VeggieBoards banner

Who has met an SO on the internet?

10K views 126 replies 70 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
Have you met your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/lover/ex/whatever thru an internet site (this one, another one, a site specifically meant for singles...whatever)?

How has it worked out, how was it better or worse than non-internet ways of meeting people? Would you recommend it or discourage it? Spill!

#102 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I wanted to know why he was going to call his girlfriend a lesbian, but I was afraid to ask.
That was actually my first thought, too, oh dear.

I never had the nerve to try online dating, although I saw the (potentially) good aspects of it. Moot point, now. My sister has done it, she's friends with a couple people she met.

VB has dating now -- how's that going? I almost wish I were single, just to check it out!

#104 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganKittie View Post

i met my fiance online about 4 years ago. needless to say as of recently we are no longer together..we are still good friends which is good because we have joint custody of the kitties..but it kinda sucks after 4 years and being 31 to start the dating crap again..
I hope you don't think 31 is old! (another 31 year old who must start dating again.) You've just depressed me. (no, not really, I don't feel old, and I don't want kids.)

#105 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I hope you don't think 31 is old! (another 31 year old who must start dating again.) You've just depressed me. (no, not really, I don't feel old, and I don't want kids.)
Hey, if 40 is the new 30, then 30 must be the new 20, right?

I'm single again since my first post in this thread. I have a profile up on an online dating/networking site, and for a while I was meeting a lot of people. I went on a ton of first dates. None of them ever went anywhere romantically, but I've made some really good friends. I've also met a lot of weirdos, but over the years my freak-radar has gotten pretty good so fortunately I didn't end up on dates with any of them.

Lately I've been getting a bit of dating fatigue, so I'm focusing on other aspects of my life and giving the romance stuff a rest. I don't regret any of it though because I've met some amazing people and had some great experiences I would otherwise have missed out on.

#107 ·
I didn't want to have a computer at home fearing I would go online and meet a serial killer. But that's not what happened. Quite the opposite.

I have several friends with very good luck with online dating. So, I bought a computer on Sat., signed up with an online dating Sun. and my soul mate sent me an email on Tues. We exchanged emails for a week, and that Sun. we met. In two months we moved in together, another year we got engaged, and two years plus later we were married. We are very happy together.

I subscribed to the online dating for a year and paid the fee. No knowing I would meet "the one" in one week. I gave my membership to my girlfriend who didn't have the same luck I had. Fate is a funny thing.

#108 ·
I met many people online through a online dating website, although I met many creeps I also met a lot of nice people. You have to be careful with the online dating thing cause you never know of who you're chatting with. I got lucky in the end cause I met my SO through that site. We had no expectations and met with the idea of just hanging out. On our second outting we hit it off and have been inseperable since. We moved in together a month after we started dating. I have to say I am grateful every day to have him in my life he's truely the best thing that's ever happened to me. I have never been this happy in my life before
and every day is a blessing.

#109 ·
I met a few exboyfriends and dated a few guys that I met on-line. Most of them I talked with them for at least a month or two before meeting. The first time I ever did it was someone I met when I was 15. We kept in touch on-line for several years before ever meeting. I see nothing wrong with it, but you have to be very careful whne doing it.

#110 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Whoa. So... did you?

We were trying to decide which "L" word you could possibly be referring to. I think we figured it had to be either "I Like your hair" or "I want to Lick your face".
Actually it was lesbian 3-way but she didn't buy that I was a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

Seriously, yes, I did. And it went well.

#114 ·
Oooo. Congrats, Michael.
I assume you're talking about whats-her-name. FYI, I dumped whats-his-name ... but already have another interest
Interestly enough, I met him through a local online dating site, but he happens to be a friend of a friend. It works out well. I can get all the dirt on him via my friend and I have verified communications that he's not a psychopath.

I've met several people through the internet, most of them were for dating purposes, a few are friends, only a couple turned out to be the stalker type.

#123 ·
I'm kind of in the process... met a dude, we totally hit it off-totally... have talked almost every day on the phone for the past 2-3 months... we're gonna get together either tomorrow, err today (saturday) or sunday... my bro wants to meet him... bro says he sounds awesome (my bro is SO protective over me, too) i asked my bro if it was weird that i've met someone from the net... he said considering everything w/this guy it's really not, so yeah, he'll meet my bro, bro's gf and my dad right away, so it'll be safer than meeting him alone... we'll see how it goes... so far so great though... still feel weird about the internet thing, but yeah, we'll see! I'm still iffy about the net thing, but if it works then yay! I still feel weird about meeting someone from online... I've done that in the past when I was younger, but now, yeah, I dunno... I'll give it a shot though... my dad & my bro back me up and will make sure I'm safe, so yeah... again, we'll see what happens...

#124 ·
Hi, I met my now husband last February on match.com. We instantly hit it off and began speaking on IM and the phone daily. The big bummer was he lived in England and I lived in San Francisco! He bought his first international airline ticket and flew out to meet me 5 weeks later. We were hooked. My friends loved him to, which is a big deal.

I came to visit him in May for two weeks, my first trip to England. He came back to SF in September, we got married! He came back in November, then I moved here this March. Brought my doggy with me too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.