Unions or Marriage? The Gay Marriage Debate - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
We're just postponing the inevitable. Give gay people equal rights and get it over with.

Regardless of which side you're on I definitely think that's true.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-01-2004, 11:29 PM

Yeah but that's what the debate seems to be about. Everyone says marriage is a sacred religious thing, which it absolutely isn't because anyone(man & woman) of any belief can get married... I haven't heard an anti-gay marriage argument other than that one. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's the only thing I've heard.
#63 Old 06-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiccanveg View Post

Personally I don't think Unions are great because it's still Seperate but Equal.

Actually civil unions are separate and UNequal. They do not give many of the benefits of marriage. Make civil unions benefits equal to marriage benefits and then I will be OK with "just" civil unions instead of marriage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropdwaas View Post

Its legal here in Holland

In the netherlands you can get married with a person of the same sex, or of the opposite sex. It's your choice.

You could also go for the "living together agreement" (LTA)

This is a legal document made by what americans would call a lawyer.

It can also be a document that you made yourself, describing what you have and what your rights will be when there is trouble.

A LTA could arrange for a female to get the pension of a boyfriend, might he die or so.

I don't get all this talk about the sacred marriage, because how I see it, there's not too much people who take that seriously.

In the netherlands, they also had a flash divorce

You where married, went to a lawyer to have the marriage transfered into a LTA. The next day the LTA could be made undone without problems.

Iirc that is now no longer possible.
#65 Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

to be perfectly honest, I think that marriage is a dated concept anyway.
#66 Old 06-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivore View Post

Actually civil unions are separate and UNequal. They do not give many of the benefits of marriage. Make civil unions benefits equal to marriage benefits and then I will be OK with "just" civil unions instead of marriage.

Thats really basiclly what I meant to say, especially when I said civil unions are not okay.
#67 Old 06-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiccanveg View Post

Thats really basiclly what I meant to say, especially when I said civil unions are not okay.

#68 Old 06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schmeebis View Post

You are incorrect. The only way to create new people is a technology called sexual intercourse.

I believe he was joking, but either way, many MANY lesbian couples have children through a technology called INVETRO FERTILIZATION.

Oh yeah, and also test tube babies. So no sexual intercourse needed there either.
#69 Old 06-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Actually, the law doesn't require you have to even like the other person. I have a lot of friends who can attest to that.

Thanks for the laugh, Tame.
#70 Old 06-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

I think if two gay people would like to get married, they should be able to do so without any trouble or having to travel to a state that "accepts" the marriage. It's not the government's business whether two people would like to marry or not.
#71 Old 06-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree with kpikell's opinion here. It's going to happen, just a matter of when.

B
#72 Old 06-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schmeebis View Post

You are incorrect. The only way to create new people is a technology called sexual intercourse.

actually there is a newer technology called artificial insemination.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#73 Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 PM

i think its a little scary when the goverment can tell you who you can love&marry and who you uh, cant. It's like, WHOA youre up too much in my buisness thank you very much!

Thank goodness the church has stopped making life or death prision descions. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that there would be alot of dead lesbians/gays/bis/trans if that still happened...

*shudder*

The goverment should stay out of my buisness and my love life, really. Im in total support of Gay Marriage. its just another form of discrimination in my opinion. eta: form of discrimination not to let people marry, i had a feeling that people would misunderstand me.
#74 Old 06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Beginner

That is true...No one should have less rights for any reason....it's like back in the days of the civil rights movement. Yes it's good that all happened, so that we all get equal rights, but did it actually work? Obviously not! This is all just stupid and needs to end. People are people that's that...who cares which people other people marry...or whatever. Marry who you love, do what you want, it's the land of the free, that's they way it should be.
#75 Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM

I actually kind of like the idea of, rather than making gay marriage legal, making all marriage "alegal." That is to say, make marriage a personal and/or religious matter and have so-called "civil unions" for everyone. That way, marriage is either a commitment made with family and friends or through religious institutions, while legally everyone gets the same protection through civil unions. Divorce marriage (pardon the pun) from law entirely. If the religious right oppose gay marriages, their churches don't have to perform them. The rest of us can do as we please.

However, that is not the real world: in the real world, GLBT folks need to be treated like the people they are, and right now, the right to marriage is a part of personhood. So in the real world, I strongly support gay marriage. If I weren't so gosh-darned straight, I'd move to Massachusetts and marry a man.

#76 Old 06-10-2004, 12:14 AM

but you cant even say all people are still equal in america, there is so much inequality running rampant its terrible. This would be a step in the right direction, and it would shed some light on other equality issues. i know it gets tiring, but there is alot of stuff that you wouldnt believe still happens.

discrimination against:

handicapped persons

mulatto people (this one is the worst for me because so few people even know what im talking about)

women

men (my teacher made this argument to me last year. 'where are the battered men shelters? were are the male co-ops?')

people of african descent (not just african americans, people that are directly immigrate up here from the country of africa)

poor/homeless

battered people (of any sex)

HIV + Children and Teens (this one makes me so sad..especially when its against kids who were born with it, it makes me cry)

sexual assualt survivors

and the list goes on. and on. and on.

and maybe if this gay marriage thing goes through and all the lovely queers/trans/bis/lesbian/gays/??? people can marry whoever they fall in love with, maybe some other groups will start speaking out on the injustices done to them, and we can start looking at the american population in more ways than just gay/straight, white/mexican/black, wimmyn/men. maybe then we could just mold into ONE race.

the human race, because thats what we all belong to, right?

i'll hop off my soapbox now.

Rebel Girl.
#77 Old 06-10-2004, 10:18 AM

The homosexual community i am sure, does not wish to walk down the isle of the chamber of commerce to recieve a marriage licence, they want to walk down that church isle and be recognized for what they are!!! PEAOPLE WHO LOVE EACHOTHER! wanna mess with glamboy right now?

~Glamboy
#78 Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 AM

They can still get married in a church if the church allows it. Everyone needs to get a marriage license from the Clerk of Courts prior to the actual ceremony. I think you may be confusing obtaining the license and actually performing the ceremony.
#79 Old 06-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

My college roommate's mom was gay and got married to another woman in the Quaker church. There are churches who will do it already, the marriages just don't get any legal benefits and that is what the homosexual community wants.
#80 Old 06-10-2004, 12:53 PM

Committed relationships between two loving people should be encouraged, not prohibited, regardless of whether it be a straight or gay union. The very idea that prejudice and even violence exists because of an aspect of a human being which is a part of them, is extremely repugnant to me -- though I also strongly believe in tolerance of persons with different philosophies, choices and beliefs. I am disgusted at the fact that our society condemns people for having and showing affection and love of one another, if the relationship doesn't meet certain arbitrary requirements.

SBNN,

Earthsong
#81 Old 06-10-2004, 02:39 PM

yes, that is what i meant, sorry

~Glamboy
#82 Old 06-10-2004, 03:11 PM

society is gross.

im moving to norway.
#83 Old 06-10-2004, 07:51 PM

People should be able to marry whoever they want. As long as I dont have to sit through another reception, I'm all for gay marriages.
#84 Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM

my hardcore neo pagan buddie saw a sticker of that up on a classroom door in my school and he threatened to sue the school if they didnt take it down. that was off topic. i was talking about your sig, Shag.

yeah, well you know that we are catching up to canada! pretty soon all you will need to do is be 19 and then you can drink and smoke pot and marry whoever you like.
#85 Old 06-13-2004, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbLover View Post

My college roommate's mom was gay and got married to another woman in the Quaker church. There are churches who will do it already, the marriages just don't get any legal benefits and that is what the homosexual community wants.

And well they should. Unitarians have also been performing commitment ceremonies for years, but in the end, it isn't enough.

* Here's something you may not have thought of. Will civil unions extend to the Immigration service? A very good friend of mine had her partner's visa pulled due to some sort of technicality. Suddenly, two women who were devoted to each other were in separate countries. If they were hetero, the one outside the U.S. could have married the one inside the U.S. and the problem would be solved. But not for them!

I agree with kpickell and the others who say it's bound to happen. The question is, how many people have to be hurt by the astounding "sanctity-of-marriage" hypocrisy until it does?
#86 Old 06-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUVeggie View Post

I agree with kpickell and the others who say it's bound to happen. The question is, how many people have to be hurt by the astounding "sanctity-of-marriage" hypocrisy until it does?

Maybe, maybe not.

"You'll get nothing and you'll like it!" - Judge Smails, "Caddyshack"
#87 Old 06-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Maybe, maybe not.

Okay. Maybe I'm an optimist. I also believe the world is more accepting of veg*nism than it was five or ten years ago.

As slow and ungainly as it may be, the general overall trend in our society is away from discrimination, and that is what the anti-gay marriage thing is, discrimination. So I do think it will happen. I hope so.
#88 Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUVeggie View Post

Suddenly, two women who were devoted to each other were in separate countries. If they were hetero, the one outside the U.S. could have married the one inside the U.S. and the problem would be solved. But not for them!

Actually, that's not true at all. It's very hard to get a person into the US regardless. My husband (Canadian) and I waited a year to get married because of paperwork. If we'd gotten married earlier, the visa we'd applied for would have become void and we'd have had to wait another two years.

No particular reason, either. There weren't any real complications. Things were just very slow.

Oh, and people should be able to marry whoever the hell they want. I find it disgusting and depressing that there are still so many people against homosexual marriage.
#89 Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Its not even about legal benefits ( well a lot of it is ) Its also about having their love be recognized by others and accepted the same way hetero's are. Thats why civil unions are "seperate not equal " ...blah...anyways happy pride month ( or whats left of it )
#90 Old 07-04-2004, 10:53 PM

I realise that Im late and am just probably resurrecting an old debate,

I think the whole gay marriage issue has to do with whether or not marriage was given to us by law or by our culture/religion/society.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page