Relationships with non-veg*ns. Good or bad? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

#31 Old 09-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post
This is simply a generalization. My husband (as well as my ex-husband) were both omni, with no want to go vegetarian or vegan, and neither of them fed our children meat. If they decide to do that without it being something that has been agreed upon then that is a sign of disrespect and that is an issue in any relationship -- interdietary or not.
And your in laws didn't give the children meat either? You are very lucky, from experiences I have heard about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-06-2014, 06:09 AM

I'm not yet fully vegetarian but I'm currently transitioning (a week into it so far) and my boyfriend eats meat. Since I've been pescetarian on/off for a long time my boyfriend has always been aware that I feel strongly about animal rights issues and looking at/cooking with meat. He used to be a vegetarian himself a few years back so he isn't immune to these issues but had difficulty adjusting to a meat-free diet, so he reverted.

It's still early days but my boyfriend is very supportive of my desire to become fully vegetarian and is happy to eat veggie meals at weekends. Long term we may end up making separate meals if we move in together, at least if he wants to eat meat. We have only been together 8 months so we're getting to know each other in other ways too. I don't think this will be a major issue since he's very laid back and i take the philosophy that I can only change myself, no one else. From things I've said in conversation and his reaction I suspect this will cause him to reflect on his stance towards eating meat too, but I don't expect him to change to suit me.

We also differ on spiritual views so I guess it's another aspect of the same thing. We don't agree, but respect each other for how we each see the world. I wish I could talk to him about certain things but that's why I reach out for other support networks, What I do have in my boyfriend is a supportive caring companion (I see him as my 'Buddha lol) and that's what counts.

That said, if anything happened to him, I would most likely want to start a relationship with someone who is at least a pescetarian, preferably veggie or vegan.
#33 Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM

I went vegetarian a year ago, and I've been transitioning to a vegan lifestyle for over a month. My husband, 2 year old daughter and 8 year old stepson are all still omnis. I don't have much choice about that, so I try to lead by example and cook as many tasty veg meals as possible to share with them. I am finding it hard to deal with the smell of meat cooking and although I've cooked some of their meals with meat, I find that harder to deal with but haven't said I won't do it. I can see it is getting harder for me but I'm only one member of the household and I try to focus on the positive choices I'm making for myself. It's all I can do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page