My omni partner wants me to pack vegan lunches for him to take to work - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eternal Sunshine
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 08-11-2015, 09:27 PM

My omni partner wants me to pack vegan lunches for him to take to work

The other day my partner and I were talking about animals, food, and health, and he very sheepishly asked if I would start packing his lunches. He's expressed interest in eating more vegetarian meals before in an effort to be healthier and save money. I feel like a big part of the reason he didn't follow through was because he hates to cook, and I eat a lot of "weird vegan food" like seaweed snacks, freeze dried edamame, and tempeh straight from the package, which I understand might be intimidating to someone who hasn't been raised on health food. He's become a lot more adventurous with different cuisines, but he still follows the SAD for the most part. He doesn't eat eggs and is very lactose intolerant, so essentially he's asking me to pack him healthy, vegan lunches. I'm elated that he's willing to give up meat for another meal (breakfast is almost always vegetarian for him) but I can't think of anything that would be pleasing to someone used to Burger King and Taco Bell. Any advice?
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Eternal,

That's cool that your partner would like to try some new foods. If he likes burger and tacos, maybe he'd like burgers made with store-bought veggie patties. He'll want them greasy, so you could fry the patties in oil in a pan, then put them in a container separate from the rest of the burger - he can heat up the patties at work. This might work with tacos, too. If he likes spaghetti, that's an easy one, too. It doesn't sound like he'll want tempeh and seaweed, at least not now.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 08-12-2015, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Peanut butter and banana/organic or homemade jelly always works. My husband never gets tired of those. He also likes chickpea salad sandwiches or macaroni salad with chickpeas/celery/onion/vegan mayo. The macaroni salad can be made in a huge batch and stored in the refrigerator and packed for work several times. It tastes better cold anyway. Another one is to make potato salad ahead. My husband LOVES anything potato. I make it the old fashioned way for him, with vegan mayo (he likes Just Mayo better than egg based mayo), mustard, vinegar, potatoes, onion, salt/pepper etc.

I second the veggie burgers also. And Amy's makes frozen burritos and other ready made vegan meals, though that can get expensive. I sometimes make a huge batch of my own homemade veggie burgers and freeze them for easy meals later. I also like to make my own energy bars and freeze those for future use. My husband and I enjoy those when out on the trail. I use this formula:
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemad...gy-bar-recipe/

Hummus and crackers is another one. I can even get my SAD junk food husband to eat a garden salad if I use hummus or a thai peanut sauce as the dressing and throw in some seeds, raisins, chickpeas and other hardy items along with veggies and leafy greens.

He also likes canned Chow Mein vegetables and chickpeas or cubed tempeh over rice (though for him it has to be white rice...sighs) with an Asian sauce (molasses, soy sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, water). He used to hate tofu but he likes it if I cube up some extra firm tofu and saute it with red pepper, snowpeas, onion, broccoli, raisins, a little oil, and have this over rice or couscous with a peanut thai sauce. The key is always the sauce.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Sounds like your lifestyle is going to change his...congrats.

https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/201...lly-look-like/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page