For or Against Gay Marriage? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Should gay people be granted legal marriages just as straight people are?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Just wondering how people on this board felt. I would like to know your reasoning if possible.

I just read a really great article... it has an opinion, so answer the poll first.

http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2004, 11:21 AM

How about some options for "unsure/undecided" or maybe for people who support civil unions?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 09-03-2004, 11:26 AM

it's really personal, because I have a gay uncle in San Fransisco (I know, it's a little steryotypical, I think it's a little funny)

And I've known plenty of gay guys, but only a couple lesbians...

ANYWAY...

Totally for marriage.

Although, just as a question, what if there was another word it for people that werre not in a heterosexual commitment? I mean, I'm not saying it should be a different word, but I wonder how that would affect the argument? Would some people be more accepting of it if it was called another word besides marriage, but including the same legal standings?

But as I think, that might make it easier to descriminate (like, married-couples only cruise, or legal stuff, or insurance, or whatever)

So there's my pile of thoughts... but YES for marriage...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Another poll from a while ago on the same subject: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=12753
#5 Old 09-03-2004, 11:31 AM

I am definitely for gay marriage. I think that if you find someone who you love spending time with, whether they are your same sex or not, you should be able to marry them.
#6 Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

It's all about the name. The religious government of the US has decided the word marriage belongs to them but it doesn't. athiests still say they got married even if they just did it in a registry office. Marriage means so much I don't think it would be right to change the word simply because same sex couples are doing it too. This whole argument is silly. You'd think that all straight marriages are 1) religious and 2) for the sole purpose of having straight sex to produce offspring.

This issue is about religion, which has no place in government.
#7 Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't imagine that anyone on this board would be against gay marriage.
#8 Old 09-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky73 View Post

I can't imagine that anyone on this board would be against gay marriage.

Eh, you never know....especially will all those crazy VB conservatives.

Anyhoo, I feel that it's none of the government's (state, federal, or otherwise) buisiness to decide who you can or can't marry....if your chuch has an issue with it though.....

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 09-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

There are plenty here against gay marriage. Just read all the old threads.

I, on the other hand, am for gay marriage. I don't see how my marriage needs defending from gay people. My intelligence is insulted every time I hear the name of the Defense of Marriage Act.
#10 Old 09-03-2004, 12:07 PM

Well, as a lesbian, I'm definitely for it! I don't understand people's objections to it. How on earth would my relationship affect your relationship? Of course, if my partner & I got spouse's benefits, we would no longer be subsidizing heterosexual relationships at our own expense. Is that why people object to it?
#11 Old 09-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Your poll is going to be skewed to show that the majority here are for it. As I have pointed out before, most vegetarians are liberals so they will vote in favor of it. It's like standing outside a Planned Parenthood clinic and polling people on their opinions of abortion. The results would be skewed.

I am highly against gay marriage but all for civil unions. "Marriage" is an institution that goes back a long way and I don't feel that gay people have the right to change the definition of it because they don't want to live up to the current definition.

This is the same as someone wanting to change the definition of "vegetarian" to include someone that also eats a little bit of pork. If you don't fit the meaning then you need to change, not the definition.

I firmly believe people choose to be gay, they choose to live an alternative lifestyle and then want us to adjust and change things to meet them. No thanks. I don't care if they start their own thing... like call it Garriage (for Gay Marriage). Or if they have civil unions. But they have no right to change definition of this old institution to suit their wacky lifestyle.

There aren't many conservatives on these boards but there are a couple... I'm one of them.
#12 Old 09-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

There are plenty here against gay marriage. Just read all the old threads.

I, on the other hand, am for gay marriage. I don't see how my marriage needs defending from gay people. My intelligence is insulted every time I hear the name of the Defense of Marriage Act.

I just read some of the old threads on this subject. It's very disappointing to see that there are non-gay rights people at VB.
#13 Old 09-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

You have to hear RedWingsFan's point, though. Ignoring those who oppose you will only lead to continued polarization, rather than finding common ground that everyone can live with.

Personally, I'm in favor of civil unions. Honestly, I was "married" in what amounted to a civil union. I think of marriage as primarily a religious institution. My bond to my wife is a legal one recognized by the state, with a Humanist service conducted on the beach in the presence of my family. No Church, no God, etc. I think everyone should be allowed this right so they can share the same rights as heterosexual couples do. If you don't want to call it marriage, I couldn't care less, because we're talking about an institution as opposed to rights. So, while I'm in favor of gay marriage, I'm perfectly happy with civil unions with all the equivalent rights, and to call all "marriages" civil unions in the eyes of the government, saving marriage as either a religious bond over and above the civil ceremony, or (and) a simple term of usage. Calling someone civilly united is weird and cumbersome, and joined gay couples are likely to be called married, even if their official status in the eyes of the government is not worded that way (which is why I think all couples, gay or straight, should use the same terminology within the government's scope). Over time, gay couples will simply be called "married," because it's just easier, and no one will split hairs anymore.
#14 Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

Your poll is going to be skewed to show that the majority here are for it. As I have pointed out before, most vegetarians are liberals so they will vote in favor of it. It's like standing outside a Planned Parenthood clinic and polling people on their opinions of abortion. The results would be skewed.

i don't think that "scews" her results, i think her poll is to find out VBers opinions on the subject

Quote:

I am highly against gay marriage but all for civil unions. "Marriage" is an institution that goes back a long way and I don't feel that gay people have the right to change the definition of it because they don't want to live up to the current definition.

I believe this means that marriage is a Instituation of the church, however, until the 9th century the church had nothing to do w/ it.

Quote:

This is the same as someone wanting to change the definition of "vegetarian" to include someone that also eats a little bit of pork. If you don't fit the meaning then you need to change, not the definition.

I firmly believe people choose to be gay, they choose to live an alternative lifestyle and then want us to adjust and change things to meet them. No thanks. I don't care if they start their own thing... like call it Garriage (for Gay Marriage). Or if they have civil unions. But they have no right to change definition of this old institution to suit their wacky lifestyle.

WACKY? OK, so me being in a loving, committed, supportive relationship is wacky just because my partner has a vagina? My girlfriend (and I for that matter) has been attracted to women her entire life, and the only thing she chose to do was to be true to herself. Why don't you NOT start calling names, and invalidating other peoples relationships.
#15 Old 09-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky73 View Post

I just read some of the old threads on this subject. It's very disappointing to see that there are non-gay rights people at VB.

Yesss..Sad that there has to be so many split hairs on the deffinitions. Just don't get it...no I don't. Prarie Girl there summed up plenty of good sentiments as well. Tash.
#16 Old 09-03-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:

There aren't many conservatives on these boards but there are a couple... I'm one of them.

See, it's the "wacky lifestyle" part that really burns me up. Why do I have a "lifestyle" when you just have a life? There's nothing wacky about the way I live. My partner & I just bought a house together. We work hard at responsible jobs, pay our taxes, and are active in our community. Ok, I confess, every Friday night when I get home from work, we eat a quick dinner, and then rush out to the grocery store for our weekly shopping. How's that for wacky?

I know that a lot of people do care about the word "marriage" and a lot don't. For me, it's not about the term we use. I just want to have family coverage on my health insurance, file taxes jointly, and all the other priveleges you wacky heterosexuals have kept for yourselves.
#17 Old 09-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

also, redwings, i'm curious WHY marriage has such meaning for you? when over half of marriages end in divorce is seems silly really to still be claiming it a sacred institution. Gracie, I agree with you, i dont have a lifestyle, I have a life. One much happier and healthier than the one I had when I was still kidding myself that I was straight.

oh wait...we are painting the living room this weekend...and last weekend we invested in a couch for us to enjoy. crazy lesbos!
#18 Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't see how or why it's anyone's business to object to a marraige between consenting adults of any sexual orientation.

Gracie, your "lifestyle" sounds about as "wacky" as mine
#19 Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post

oh wait...we are painting the living room this weekend...and last weekend we invested in a couch for us to enjoy. crazy lesbos!

A couch? I'll bet the two of you will sit on it together, too. How twisted!
#20 Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i know. we might even hold hands or....gasp...CUDDLE on it!! well...okay, there might be a little more...nevermind. not succeeding in not looking like a pervert
#21 Old 09-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG..OMG..stop-stop..You're killing me..Ahhhhh *laughing to tears now*
#22 Old 09-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

For me, it's not about the term we use. I just want to have family coverage on my health insurance, file taxes jointly, and all the other priveleges you wacky heterosexuals have kept for yourselves.

If that were truly the case then you people wouldn't be fighting for "marriage" you would fight for civil unions, something we can all live with.

I'm afraid I am not going to debate the merits and all the points of your gay relationship, if I did that my posts would end up getting pulled and you would feel very insulted. So I will stick referring you to my original post and leave it at that. I hope you do realize the majority of America's opinion is in line with mine. So while you may find comforting statements on this board you won't find that many across the country.
#23 Old 09-03-2004, 12:58 PM

Just because the majority of Americans may agree with you doesn't mean that it's right.

I, for one, would love to see gay couples be able to get married. Love is love. Just as age, gender shouldn't matter.
#24 Old 09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^^^^^

what Flower said.

Quote:

I'm afraid I am not going to debate the merits and all the points of your gay relationship, if I did that my posts would end up getting pulled and you would feel very insulted

why do you feel anyone's relationship is yours to debate the merits of? you're acting like we're asking for your opinion. we're not. we're telling you you're wrong.
#25 Old 09-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Just because the majority of Americans may agree with you doesn't mean that it's right.

Oh it is right and a good thing I'm in the majority, makes it harder to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Just as age, gender shouldn't matter.

Age shouldn't matter? So you would have no problem changing the laws of marriage and allowing say a 40 year old marry a 12 year old? After all love is love, right? LOL
#26 Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Age shouldn't matter? So you would have no problem changing the laws of marriage and allowing say a 40 year old marry a 12 year old? After all love is love, right? LOL

please, we're talking about the marriage between two consenting adults.
#27 Old 09-03-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Oh it is right and a good thing I'm in the majority, makes it harder to pass.

No, age shouldn't matter when it comes to adults . Really trying to twist what I wrote around, aren't ya? Is that the best you've got?
#28 Old 09-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post

why do you feel anyone's relationship is yours to debate the merits of? you're acting like we're asking for your opinion. we're not. we're telling you you're wrong.

This board prompted the discussion, it asked what we believe and why we believe it... that was asking for my opinion. Don't tell me you only wanted warm fuzzy supportive messages posted?

You may be saying that I am wrong, but that is YOUR opinion. I'm saying YOUR wrong and the majority of America is agreeing with me.

Like I said, I'll refer you to my original post and leave it at that. I wouldn't want you crying in your soup tonight by learning what America really thinks of the gay lifestyle and gays wanting to change the definition of marriage.

I'll let you all pat each other on the back with feel good statements while I go share truth elsewhere. I would be wasting my typing skills and time sticking to this thread....
#29 Old 09-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Just because a majority believes it doesn't make it right, and that goes for both sides.
#30 Old 09-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

in all honesty, i don't care what the majority of america thinks about my LIFE.

however, I am wondering why marriage is so important to YOU as a heterosexual The institution of marriage does go back a long time, but it was originally a business contract between an older man and the father of a young girl. At least that's what my research has pointed too.

and trust me, there's nothing wacky about my lifestyle.

is honestly looking for debate. you're telling me i'm wrong, i'm telling you your wrong, and i don't believe anyone's opinions will have changed by the end of this.

Thanks cissy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page