Partner w/ food allergies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM

Partner w/ food allergies

Hi!

Not sure if I'm looking for advice or just sharing, but I feel like my situation is a bit different from most people. I have been with my partner for several years now and I have always been a vegetarian during our relationship. I recently went vegan which is long overdue and I am really happy with this decision. My partner is not vegan and eats meat several times a weak, but she also has a long list of fairly severe allergies.

She has very bad anaphylactic allergy to milk (all dairy) which has always been a big concern for us. When I ate a lot of dairy I was constantly having to clean extremely well, wash my hands, brush my teeth all the time, etc. Now we don't have to worry about that which is great!

She is also very allergic to eggs, seafood, corn, nuts, and seeds. She has mild allergies (mostly discomfort) if she eats tomatoes or avocados. Because of her allergies I usually avoid purchasing things with nuts. For example the only milk we buy is soy-milk, coconut milk, and occasionally rice milk.

I do occasionally have chia seeds as a pudding for breakfast, and I keep some sesame seeds in the house, but that's about it. I'm wondering if it's fine for me to continue not eating nuts and most seeds on a vegan diet? I don't really care for corn so it's not something I would probably eat anyway. Wondering if any other vegan people deal with their own allergies or allergies in the family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Many vegans have all kinds of allergies- wheat, soy, nuts, seeds, raw fruit -you name it, and do just fine. Some can't even eat beans!
Is her allergy to seeds so bad she can't even be around them? I don't understand why this a problem now?
#3 Old 04-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Ankle Biter

You'll be fine without eating nuts. Watch out, though, with corn - it can be found in some pretty strange places.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 AM

Many vegans do have allergies yes. I have one family member who is vegan however she is only allergic to dairy which doesn't seem too much of a problem right now for her family and they all seem to manage well around it without any problems. I am a little lost by what your problem is though I am guessing it is you asking if it would be OK to not eat seeds and nuts whilst on a vegan diet? If so then I see no reason you couldn't if it is not affecting your health by doing so.
#5 Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a ton of food allergies. I have been tested and am allergic to tree nuts (although I have never had a reaction), flax, corn and green beans. I am pretty sure I have a dairy allergy as well. I do find I have to focus on nutrition a little more and make some compromises. I get a breakfast sandwich 2-3 times a week for the eggs on the advice of my doctor (I am pregnant right now and they are worried about the omegas since I can't have flax) but I get that out of the house since my husband doesn't like it. He also satisfies his occasional sub craving without me since I can't get cheese anymore so I struggle to find something to eat there.
#6 Old 05-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have a ton of food allergies. I have been tested and am allergic to tree nuts (although I have never had a reaction), flax, corn and green beans. I am pretty sure I have a dairy allergy as well. I do find I have to focus on nutrition a little more and make some compromises. I get a breakfast sandwich 2-3 times a week for the eggs on the advice of my doctor (I am pregnant right now and they are worried about the omegas since I can't have flax) but I get that out of the house since my husband doesn't like it. He also satisfies his occasional sub craving without me since I can't get cheese anymore so I struggle to find something to eat there.
There is vegan dha if you are interested, like this: http://www.iherb.com/Deva-Omega-3-DH...FYQ2gQod_78D7A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page