Why I like VB - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

VB rocks, i really needed a forum like this in my life. my only veg friend is my best friend and hasnt spoken to me since i blew her off on new years. and when she does talk to me again its not like our vegetarian views coincide. she eats soy cheese with casein, fish and wears leather.

and the husband is an apathetic meat eating rockstar...

i just cant talk about things in real life like i do here. its also getting me more involved in activisim (letter writing)

i guess i just think of meat eating as selfish gluttony and im having a tough time relating to my fellow human beings. the board has saved me from becoming totally anti-social.

thank you michael.

anybody else feel the same way?

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Eating meat is totally selfish. I definitely feel that way. The vb's were a lifesaver for me! I don't know any other vegetarians in everyday life (well, i'm vegan), so this makes me feel so comfortable. I am mad, because my lacto-ovo stepmom and sister are now eating turkey and fish. Agh!
#3 Old 05-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya.. I love this board too. It really helped me a lot to take the leap and become vegetarian.. and then vegan. It's not always easy in Taiwan to find people I can really relate to, so veggie boards has helped me a lot to make this transition easier! Wooo hoo.. just happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

It is indeed a constructive outlet most of the time.
#5 Old 05-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel the same way bizzarro....

<--- Still loves Michael
#6 Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it because we all have something in common, but can talk about other things as well.

I love that we can debate and fight and still love each other, and mostly not be too afraid to hurt each other's feelings

I love that we're so generally upbeat. I've been to other boards where it's all gloomy, all the time, and all people do is whine. Here, we're allowed to whine if we need to, but it's not hard to find something more fun to talk about than our horrible day or family crisis.
#7 Old 05-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i guess i should elaborate my OP and state i dont think all meateaters are selfish gluttons but i certainly have my moments. sometimes i love everybody and sometimes i wish the meateaters would blow up! LOL! anyhow i just wanted to add that so this thread doesnt turn into negativity.

its just great to have a little haven like this to talk with like minded people on various issues because really nobody in my real life is a veg. i dont know where i caught it from, LOL!

you guys all totally rule, dude.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#8 Old 05-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I feel the same way bizzarro....

<--- Still loves Michael

ohhh how scandlous! ANOTHER VB couple..???

i love michael too, just not in that warm fuzzy bunny sort of way.

tell us Sally, (if you know) is he as cute as that boston rob guy?

(i still dont know who boston rob is, but he certinly is a looker)

#9 Old 05-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Nobody in my life is a veg either. I just woke up one day, and said "Hmm..I'm going to be a Vegetarian!". I eventually turned into a Vegan. I am very happy with my choice, and so are the animals! I think the Vegtables hate me now, because I keep eating them
#10 Old 05-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Likes-likes-likes...........Happy-happy-happy..Meet the finest folks here.........T.
#11 Old 05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro View Post

you guys all totally rule, dude.

For a second there I read this 'you guys are totally rude, dude'
#12 Old 05-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea View Post

LOL, me too.
#13 Old 05-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I just joined and I love it. Very nice to talk to like minded people. I know what you mean. I'm starting to view meat eaters as selfish also. I try not to because I'm open minded, but its like some know how animals suffer and they just don't care. They love the taste so the animals just don't matter. I put my love of animals way above the taste. In fact, just looking at meat makes me sick now. To taste it again would make me sick. Just the thought of it! It can make you anti social. I just try and remember that I too once ate meat(for 29 yrs) out of habit and I guess I just didn't think about it. I wasn't a big meat eater at all. Always have been a picky eater. I'm just glad I finally got it and became a vegetarian. I do feel guilty for ever eating meat, but I can't change it. So all I can do is not eat it now. Just try and remember many meat eaters are actually good people, they just don't think about it or they just don't know. It's the ones that know about how animals live & die for food and such and just don't care that are selfish. I just thank God that more and more people every day turn vegetarian & vegan. Maybe one day the whole world will be.

Stay Safe,

Stephanie
#14 Old 05-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It's self-evident that VB is awesome. Nothing more need be said. :-D

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 05-29-2004, 10:30 PM

Alot of forums I've visited are really mean to newbies. I even went to one Veggie site that pretty much insulted anyone who wasnt vegan. I like this place because I'm able to interact with diff types of vegetarians without the risk of my views being shut down.
#16 Old 05-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

Alot of forums I've visited are really mean to newbies. I even went to one Veggie site that pretty much insulted anyone who wasnt vegan. I like this place because I'm able to interact with diff types of vegetarians without the risk of my views being shut down.

i would say over half the people here are vegans, i think there was a poll about it. theres always going to be people who think they are better than others, veg*ns included. there is a little of that here too but not much. most people are very accepting of others viewpoints. this board is friendly, warm and welcoming for the most part.

#17 Old 05-30-2004, 12:38 AM

kewl..thanks.
#18 Old 05-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=5157

41 ovo-lacto vegetarians \t16.08%

76 vegetarians consciouslly trying to minimize animal products in their diet\t29.80%

128 vegans\t50.20%

6 none of the aboves\t2.35%

4 omnis\t1.57%
#19 Old 05-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom and stepdad are vegetarian, but they live across the country, and I only know one other vegan. It's nice to be somewhere where people THINK and CARE about this stuff...
#20 Old 05-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Beginner

i am new but so far i have learned A LOT! all of the old school VB'ers are really available when it comes to sharing information. it's easier for me to make the switch to veganism when i have this amazing amount of support. i also am pleasantly surprised at the amount of affection displayed towards one another. all this licking going on.
#21 Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM

Despite the ongoing ramblings of the peanut gallery, I still say this place rocks.
#22 Old 05-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

I just joined and I love it. Very nice to talk to like minded people. I know what you mean. I'm starting to view meat eaters as selfish also. I try not to because I'm open minded, but its like some know how animals suffer and they just don't care. They love the taste so the animals just don't matter. I put my love of animals way above the taste. In fact, just looking at meat makes me sick now. To taste it again would make me sick. Just the thought of it! It can make you anti social. I just try and remember that I too once ate meat(for 29 yrs) out of habit and I guess I just didn't think about it. I wasn't a big meat eater at all. Always have been a picky eater. I'm just glad I finally got it and became a vegetarian. I do feel guilty for ever eating meat, but I can't change it. So all I can do is not eat it now. Just try and remember many meat eaters are actually good people, they just don't think about it or they just don't know. It's the ones that know about how animals live & die for food and such and just don't care that are selfish. I just thank God that more and more people every day turn vegetarian & vegan. Maybe one day the whole world will be.

Stay Safe,

Stephanie

stephanie, you are just too sweet!
#23 Old 05-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=5157

41 ovo-lacto vegetarians \t16.08%

76 vegetarians consciouslly trying to minimize animal products in their diet\t29.80%

128 vegans\t50.20%

6 none of the aboves\t2.35%

4 omnis\t1.57%

#24 Old 06-01-2004, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for sharing your positive feelings about VB.

I don't think the "peanut gallery"'s feelings ought to be diminished here, as they are quite legitimate, but I am pleased to hear that many newer members still get so much out of this place.
#25 Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 AM

Sorry about that, I do like this place though. Wasn't meant to be a personal attack on the group, just one person I had in mind. Shouldn't have brought it here though.
#26 Old 06-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. There's a lot to recommend VB. Negativism is not one of them. If we can weed that out, we'll have our wonderful world back to a place that some of the newbies couldn't imagine. Not quite Utopia, but beautiful all the same.
#27 Old 06-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

whats a peanut gallery?

#28 Old 06-12-2004, 02:18 AM

LOL Biz the "peanut gallery" are people who's opinions are insignificant, OR insignificant criticism.
#29 Old 06-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea View Post

Oh Good lord, I read it like that as well. LOL.
#30 Old 06-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

you guys need to eat your carrots-i hear they are good for your eyes! LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page