Family Dinner Anger!! Rant Ahead - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-04-2004, 06:03 PM

Grr! My family just made chicken wings for dinner. They come out of the oven, and the smell is making me sick. So my mom comes down and goes "You know what, I'm not hungry." and my brother says he's not hungry either. So my mom puts them in the fridge (but no one in my family eats left over meat except when it's like a ham or turkey *gag*) and I'm just glaring at her. I didn't even know what to say, I was that angry. They killed 4 or more chickens, and she cooked them and then...grr!!! Sorry, just had to rant about that.

Edited for horrible spelling mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

It's always bad to waste.
#3 Old 05-04-2004, 06:33 PM

I hate wasting food. That's one of my biggest pet peeves, along with bad breath and ebonics in the 'burbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, why has it become such an accepted thing over the years to discard food? When I was growing up, I used to always hear people condemn the process of throwing out uneaten food, often with a line about kids starving somewhere in the world. Now, it seems like no one gives a second thought to just throwing leftovers in the trash.

Was I just ignorant of it as a kid, or has there been a definite trend towards accepting a mass waste of food?
#5 Old 05-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Why would she put them in the fridge if she didn't plan on eating them later?

//shrug
#6 Old 05-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Why would she put them in the fridge if she didn't plan on eating them later?

My mum always does that. She hopes she'll use the leftovers, and then they either get lost in all the stuff in our over-filled fridge and she forgets about them, or doesn't get round to eating them. She tries...
#7 Old 05-05-2004, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post

My mum always does that. She hopes she'll use the leftovers, and then they either get lost in all the stuff in our over-filled fridge and she forgets about them, or doesn't get round to eating them. She tries...

Exactly.

Wasting=
#8 Old 05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a while ago, my mom fried some bacon...the smell has lingered through the house, and I am so naucious right now..
#9 Old 05-05-2004, 01:34 PM

I am like that, I hate wasting things and get mad when something

is wasted. That is terrible that the baked them and decided not to eat

them. You should give them to a friend that likes that kind of thing,

I often make (too much) food and when I have leftovers I will give them to my

grandma and she is eating better and I am not wasting food.

I was also brought up not to waste and it is a pet peeve of mine also.

Shannon
#10 Old 05-05-2004, 02:22 PM

If you ask me, they were already "wasted" long before they reached the fridge.

And I`ll have to argue over the dead birds being refered to as "food".

They should shove `em back in the oven, crank it up to max and give `em a good send off!

Ocean:

I and many others on here know how you feel there. That was the worst one that I remember from my parents place. Had the same effect on me too.
#11 Old 05-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh. That's awful! Waste not, want not, I always say. I love leftovers myself--saves me having to cook so much and they're great for lunches (not meat, though, of course! ).
#12 Old 05-05-2004, 04:47 PM

I know this will get immediate reactions from some of you, but if it bothers you that bad, whip up a batch of chicken vegetable soup for supper for them.

If you're not willing to use it up then frankly you're wasting the chicken, too.
#13 Old 05-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Good idea, Krista. Either that or share it with a neighbor or someone. Trimming off the meat and feeding it to the neighborhood stray animals is another option (without the bones).
#14 Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 PM

Yeah, you can feed it to the animals. Do you have cats? Dogs? Don't let it go to waste.
#15 Old 05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Yeah, you can feed it to the animals. Do you have cats? Dogs? Don't let it go to waste.

If you leave it go you set an example. If you use it then you set a different example. Do you want this to stop or continue is the question.

Im sure letting it rot and go moldy can have a chance (no matter how small)of changing their habits.

If you use it they will just assume that you will always take care of the waste and definately not think anything of it.
#16 Old 05-05-2004, 07:15 PM

She already said they never use leftovers. She's already done the nothing approach; it doesn't change them. Why let food waste? You may not consider it food, but others do - heck, my cat would - so why not allow those people to enjoy in it? It has nothing to do w/ vegetarianism or veganism and have everything to do with edible protein matter wasting in the fridge that will end up in a landfill.

If you don't want waste, then do something about it.
#17 Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

She already said they never use leftovers. She's already done the nothing approach; it doesn't change them. Why let food waste? You may not consider it food, but others do - heck, my cat would - so why not allow those people to enjoy in it? It has nothing to do w/ vegetarianism or veganism and have everything to do with edible protein matter wasting in the fridge that will end up in a landfill.

If you don't want waste, then do something about it.

I dont see anywhere where the poster has said anything about what she has done or tried.

Second, where does it say this isnt vegetarianism related? This line right here says more than enough:

"I didn't even know what to say, I was that angry. They killed 4 or more chickens, and she cooked them and then...grr!!!"
#18 Old 05-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems like this is a common problem at SP's house, so it doesn't seem like leaving it is will solve anything either. They already do it, so if SP decides to do something about it, maybe mom/dad will see that there's a waste habit problem that needs to be fixed. Personally, I can't stand the idea of paying for all of that and throwing it in the trash (I work hard for my money--I'm sure SP's parents do, too)! That's the same thing as throwing money away!

If it were me, after a couple of days I would go ask mom if she was planning on doing anything with the chicken. If not, I would then ask if she minded if I gave it away or fed the animals with it so it wouldn't go to waste. I might also suggest, in a non-confrontational way, that wasting chickens/other animals/food really bothers me.
#19 Old 05-05-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyPyrate17 View Post

...but no one in my family eats left over meat...They killed 4 or more chickens, and she cooked them and then...grr!!!

I read that as

a) no one eats leftovers

b) they cooked the chicken for the sake of cooking it, not for eating

c) the waste is the problem
#20 Old 05-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

It seems like this is a common problem at SP's house, so it doesn't seem like leaving it is will solve anything either. They already do it, so if SP decides to do something about it, maybe mom/dad will see that there's a waste habit problem that needs to be fixed. Personally, I can't stand the idea of paying for all of that and throwing it in the trash (I work hard for my money--I'm sure SP's parents do, too)! That's the same thing as throwing money away!

If it were me, after a couple of days I would go ask mom if she was planning on doing anything with the chicken. If not, I would then ask if she minded if I gave it away or fed the animals with it so it wouldn't go to waste. I might also suggest, in a non-confrontational way, that wasting chickens/other animals/food really bothers me.

Well if its a common problem over there (I am assuming you know the poster then) the parents obviously dont care about the money wasted.

What you propose would then have the opposite effect and will, as I said before let them use him/her as the food safety net and nothing will definately change.
#21 Old 05-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I read that as

a) no one eats leftovers

b) they cooked the chicken for the sake of cooking it, not for eating

c) the waste is the problem

Add d) They killed 4 or more chickens. Grrr
#22 Old 05-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
(but no one in my family eats left over meat except when it's like a ham or turkey *gag*)

No, I don't know SP personally, but if you read the above it does say it happens.

Is it so wrong that SP say something about it or try to point out that something is wrong here? Sure, SP's parents might not care about the money and food wasted, but the odds are, they're just not thinking about it. Sometimes you have to have things pointed out to you before you notice a problem.

How do you know it will have the opposite effect? Do you know SP and her family? I agree full well with SP that the waste is horrible and I'm simply making a suggestion--she doesn't have to listen to me or Krista. Sometimes parents need to hear it from their children when they see something falling through the cracks like that. It's similar to why corporations have accountants and efficiency experts--to keep track of where the funds go in the corporation. Parents aren't always going to see everything going on or know everything that's going on. It's why communication in families/relationships is so important.

If SP does say something about it and nothing changes, at least SP will have brought her parents' attention to it.
#23 Old 05-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

No, I don't know SP personally, but if you read the above it does say it happens.

Is it so wrong that SP say something about it or try to point out that something is wrong here? Sure, SP's parents might not care about the money and food wasted, but the odds are, they're just not thinking about it. Sometimes you have to have things pointed out to you before you notice a problem.

How do you know it will have the opposite effect? Do you know SP and her family? I agree full well with SP that the waste is horrible and I'm simply making a suggestion--she doesn't have to listen to me or Krista. Sometimes parents need to hear it from their children when they see something falling through the cracks like that. It's similar to why corporations have accountants and efficiency experts--to keep track of where the funds go in the corporation. Parents aren't always going to see everything going on or know everything that's going on. It's why communication in families/relationships is so important.

If SP does say something about it and nothing changes, at least SP will have brought her parents' attention to it.

You can say what you like. My post assumed that you knew what was going on over there.

The bottom line is you both jumped in saying "dont waste" without seeing that this thread was a rant and part of the reason of this rant was that animals died in the first place.

How do I know it will have the opposite effect? Because already they dont care about how she feels about it and her "using" it up will merely continue the cycle, only it will happen more often. However having to deal with something gross like rotten meat is a real wake up call.

If she only cares about the waste then using it would be the way to go. If ethics are involved then not using it is the way to go.
#24 Old 05-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Ewww. I went over to my Mums the other day and they had cooked meatasauras pizza, then left a couple of leftover slices in the fridge, without wrapping or a plate, just sitting on the shelf stinking the whole fridge out. Even if I did eat meat it would have nearly made me retch.
#25 Old 05-06-2004, 12:39 PM

This is more of an ethics issue, but wasting food still really bothers me. Using it to make something for them would be a good thing to do, but then they might see it as "Ohp. She's using this food to make a meal for us, we should waste food more often" so on and so forth. Sounds ridiculous, but that's how it goes around here.

I told my mom that it wasn't a good idea to waste it like that, cook something for the sake of cooking a dinner, she just kind of ignored me. *thinking*

P.S. It's still in the 'fridge.
#26 Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 PM

Do you have a cat? S/he will eat it.
#27 Old 05-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay View Post

They should shove `em back in the oven, crank it up to max and give `em a good send off!

That's not a bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

Ewww. I went over to my Mums the other day and they had cooked meatasauras pizza

what's one of those?? I dread to think
#28 Old 05-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Those are some good ideas Kristadb. Let us know how they work, Scurvy.
#29 Old 05-06-2004, 05:31 PM

Put it in the freezer. It'll keep for at least 6 months. Next time someone makes a pot of soup, you can remind them that it's there so they can use it up.

I don't care if chicken is food or not, it's edible, the chickens died and were cooked, for god's sake, they shouldn't end up in the garbage.
#30 Old 05-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm bad about wasting strawberrys. I finally get an appetite for a strawberry and I go to get one and they're already moldy. : (

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page