Boyfriend considering going veggie :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By DTASFAB

#1 Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 AM

Boyfriend considering going veggie :)

I'm recently turned vegan and been in a relationship with an omni for 8 months. He was a vegetarian for a few years before I knew him but went back to eating meat due to health difficulties and dietary boredom. I was a vegetarian for a while too but had gone back to meat eating before I met him. I've never been happy eating meat but health problems, including the energy it takes to cook interesting meals from scratch, forced me back into it.

Since reading about the meat industry in more depth I've been more emotionally committed to veganism so have been exploring quick and easy receipes that taste good. I'm amazed just how many there are. I've always been lactose intolerant so it's been easy to take it a step further and avoid eggs (never liked them much anyway). I'm now working towards avoiding animal products in clothing, toiletries etc.

Anyhow, I told my boyfriend that I was going vegetarian again and possibly vegan. He was supportive as I knew he would be and said he was happy to eat veggie meals while at mine even though I said I didn't mind if he wanted to get something different and cook it himself. I've always taken the philosophy that I can't force him to eat certain things and it would be unfair to force my own values on him. I really believe in meeting people half way and living by example.

Yesterday while out for a drink he told me he was now seriously considering reverting back to vegetarianism He said if I can do it, he can too. I told him I was chuffed but that if it became hard even half the week without meat was a bonus for him, the animals and well everyone!

This is a guy who loves steak, burgers, hotdogs...you name it, if it's really unhealthy and fatty he loves it. I'm really surprised he was a vegetarian before but he loves animals and I know that was a big influence for him. I don't know if he'll become vegan but even vegetarian is a big deal for someone who eats meat for every meal now.

It means a lot to me that he is even thinking about this. Even if he cuts out meat for a few days he is saving animals lives and reducing the environmental impact. On a personal level it means a lot that he has been influenced by me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiestez View Post
This is a guy who loves steak, burgers, hotdogs...you name it, if it's really unhealthy and fatty he loves it. I'm really surprised he was a vegetarian before but he loves animals and I know that was a big influence for him. I don't know if he'll become vegan but even vegetarian is a big deal for someone who eats meat for every meal now.
I used to be like this. Still, I probably eat more fake meat than anybody else on this forum, and I'm highly skilled at finding vegan junk food. I love vegan burgers that are good and greasy. My health may suffer a little, but I still thoroughly enjoy eating, which is important to me. Health-wise, an unhealthy vegan diet is still SO MUCH better than eating steak, sausage, and cheeseburgers followed by desserts made from dairy products. It's all just a question of motivation. If he has it, he can do it, and he can still be as unhealthy as he wants to be!
#3 Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiestez View Post
I'm recently turned vegan and been in a relationship with an omni for 8 months. He was a vegetarian for a few years before I knew him but went back to eating meat due to health difficulties and dietary boredom. I was a vegetarian for a while too but had gone back to meat eating before I met him. I've never been happy eating meat but health problems, including the energy it takes to cook interesting meals from scratch, forced me back into it.

Since reading about the meat industry in more depth I've been more emotionally committed to veganism so have been exploring quick and easy receipes that taste good. I'm amazed just how many there are. I've always been lactose intolerant so it's been easy to take it a step further and avoid eggs (never liked them much anyway). I'm now working towards avoiding animal products in clothing, toiletries etc.

Anyhow, I told my boyfriend that I was going vegetarian again and possibly vegan. He was supportive as I knew he would be and said he was happy to eat veggie meals while at mine even though I said I didn't mind if he wanted to get something different and cook it himself. I've always taken the philosophy that I can't force him to eat certain things and it would be unfair to force my own values on him. I really believe in meeting people half way and living by example.

Yesterday while out for a drink he told me he was now seriously considering reverting back to vegetarianism He said if I can do it, he can too. I told him I was chuffed but that if it became hard even half the week without meat was a bonus for him, the animals and well everyone!

It means a lot to me that he is even thinking about this. Even if he cuts out meat for a few days he is saving animals lives and reducing the environmental impact. On a personal level it means a lot that he has been influenced by me too.
That's great! Try cooking some hearty vegan meals for the two of you, havw fun with spices and flavors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome and that's love too! Your boyfriend obviously care for you and you also make him think about his own lifestyle.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#5 Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

That's great My girlfriend turned vegetarian soon after we met- it was something she had thought about before, and I think it just gave her a little more motivation to see someone she knew closely living without meat. I can't imagine being with someone who ate meat long term now....
#6 Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone! It does mean a lot that he's considering this, I know he loves his meat.
#7 Old 12-12-2014, 06:32 AM

Sounds wonderful. I became a veggie through my partner but the circumstances were less romantic. I had very little money at the time and, when we moved in together, I did not want to have to buy two sets of food or cook two meals.

In any case, you have obviously prompted some reflection in him, so he takes you seriously, and it is something that you will be able to share together that is your own.
#8 Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

veggiestez, I don't get the "went back to eating meat because of health problems and dietary boredom" (for your boyfriend). I mean what exactly in meat makes him healthier? I'm curious. Also, like I always say, putting together a binder with yummy recipes is a must! The internet is FULL of tons of different easy to put together recipes, dietary boredom is just impossible! I personally stay away from recipes that are time consuming or ask for hard (for me) to get ingredients and can still pass 2 weeks without eating the same thing twice unless it's leftovers for lunch Try to replace your favorites first, then find basics like a pasta sauce, gravy etc. experiment with spices and see how the same dish taste different if you use oriental spices vs curry vs savory. He likes burgers and fast food stuff, cool we have that also, my teenager say my veggie burgers taste better then beef ones! One recipe for burgers make 8 patties that I freeze so it's really not time consuming.

Keep us updated! How do you both find your return so far? Any difficulties?

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page