Grandma... and Christmas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My grandma was very thoughtful, and bought me a cook book for Christmas. The problem is, that it's a vegetarian cook book, and calls for a whole bunch of specailty cheeses and the such (I'm a vegan). So, I decided to not mention it to my grandma, as to not hurt her feelings, and to take the cook book to Barns-N-Nobles, and trade it for a vegan cook book. So, I went to return it, and the worker was very nice about it. He scanned it, typed a lot of junk, and finally said that it didn't see it in the computer. He added that usually, it would be not problem to return it, even if it came from a different store, but the book wasn't in the systom at all, and so he didn't know how much store credit to give me for it. He then added that if I could get the resipt to show how much it was, then he would give me store credit for it, even if it didn't come from that store. But should I ask grandma for it? We are just starting to get along, and I don't know how she'll react. I don't want something as stupid as a cook book ruin our growing relationship, but at the same time, I don't have anything to do with the cook book, and it's pointless to keep it. So what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Dude. Let it go. It's one cookbook. Give it to a friend or something, or sell it to a used bookstore. SO not worth making an issue with your Grandma.
#3 Old 12-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Just throw it in the back of the closet for a couple of years.. then give it to a vegetarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I agree with the others. If my gran gave me anything even remotely concerned with vegetarianism, I'd have it framed and/or bronzed. You can probably still look through it and get some nice ideas for veganized dishes.

#5 Old 12-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

She tried - is it worth hurting her by asking for the receipt? I think you should keep it or give it away.
#6 Old 12-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree. Give it to someone or take it to a used bookstore. Or sell it on half.com.
#7 Old 12-28-2004, 07:34 AM

You can leave out the cheese in most recipes and the dish will still be good. You can substitute soy milk where milk is called for and egg replacers where egg is called for. Those recipes can be veganized.
#8 Old 12-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Ditto what everyone else said. I think it's fun to try to veganize ovo-lacto recipes anyway, so I'd keep it. But giving it to a friend is a good idea as well. Just be thankful you didn't receive the wreath ornament that was made out of bird feathers. Yeah - that's what I got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page