ilk for $50 and up (mine are Nike - $20 @ footlocker).

Those grey elastic-bottom sweatpants are so 1988 and I would not be caught dead in them, as far as any of you know.
LL
#23 Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 PM

Uuugh.. the elastic-bottom ones make me cringe. Those I wouldn't even wear in the house!
#24 Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I think track/yoga pants are alright. Its the super tight sweat pants that get tight and are elastic on the bottom that are unacceptable.
#25 Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't care what guys wear as long as they are clean and in good shape. Clothes don't make the man; the man makes the clothes.
#26 Old 01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I admit that I will *not* go outside my house in sweatpants. I rarely even wear them inside the house I have a pair of capris that are classified as "active wear" that I'll wear to walk the dog, or do gardening or exercise- but no sweatpants. Sweatpants just aren't attractive on me and I prefer to look good
#27 Old 01-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I was looking at a thread in the women's forum about things women would not put up with in a man, and was puzzled to see two posters mention the wearing of sweatpants outside the house, i.e., when going "out" somewhere (presumably other than to the gym or the track).

I don't particularly wear sweatpants when going out. But I also never thought of it as being a big deal or important if I did, if I had to run out to the store or the post office or some such place.

It's not to me. As long as they're clean and not obscene, who cares?
#28 Old 01-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

i see nothing wrong with that at all

some females are just crazy, .... you probably already knew that
#29 Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone who watches the Osbournes has seen my lounge uniform - black shirt, black track pants with white stripes.
#30 Old 01-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

It's definitely the elastic bottoms that bother me. They're just... creepy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page