• 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By jocelyn3113
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Eternal Sunshine
  • 1 Post By QuietVegan
  • 1 Post By Eternal Sunshine

#1 Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 PM

Feeding my omni fiancé

My fiancé seems to feel sick or sore more often than not. I seriously can't remember the last day he didn't have some sort of health-related complaint. He eats like total crap and never exercises, so it isn't exactly surprising. I just went down to part time, though, and I've started making dinner for both of us every night. I'm pretty thrilled about how open he's been to trying new foods, especially healthy, vegan new foods.

It's been a little challenging avoiding foods he claims not to like (squash, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, any greens darker than romaine, etc.) but he did try lentils, so I think he'll eventually open up if I just introduce the off-limits foods slowly. I'm thinking of packing his lunches as well, which would mean he'd be eating entirely plant-based unless we went out or ate at a relative's house.

I'm hopeful that switching from eating Burger King, Wendy's, and Taco Bell to eating homemade, whole food, plant-based meals will drastically improve his health. Now if only I could get him to stop drinking soda and start working out!

Out of curiosity, do any of you cook exclusively veg*n meals for your omni S.O.s? If so, how's it going for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM
the ever sleepy

If I cook for my husband, it's vegan. If he wants something non-vegan, he gets to cook--but luckily for me, he has no qualms with eating a vegan meal so long as its tasty and filling.

So on my front, it goes well. The biggest issue I have is finding out a way to make the same ingredients taste new and exciting--especially since all I like to make are one pot soups, since they're ridiculously easy and uncomplicated. For myself, I can eat the same soup 10 times in a row and not be tired of it so long as it tastes okay. He doesn't roll that way. Finding a way to keep the variety up or keeping a stock of bread of PB&J are needed if I don't want him buying a huge pork loin for dinner.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#3 Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
If I cook for my husband, it's vegan. If he wants something non-vegan, he gets to cook--but luckily for me, he has no qualms with eating a vegan meal so long as its tasty and filling.

So on my front, it goes well. The biggest issue I have is finding out a way to make the same ingredients taste new and exciting--especially since all I like to make are one pot soups, since they're ridiculously easy and uncomplicated. For myself, I can eat the same soup 10 times in a row and not be tired of it so long as it tastes okay. He doesn't roll that way. Finding a way to keep the variety up or keeping a stock of bread of PB&J are needed if I don't want him buying a huge pork loin for dinner.
See, mine is completely hopeless in the kitchen, hence all the fast food. He tried for a while to learn to cook, but that didn't go down so well. Plus, it's nice to sit down to a meal together and actually eat the same thing. I'm also fine with eating the same thing for days in a row. I know he is, too, but I'm trying to keep the variety up at least at first so he stays on board instead of going back to fast food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive been cooking exclusively vegan meals for myself and my omni partner for the last five years. I eat my own breakfasts and lunches and we share dinners and Saturday breakfast. My partner is also one who gulps down three or more Mountain Dews per day (the last time I had soda pop was 2008) and it drives me nuts! He used to really go heavy on the fast food but about three or four years ago he stopped eating fast food from restaurants, though he still occasionally splurges on frozen pizzas and potato chips at the grocery store. I used to get so furious with him when he would come home with KFC or Mcdonalds lol. I am the bread winner and cook so I buy most of the food, and it is always all vegan. He buys his own snacks and other stuff he likes.

At any rate, I am a health nut, eat mostly whole foods, am very careful about my diet and big on exercise. I work out at the fitness center 1.5 hours per day five days per week and six months of the year I also cycle to work and to the fitness center and out on the trails. My partner is not nearly as active, but he loves to canoe and will hike with me on trails and snowshoe and mountain bike. He used to be an avid hard core mountain biker back in the day before rheumatoid arthritis struck him down (and is complicated by chronic anemia he has and another immune deficiency disorder). It's been a long climb back up for him and I spent a great deal of time in hospitals and specialty places like the Mayo Clinic getting him help for all his complications. He has improved a load in the last few years. He did make an effort to improve his diet after all the studies I showed him about a plant based diet helping RA (and the doctors at Mayo Clinic agreed with me too!). And his doctors warned him his cholesterol was way too high so he cut way back on his dairy and really started eating more of my meals. His numbers have improved dramatically, and his total cholesterol is now lower than mine (though I have a healthier HDL; his total last summer was something like 115 and mine was 125 in 2012).

Still, I have had to compromise on style of meals to make him happy. I am not a big pasta eater, but he loves it so I will make spaghetti and a homemade red lentil/tomato paste/bulgur sauce with simmered vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, peppers. He loves that. I make a similar bulgur/tomato paste/taco seasoning mix for hard shell tacos and stuff them with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa etc. He loves potatoes, so I will make baked potatoes and he puts his own stuff on his and I put my own on mine (usually steamed broccoli and nutritional yeast sauce). A week ago I made manicotti pasta stuffed with tofu/almond/butternut squash ricotta and oregano seasoning. I made an enchilada sauce to go over it. I thought he would hate it due to the tofu, which he usually doesn't like. So I was surprised at how much he loved that dish and really ate it up! He also loves my pancake dishes (and I don't tell him when I sneak in ground flaxseeds or chia seeds lol).

He is actually very good about eating my meals, and eats leftovers for his breakfast. I feed him more than I feed myself because he loses weight very easily otherwise. I tend to make heavier dishes for him on the side. I love homemade bean soups, but he will only eat thick pureed soups I make, like split pea, or carrot/white bean curry, or vegan cream of asparagus. He also doesn't like nutritional yeast or lentils too well, except the red lentils mixed in with stuff. And unless I smother vegetables in sauces, he won't eat them too much either. It is very frustrating, but he has come a long way over the years. He still buys his chips and pop for evening snacks (like right now he is probably downstairs chowing away on them lol) .

I have tried to get my partner to come workout at the gym with me, and he won't do it. But in a way I am glad, because that is my time for myself anyway. He does get out and walk, and I have to give him kudos for going on a 20 mile mountain bike trek on an old rough logging road in the back country of the Superior National Forest with me last June, and toughing it out when a storm hit and we were poured on and the temps dropped to 51 F. I am amazed at what he CAN do with his RA and other conditions. Yes, I wish he would eat healthier still, and love fruit and the vegetables I like to make as much as I do. I wish he wouldn't pretend to eat my asparagus, and then later I find it in the trash. On the same token, he is a full grown man who has to take care of himself and make his own decisions. I am just happy that he is supportive (for the most part) of me being vegan.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Ankle Biter

Since I'm the only cook in the family, when we eat at home, it's always vegan. I've been vegan for some time, however, so Ive become a pretty good cook and get few complaints.
LedBoots and QuietVegan like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 PM

As an update, he's been really enthusiastic and enjoyed all the meals so far. He even reluctantly admitted that the green smoothies I made for breakfast were pretty good! He did seem a little disappointed when I said I was going to take a day off since we have plenty of leftovers and asked permission to get a cheeseburger. I was simultaneously a little sad he was getting a burger and incredibly amused that he asked my permission to spend money he earned on food he was going to eat.

Oh! And I got a free treadmill from an old friend of the family. I'm setting it up in the office across from the computer so I can run while I watch lectures (yay for online classes!) and with no prompting at all my fiance said he thought he'd walk on it while reading on his tablet or while watching Netflix.

Last edited by Eternal Sunshine; 01-09-2016 at 08:15 PM.
#7 Old 01-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
As an update, he's been really enthusiastic and enjoyed all the meals so far. He even reluctantly admitted that the green smoothies I made for breakfast were pretty good! He did seem a little disappointed when I said I was going to take a day off since we have plenty of leftovers and asked permission to get a cheeseburger. I was simultaneously a little sad he was getting a burger and incredibly amused that he asked my permission to spend money he earned on food he was going to eat.

Oh! And I got a free treadmill from an old friend of the family. I'm setting it up in the office across from the computer so I can run while I watch lectures (yay for online classes!) and with no prompting at all my fiance said he thought he'd walk on it while reading on his tablet or while watching Netflix.
That's what can be so hard sometimes. My partner will enthusiastically eat all vegan for a while at home, and then we'll go visit his parents and they shove venison and cheese dishes at him and he eats those with equal delight. :/ And it will take him a while to get back into eating all vegan at home. I am strongly compassionate about what vegan means, and I really wish he were too, but we just have to be patient and let them do what they are going to do. Kudos to you for focusing on your own needs regardless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Like everyone else here, I cook most of our meals at home and only cook vegan. My partner seems fine with it, though he sometimes adds cheese to my pasta dishes. We haven't kept meat in the house for months, but on our last shopping trip he bought a bacon quiche.
#9 Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I am strongly compassionate about what vegan means, and I really wish he were too, but we just have to be patient and let them do what they are going to do.
We have very different reasoning, but he does essentially agree that veganism is more ethically upright than his current lifestyle. He's more against how messed up our food and agriculture systems have become rather than being against eating animals in general, but as long as it gets him to give up animals products (even if it's just most of the time) I'm happy. Plus, I think that line of reasoning should make it pretty easy to talk him into joining a CSA and helping me start a small garden.
no whey jose likes this.
#10 Old 01-11-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Like everyone else here, I cook most of our meals at home and only cook vegan. My partner seems fine with it, though he sometimes adds cheese to my pasta dishes. We haven't kept meat in the house for months, but on our last shopping trip he bought a bacon quiche.
Mine is so lactose intolerant that he'd be miserable all night if he added cheese! He does thankfully try to stay far away from bacon and other pig products most of the time out of respect for the fact that pigs are my favorite animals.
no whey jose likes this.
#11 Old 01-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Mine is so lactose intolerant that he'd be miserable all night if he added cheese! He does thankfully try to stay far away from bacon and other pig products most of the time out of respect for the fact that pigs are my favorite animals.
If my husband ate my favourite animal (rabbit), I would cry! We have a beloved pet bunny at home. I wish more people were exposed to pigs as companion animals. I think bacon would be a lot less popular if the general public could see first-hand how intelligent and sociable they are.
LedBoots and jocelyn3113 like this.
#12 Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
If my husband ate my favourite animal (rabbit), I would cry! We have a beloved pet bunny at home. I wish more people were exposed to pigs as companion animals. I think bacon would be a lot less popular if the general public could see first-hand how intelligent and sociable they are.
Agreed then maybe the same people who think others are digusting for eating dogs and cats wouldn't be so likely to eat them. I would love to meet a pet pig not common at all though.
no whey jose likes this.
#13 Old 01-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
Agreed then maybe the same people who think others are digusting for eating dogs and cats wouldn't be so likely to eat them. I would love to meet a pet pig not common at all though.
My sister had a friend a long time ago who had a pet pig. He was really smart and friendly, and loved to be cuddled. he walked on a leash just like a dog.
no whey jose likes this.

#14 Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM

They're supposed to make fantastic companion animals, though you really need to get two since they have a herd mentality. I've wanted a pair of piggies since I was seven years old. My partner is slowly warming up to the idea, but even I admit we need to wait until we have a place with a yard.
no whey jose likes this.
#15 Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 AM
Beginner

I'm not sure where you live but there's a wonderful place called Pigs Peace sanctuary one hour from Seattle.

http://www.pigspeace.org/main/index.html
no whey jose likes this.
#16 Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 AM

I'm on the opposite side of the country. When the time is right, though, I'm sure I can find a pair through the Pig Placement Network.

I also wanted to say that my fiancé said he woke up feeling great yesterday, and is surprised by how filling and satisfying vegan food is. I need to work on meal planning so I'm not running to the store every day, but so far cooking all his meals is working out great! I even think it's strengthening our relationship a bit, since we now sit down and have a meal together with no screens allowed. It's nice.
QuietVegan likes this.
#17 Old 01-28-2016, 07:55 PM

I'm really curious if you have any updates about your SO's situation!

Have you continued to cook vegan meals for the two of you? Has he continued to eat them? Have you noticed any changes in his health/overall well being?

I almost laughed out loud when I read your post because I am in such a similar situation.

My SO is constantly in pain in one way or another, it's like he just jumps from one weird terrible ailment to the next--one week, his shoulder is in excruciating pain, the next he's coming down with a cold, the next he's uncontrollably itchy. Honestly sometimes I feel like he's being overly dramatic, but it's also not in his nature to fake it--my conclusion, like yours, is that he doesn't take good care of himself, eats like crap, is constantly stressed because of work, and so his health suffers.

He ALSO happens to be an extremely picky eater, with a sensitive palate that you can't just sneak things by. He hates black pepper, fennel, celery, raw tomatoes (raw only), certain radishes (yes not all of them), sweet potatoes, soy sauce, the list goes on and on...the hardest for me was that he hates any kind of green herb like cilantro or parsley.

Anyway unlike your SO, he doesn't always "take to" the things that I make, so I kind of stopped cooking for him. Not completely, but I don't cook every single day, and I'm not on a mission like I was before when I thought I could make a big difference in his life just making at least the meals we have together every day healthy ones.

Anyway--I'm really curious to hear if you felt you saw a big difference in his well being...I'd like to think that it did. Let me know what's up!

Last edited by heejin; 01-28-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page