Coming out as a vegetarian vs Coming out as gay - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By scwendy

#1 Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 AM

Cool Coming out as a vegetarian vs Coming out as gay

I've done one of these things (the vegetarian one).I know someday I will have to do the other one.But what I'm asking you is which one do you think is harder?Personally I think coming out as gay is much harder.Mostly because sexuality is a very personal thing, its who you love.
Please respect everyone's stance's in this thread, we all know what it's like to be judged.

Last edited by mangolover; 08-21-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it largely depends where you live. I don't personally know anyone who would care about someone being gay in my hometown. However during my time in japan I have heard people say that it would be gross to have a gay friend. I don't really understand why but that's just the way it is there.
#3 Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Coming out is a very personal thing and can be difficult or easy depending upon circles moved in and family "politics".
In some professions and social scenes being both gay and vegetarian is a definite plus whereas there are huge áreas where both are seen as positively outlandish and not to be tolerated.
Only you will know if coming out as homosexual is going to be easy or difficult. I wish you well if and when you make the decisión.

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#4 Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan, and my brother is gay. From what I can tell, coming out as gay is harder initially, because it's more of a "shock" for those you tell. Long-term though, it seems homosexuals have a lot more support that only gets stronger with time. Whereas coming out as vegan, people aren't really phased at all at first, but gradually become more and more defensive rather than supportive. Atleast that's my experience.

So yes, I would say for the "coming out" part, gay would be harder. But the hard part (in terms of how your loved ones act around you, not your own internal challenges, that I can't speak for) doesn't last long.

Best of luck!! Never stop being true to yourself!
#5 Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Beginner

I'd say coming out as bi to a conservative Catholic family very concerned with health was a billion times harder. My personal anxiety and the initial reactions were the worst parts, but now- afterwards and in the long term- I felt soooo much better afterwards. Even the occasional freak-out by a parent that happens "OMG IS SHE A GIRLFRIEND GIRLFRIEND OF YOURS?" (and at this point I'm married to a guy, monogamous) really doesn't phase me because it's now their problem to have with an aspect of me, it's not my problem with an aspect of me that I'm carrying around.
I will say after I came out, I wasn't running around telling them every time I went on a date with a girl or a guy or any of that- I keep my personal life very personal. I also tell very few people I'm eating vegan foods, so I haven't had any facebook freakouts after posting a pro-vegan photo or anything like that.
#6 Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
I'm vegan, and my brother is gay. From what I can tell, coming out as gay is harder initially, because it's more of a "shock" for those you tell. Long-term though, it seems homosexuals have a lot more support that only gets stronger with time. Whereas coming out as vegan, people aren't really phased at all at first, but gradually become more and more defensive rather than supportive. Atleast that's my experience.

So yes, I would say for the "coming out" part, gay would be harder. But the hard part (in terms of how your loved ones act around you, not your own internal challenges, that I can't speak for) doesn't last long.

Best of luck!! Never stop being true to yourself!
I always thought it was odd that people reacted more to being vegetarian than being gay.I mean it is a good thing that people are more accepting of loving who you choose to love.It just shows that that little things like not eating meat can tip off some/most people.
#7 Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Beginner

I am a vegan with a son who also happens to be gay. I live in the southern United States. Coming out as either can be difficult here. I must say though that I am very lucky that in spite of their conservative bent, all my family is extremely supportive and vocal where LGBTA issues are concerned. You want my redneck brother to kick your arse? Say something about his gay nephew.
anole likes this.
#8 Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwendy View Post
I am a vegan with a son who also happens to be gay. I live in the southern United States. Coming out as either can be difficult here. I must say though that I am very lucky that in spite of their conservative bent, all my family is extremely supportive and vocal where LGBTA issues are concerned. You want my redneck brother to kick your arse? Say something about his gay nephew.
It's always awesome to have a supportive family.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page