Oh for crying out loud!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

On Thursday my father had quadruple by-pass surgery. Thankfully he came through the surgery well and is doing quite well (all things considered).

I went to visit him yesterday after he was moved from CICU to a regular private room.

While I was there they brought him lunch.

In addition to being a cardiac patient my father is also diabetic.

So here's the menu:

"All American Hamburger" on a white bun.

"Oven Roasted Potatoes" that looked more like fried potatoes - which probably were fried, then frozen then "oven roasted".

Snap peas with margarine on them.

Apricot halves in "light syrup"

Iced Tea

The condiments were "light" mayo, mustard, ketchup, pepper and salt.

Hello?!?!?!?!?!?! Hamburgers? White bread? Fried potatoes? Margarine?

This man is diabetic and had severe enough coronary artery disease to warrant a quadruple by-pass and this is what the hospital is feeding him?

I could just scream!

How stupid is this?

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Hel
Beginner

did you mention it to anyone in the hospital?
#3 Old 11-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

What a sad situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hel View Post

did you mention it to anyone in the hospital?

Yes.

And I got the response I expected. Which was to be ignored by the nursing staff while the uttered platitudes and made placating sounds.

So rather than fight with the hospital over what he's eating for the 5 or 6 more days he'll be there I've decided to expend my energies elsewhere.

I have bought my parents a copy of Dr. Dean Ornish's book for reversing heart disease and I am going to their house to clean out their pantry of all of the fat-filled, preservative-laden, meaty, gunky, junky, crappy foods and replace them with healthy alternatives.

I'm going to lend them some vegan cookbooks.

I'm going to stock their pantry with spices.

I'm going to buy them a crock pot (dad loves soups).

I figure that I need to choose my battles. Getting my dad home from the hospital and on a sound diet is the better battle to fight.

I am just amazed that their idea of nutrition for a heart patient is a hamburger.

Apparently dinner last night was BBQ Chicken.

Today's lunch will be Roast Pork.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#5 Old 11-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I was just at the hospital yesterday for school and saw one of those menus lying around. It was basically greasy cafeteria fare. hambuger, pork tenderloins, roasted chicken or chicken salad (not quite so bad, but probably comes with lots of dressing). The only things I could have had as a vegetarian would have been three vegetables and fruits and mashed potatoes with the hope that they'd follow my request for no gravy.

Even worse, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, the country's leader in cardiology has a huge cafetaria with: McDonalds, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Krispe Kreme, and elsewhere in the hospital Au Bon Pan. I have a hell of a time finding decent veggie food at CCF.

ETA- I think the nurses behaved badly, but I should note that there is a huge nursing shortage, so most may have a hard time giving special help to you even if they wanted to. I would ask to talk to the attending physician. Most hospitals have special menus or foods for people of all kinds of diets. They have to. I am just surprised no one made an effort to get one for your dad.

I hope he recovers well. Good luck with Ornish diet. I hope they adopt it.
#6 Old 11-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hospitals have notoriously unhealthy food. I just don't understand it.
#7 Old 11-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

It keeps them in business.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 11-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out the top link at this url.

It has a LOT of information about eating to prevent heart attacks for both omnis and veg*ns:

http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#9 Old 11-14-2004, 12:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. Here is my positive story to brighten your day:

When my bio mother's bf had a massive heart attack 2 years ago, he was fed plate rations, as I call them - 1/2 fruits and veg, 1/4 whole grain, 1/4 protein. His protein was usually a lean meat, his grain was brown rice, multigrain pancakes, whole wheat bread, etc. His fruits and vegetables were often steamed or marinated in olive oil w/ Mrs Dash (salt-less spice mix).

He also attended 8 weeks of free training to re-learn how to live. They had nutritional classes and went over what they were eating (ie how to eat soy, remember to rinse canned beans, etc). By the time this happened, he was already following my diet for him and it was lauded as "perfect" for his needs. It did not eliminate meat, but it reduced it and follow the rationing. Just after his heart attack, he was declared unable to work ever again. 6 months later, he was working a full-time manual labour job again, despite being in his late 40s, with a heart better then before his heart attack.
#10 Old 11-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

Check out the top link at this url.

It has a LOT of information about eating to prevent heart attacks for both omnis and veg*ns:

http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

I am currently watching this and I want to add a personal endorsement. All the info seems consistent with what I have personally read from other reliable sources. The guy is a little eccentric, but his information seems sound. Of course people should do look for supporting and refuting evidence of claims on their own, looking for reliable sources of info.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi is a public, searchable database of most medical journals, including international ones. Abstracts are available for most. Contact me if you ever need help locating an actual article. I have access to many and can get you copies or can tell you where to find them.
#11 Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I think it's about drumming up more business, myself.

When my dad has his triple-bypass, the first meal they brought him was a steak. I was floored. I've heard that doctors get only 3 hours of nutritional instruction in medical school. I believe it. I also believe that Hospital Nutritionists get even less.

The Rev
#12 Old 11-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

When my grandmother was in the hospital her kidneys had failed, so she was supposed to be on a low protein diet, plus she had heart problems so low fat, plus low sodium for some other reason, etc. and they were bringing her the same crap mentioned above, steak, hanburger, fried chicken, crap crap crap!

Though, I don't think they'll ever make that mistake with anyone again after my mother got threw with them.
#13 Old 11-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Well I agree that the more sick people there are, the more business they get. Better for them...so it actually shouldn't be too surprising. It's hard to find non-greedy people in the world these days..
#14 Old 11-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

what is happening in hospitals is out sourcing and gov't funding--and so you know the quality that's coming in. it's basicly starting as crap, and even a nutritionist/dietician in charge can't do much about it.

the same problem is in the schools. there are lots of RDs who work for schools, but they have to make "balanced" meals from pre-processed junk foods. it's no wonder kids have food problems (and all the school problems related).
#15 Old 11-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

My ex was diabetic and vegetarian. He was in hospital for two weeks and the food was appalling. Horrid salad sandwiches that looked like they had been in the fridge all week, some kind of mystery yellow dish (egg? custard? we couldn't tell), for dinner some stringy overboiled beans and peas, packet mashed potato and his vegetarian part - macaroni in some flourescent orange sauce (I reckon it had so little real stuff in there it was probably vegan).
#16 Old 11-14-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

On Thursday my father had quadruple by-pass surgery. Thankfully he came through the surgery well and is doing quite well (all things considered).

I went to visit him yesterday after he was moved from CICU to a regular private room.

While I was there they brought him lunch.

In addition to being a cardiac patient my father is also diabetic.

So here's the menu:

"All American Hamburger" on a white bun.

"Oven Roasted Potatoes" that looked more like fried potatoes - which probably were fried, then frozen then "oven roasted".

Snap peas with margarine on them.

Apricot halves in "light syrup"

Iced Tea

The condiments were "light" mayo, mustard, ketchup, pepper and salt.

Hello?!?!?!?!?!?! Hamburgers? White bread? Fried potatoes? Margarine?

This man is diabetic and had severe enough coronary artery disease to warrant a quadruple by-pass and this is what the hospital is feeding him?

I could just scream!

How stupid is this?

They like to keep their customers coming, I guess.
#17 Old 11-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

One of the hospitals in Nashville that does serve good vegetarian food is run by the Seventh Day Adventists. Perhaps you can seek out an Adventist-affiliated hospital in the future.
#18 Old 11-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

when I was in hospital I told everyone I could I was vegetarian filled out an order for my meal and had to wait 3 hours for dinner when my veggie burger was given to somebody else. I finally got a call from the food service people saying they where closing and all I could get was a grilled cheese sandwich.
#19 Old 11-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hospital food is terrible. I dread the thought of ever having to make an extended visit in one. What I also find disgusting is the kind of food that they feed the elderly and disabled in assisted living and nursing homes. My grandma lives in one and for how much money she pays to live there, what she's fed is terrible.
#20 Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

I'm sorry to hear this. Here is my positive story to brighten your day:

When my bio mother's bf had a massive heart attack 2 years ago, he was fed plate rations, as I call them - 1/2 fruits and veg, 1/4 whole grain, 1/4 protein. His protein was usually a lean meat, his grain was brown rice, multigrain pancakes, whole wheat bread, etc. His fruits and vegetables were often steamed or marinated in olive oil w/ Mrs Dash (salt-less spice mix).

He also attended 8 weeks of free training to re-learn how to live. They had nutritional classes and went over what they were eating (ie how to eat soy, remember to rinse canned beans, etc). By the time this happened, he was already following my diet for him and it was lauded as "perfect" for his needs. It did not eliminate meat, but it reduced it and follow the rationing. Just after his heart attack, he was declared unable to work ever again. 6 months later, he was working a full-time manual labour job again, despite being in his late 40s, with a heart better then before his heart attack.

This was in Canada, right?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#21 Old 11-16-2004, 01:12 PM

Yeah. People complained that I identify myself as Canadian too often
#22 Old 11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Krista, I asked because you being Canadian doesn't mean the situation happened in Canada. I was wondering because your story could indicate a difference between American and Canadian health care.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#23 Old 11-16-2004, 10:03 PM

Gotcha

I double checked with him and it was actually 2 weeks of everyday (5 days, 5 hr) of exercising (mild) and monitoring his heart. Then, 6 weeks of classes 2x a week and classes to help quit pot.

I don't know if these services are offered everywhere - we live in a city, so it's easier to have access to them. But, they didn't cost him anything. It was voluntary, but most of the heart attack patients on his ward attended it; even if only for a couple weeks.

They even had a mock meat day, where they learned about all different kinds of meat substitutes and which ones were best for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page