20Likes
  • 1 Post By strawberrycrepe
  • 7 Post By Poppy
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 7 Post By Lipps
  • 3 Post By strawberrycrepe

#1 Old 12-14-2015, 05:20 PM

Omni Brother

I need to get this off my chest. My brother is an avid omnivore. He eats burgers and fries almost every day. He also eats bacon for breakfast. He makes fun of me when I get upset (I don't say anything, but I tend to avoid him) and calls me self-righteous even when I make factual arguments.

I get very emotional, but I don't rant. I merely make a statement (something like it's better for the environment or for your health). He just says that "it tastes good". If my father (also a vegan) or I make a vegan meal, he wont eat it. He also burps all the time.

Last night, I made a meal for us, but he didn't eat it and ate cookies instead. I had to eat alone. I don't know what to do, but his behavior really upsets me and I feel like I need to vent.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Ankle Biter

Although I don't know how old your brother is, he sure doesn't seem very mature. That being the case, don't engage him! You know he's going to tease and goad you into arguments, so don't take the bait. Refuse to discuss it - he's just looking for a way to bug you. (That's what brother do really well - especially when they're immature!)

But, also don't let him spoil your fun! You've made a decision to follow a path that means something to you - you should enjoy this time!!! Learn to make some really wonderful dishes for you and your father, and don't expect your brother to be impressed - he won't be. Just keep cooking, keep learning and keep true to what you know to be right. One day, your brother will respect you - he might never go vegan, but he'll respect how you stood your ground, and took control of your life.

Most of us live with or have to deal with omnis on a regular basis. In my experience, they won't change just because you change, they have to have a change of heart too. I hope your brother does, but you have to realize that it's likely he won't. So don't let it make you unhappy.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 12-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Your brother sounds insufferable. Maybe this is something that will improve with time. Until then, concentrate on yourself. Don't offer him meals, don't engage, and and come up with a succinct, sharp statement to shut him up whenever he won't leave you alone-- something about his eating corpses, maybe. Something gross and off-putting but 100% true. You could also switch on video of a slaughterhouse while he's eating breakfast, if you want to fight immaturity with immaturity. 👿
Poppy and Purp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-15-2015, 05:01 AM
Beginner

The most powerful argument, as well as the best revenge, is a successful and happy life.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#5 Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Although I don't know how old your brother is, he sure doesn't seem very mature. That being the case, don't engage him! You know he's going to tease and goad you into arguments, so don't take the bait. Refuse to discuss it - he's just looking for a way to bug you. (That's what brother do really well - especially when they're immature!)

But, also don't let him spoil your fun! You've made a decision to follow a path that means something to you - you should enjoy this time!!! Learn to make some really wonderful dishes for you and your father, and don't expect your brother to be impressed - he won't be. Just keep cooking, keep learning and keep true to what you know to be right. One day, your brother will respect you - he might never go vegan, but he'll respect how you stood your ground, and took control of your life.

Most of us live with or have to deal with omnis on a regular basis. In my experience, they won't change just because you change, they have to have a change of heart too. I hope your brother does, but you have to realize that it's likely he won't. So don't let it make you unhappy.
You're right. I'll just have to focus on what I'm doing. I wanted him to like my food, but I don't think he will come around in that regard. Thank you for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Your brother sounds insufferable. Maybe this is something that will improve with time. Until then, concentrate on yourself. Don't offer him meals, don't engage, and and come up with a succinct, sharp statement to shut him up whenever he won't leave you alone-- something about his eating corpses, maybe. Something gross and off-putting but 100% true. You could also switch on video of a slaughterhouse while he's eating breakfast, if you want to fight immaturity with immaturity. 👿
Haha, I don't think he would be happy about the video. Yeah, I'll just say I wont talk about it and leave if he doesn't take the hint. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
The most powerful argument, as well as the best revenge, is
a successful and happy life.
Great advice. I plan on it.
Purp, Lipps and no whey jose like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page