Relationships - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Newbie
 
huajiro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Would you say that your relationship is working? Why (or why not)?
huajiro2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
revelsunrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,559
1. My relationship with my mother. Why yes, that one's working lovely since I moved away two years ago. Now I can just hang up when she starts getting on my nerves.



2. My relationship with my sister is also better than ever. Seeing her grow up has created new levels of respect between the two of us.



3. My relationship with my roommate. Eh, that's a tough one. He's a great guy, but he's a slob!



4. My relationship with my bestfriend rocks!



5. My relationship with the man causes me much turmoil and conflict, but there's not really anything I can complain about there.



So, I guess all-in-all, most of the relationships I have are working out quite well for me.
revelsunrise is offline  
#3 Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
sealife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 220
Probably not going to work out. Too soon to say for sure.

-My man is very much in to the art scene. He's a musician, painter, sculpture etc. I am an IT technician. I feel he deserves some one creative and artistic with him. Like when He sometimes bust out philosophy and poetry on me and I don't know how to respond. I just sit their and get entertained.

-I'm a muslim he's a christian.
sealife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Newbie
 
huajiro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealife View Post

Probably not going to work out. Too soon to say for sure.

-My man is very much in to the art scene. He's a musician, painter, sculpture etc. I am an IT technician. I feel he deserves some one creative and artistic with him. Like when He sometimes bust out philosophy and poetry on me and I don't know how to respond. I just sit their and get entertained.

-I'm a muslim he's a christian.



Wow, oppsoites do attract eh?
huajiro2 is offline  
#5 Old 12-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
sealife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by huajiro2 View Post

Wow, oppsoites do attract eh?



heh heh... yeah seems like it. Not to mention he's a white boy and I'm black!! hehehe



(opps...sorry.. off the topic )
sealife is offline  
#6 Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
nope..not working at the moment. It's been rather sucky for about the last 6 months or so. I'm waiting to see if this is just one of those rocky periods relationships go through of if it's dieing a slow death. We'll see..



Reason? Lack of communication...actually no communication.
GhostUser is offline  
#7 Old 12-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,447
Much better now that we don't see each other.ever..yes.*laughs*
Tash is offline  
#8 Old 12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Newbie
 
huajiro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealife View Post

heh heh... yeah seems like it. Not to mention he's a white boy and I'm black!! hehehe



(opps...sorry.. off the topic )

Sounds like one lucky whiteboy....tell him to get it in gear.
huajiro2 is offline  
#9 Old 12-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Newbie
 
huajiro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelsunrise View Post

1. My relationship with my mother. Why yes, that one's working lovely since I moved away two years ago. Now I can just hang up when she starts getting on my nerves.



2. My relationship with my sister is also better than ever. Seeing her grow up has created new levels of respect between the two of us.



3. My relationship with my roommate. Eh, that's a tough one. He's a great guy, but he's a slob!



4. My relationship with my bestfriend rocks!



5. My relationship with the man causes me much turmoil and conflict, but there's not really anything I can complain about there.



So, I guess all-in-all, most of the relationships I have are working out quite well for me.

You can't complain about turmoil and conflict?



(I'll have what she's having!!!)
huajiro2 is offline  
#10 Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Newbie
 
huajiro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

nope..not working at the moment. It's been rather sucky for about the last 6 months or so. I'm waiting to see if this is just one of those rocky periods relationships go through of if it's dieing a slow death. We'll see..



Reason? Lack of communication...actually no communication.



Lack of communication = slow death
huajiro2 is offline  
#11 Old 12-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Newbie
 
huajiro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash View Post

Much better now that we don't see each other.ever..yes.*laughs*



wow, that bad?
huajiro2 is offline  
#12 Old 12-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 618
My relationship's working out wonderfully right now. There was a point a long time ago that I thought we wouldn't make it, but we've both grown up a lot since then, and we've learned to appreciate each other. Never been better.
beth is offline  
#13 Old 12-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular
 
carnelian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,965
I have amazingly satisfying relationships with all of my cats!
carnelian is offline  
#14 Old 12-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
My relationship is an enigma to me.



On the one hand, we have similar tastes in many things, similar senses of humor, we're both on the bright side of the bell curve, etc. Plus, we have similar backgrounds, so we understand each other on some pretty deep levels (like facing abuse as children).



However, we both cope with our insecurities differently. I tend to lean to the passive side (letting things slide, being too nice in the hopes that others will be nice to me, not saying anything when she hurts my feelings, etc) whereas she leans more to the agressive side (overly hostile and defensive when I try to confront issues, fights mean alot, etc.)



So, while the good is really good, the bad is equally bad. Now, she has tried (and improved) with her agressive tendencies over the last five years that we've been together, and this gives me hope. However, the older I get, the less crap I'm willing to put up with, so, we might also end up breaking up or becoming one of those couples who bickers constantly.



I really have no idea what the jury's gonna say.







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#15 Old 12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
One thing is for sure. If we split and he moves out, I will never ever ever live with another man again. Ever.



And if I date he's going to be able to take care of himself 100%...stand on his own two feet. If he can't and he needs a mamma, well..he can keep steppin.
GhostUser is offline  
#16 Old 12-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by huajiro2 View Post

wow, that bad?

No..It's actually pretty good idea-wise..I haven't had a single laceration/police report/or restraining order that I've had to file since......
Tash is offline  
#17 Old 12-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
renaissancesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,791
Well, my relationship (marriage) is WORK, but I guess time will tell if it is really working.



I am learning a lot and it is costing a lot of money. It has been a hard road from nearly the start. About 7 years in we were both giving up. "7 year itch" is no joke. We plugged along because we have children and we both wanted it to work out. We started couples counseling over a year ago, hence "costing a lot of money", and things are going well.



We had our 13 year anniversary last week. We are actually going to celebrate it next month by spending a weekend in a bed and breakfast (with a jaccuzi in our room! and massages...and champagne...and roses). It will be our first whole weekend away from our kids for over 12 years. I am not sure I know how to act, but I will figure it out.



Sunny
renaissancesun is offline  
#18 Old 12-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
renaissancesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

My relationship is an enigma to me.



On the one hand, we have similar tastes in many things, similar senses of humor, we're both on the bright side of the bell curve, etc. Plus, we have similar backgrounds, so we understand each other on some pretty deep levels (like facing abuse as children).



However, we both cope with our insecurities differently. I tend to lean to the passive side (letting things slide, being too nice in the hopes that others will be nice to me, not saying anything when she hurts my feelings, etc) whereas she leans more to the agressive side (overly hostile and defensive when I try to confront issues, fights mean alot, etc.)









Sounds like home, kind of. I tend to be the assertive one here but not in all ways. My husband gets pretty mean and sarcastic and I am weepy.
renaissancesun is offline  
#19 Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

We had our 13 year anniversary last week.



You've been married for 13 YEARS!! How old were you when you got hitched? Nine?



:



The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#20 Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
CountessKerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,057
My relationship with my boyfriend is working, yes, although we had some problems that I know will come up again in the future. But, things are good now, so seize the day I say.
CountessKerouac is offline  
#21 Old 12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Nicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,488
The relationship I have with my boyfriend is very strong, since we have been through so much bad stuff in such a short amount of time. Being sexually active is how some of the problems came about. I love him so much, but things are really tough. I don't want to lose him or give up, hopefully we can just hang in there and things will get better, I find it really hard when things get tough, but on the other hand there are so many good things about our relationship too.
Nicky is offline  
#22 Old 12-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
renaissancesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

You've been married for 13 YEARS!! How old were you when you got hitched? Nine?



:



The Rev



Close enough. 23...or 24, can't remember. It was a long time ago.
renaissancesun is offline  
#23 Old 12-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

nope..not working at the moment. It's been rather sucky for about the last 6 months or so. I'm waiting to see if this is just one of those rocky periods relationships go through of if it's dieing a slow death. We'll see..



Reason? Lack of communication...actually no communication.





Mmmmm, sad to say but things are a bit the same for me (in a 7 year relationship). I love him very much but..... my eyes have started roving. It's not a good sign. I want things to work out because quite frankly I can't face the idea of a break up, emotionally or financially. I just seem to spend all my time saying 'this needs to change' or 'that needs to change' and he agrees then.... nothing changes.



*sigh*



Sometimes I think I'm too old to be starting over again (37) but I know that's a stupid way to think. I'd also worry about my stepson.
Jessica is offline  
#24 Old 12-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Miss Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,437
with my mom-yes and no, we are too much alike sometimes and that drives us both nuts



with my dad-absolutly except that I think he works waaaay too much and I worry about his health



with my brother-yes, he's 17 I'm 24 and it is the perfect age difference, we have things in common but we don't step on eachother's toes



with my man- yup, he is my best friend and aside from my PMS days we have a blast.
Miss Meg is offline  
#25 Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Elena99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,473
With my dad - yes, it's working fine, we've never really had problems.



With my mom - better than it used to be. Sometimes we still get annoyed at each other, but at least I don't hate her anymore like I did when I was a teenager.



Sisters - they're both in other provinces. One I get along with better over the internet, somehow. The other one I get along with in person and over the internet.



Fiance - We're doing just fine, except we're separated by about 1000 miles until Dec 29th. >_>
Elena99 is offline  
#26 Old 12-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post

Mmmmm, sad to say but things are a bit the same for me (in a 7 year relationship). I love him very much but..... my eyes have started roving. It's not a good sign. I want things to work out because quite frankly I can't face the idea of a break up, emotionally or financially. I just seem to spend all my time saying 'this needs to change' or 'that needs to change' and he agrees then.... nothing changes.



*sigh*



Sometimes I think I'm too old to be starting over again (37) but I know that's a stupid way to think. I'd also worry about my stepson.



Freaky. My relationship is at the beginning of 8 years and I'm 37. My eyes are roaming too...is it the 7 year itch? I also worry about my stepdaughter (she's 11). The man is clueless..especially when it comes to taking care of his daughter. I'm not exaggerating when I say I honestly don't know what they'd do without me. The same things are crossing my mind that's crossing yours. Don't be surprised if I pm you someday..feel free to do the same.
GhostUser is offline  
#27 Old 12-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Freaky. My relationship is at the beginning of 8 years and I'm 37. My eyes are roaming too...is it the 7 year itch? I also worry about my stepdaughter (she's 11). The man is clueless..especially when it comes to taking care of his daughter. I'm not exaggerating when I say I honestly don't know what they'd do without me. The same things are crossing my mind that's crossing yours. Don't be surprised if I pm you someday..feel free to do the same.



Could be the 7 year itch..... but what I want to know is, can you scratch it away, or is it just gonna be itch itch itch from now on??!!



Ruthie we sound to be in very similar positions. Feel free to PM, it might do us good to vent to someone who's feeling the same thing.
Jessica is offline  
#28 Old 12-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
renaissancesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,791
Re-7 yr itch...I read somewhere, and don't quote me on this becuase it was a while back and I can't remember the source, that it takes approximately 7 years for all of the cells in our body (atoms?) to have changed out and renewed. I read that when I was having that rough 7th year and I remember thinking maybe it's not a coincidence becuase we are all new people every 7 years and sometimes we just don't fit together.



For me, it could have all flown apart then, but my husband and I have made choices to have that not happen.
renaissancesun is offline  
#29 Old 12-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned
 
kirkjobsluder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by huajiro2 View Post

Would you say that your relationship is working? Why (or why not)?



Which one?
kirkjobsluder is offline  
#30 Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by huajiro2 View Post

Lack of communication = slow death

Huajiro... that is SO true! I was in a couple of relationships that deteriorated over lack of communication... this made it horrrible b/c they were great people. But now I have a great boyfriend and communication is there... finally!
GhostUser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off