VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Relationships and Family (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/25-relationships-family/)
-   -   Just ONE day a year! :( (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/25-relationships-family/141094-just-one-day-year.html)

anicca 05-28-2013 11:51 PM

Hi everyone,

So it's my birthday in a couple of weeks and as all my friends are omnivores I've never eaten at a vegetarian restaurant for my birthday. I suggested it to my group of friends and one of them took the view that he wouldn't be able to eat anything. My wife then jumped in with well why don't we go on two meals and if it 'meant that much to me' she'd come to a veggie restaurant even though she 'would struggle'...

I told another more open minded omni friend and she thought it was pathetic that people couldn't manage veggie for one night and she thinks I should just go ahead and book somewhere and if he wanted to not come it was his loss...The thing is I never wanted to make a big deal and divide my friendship group, I just thought he would get that for 364 days a year I have limited choice and I just wanted one day where I was spoilt for choice!!

Would you book the veggie restaurant anyway? X

leedsveg 05-29-2013 01:05 PM

Yes, it's YOUR birthday. You're allowed to think of yourself on that special day, after all it's only one day out of 365 and if somebody else really doesn't want to do without their meat on that one day, then sod 'em. furious.gif

Capstan 05-29-2013 02:29 PM

Yes, book the veggie restaurant, and have a very Happy Birthday! thumbsup.gif

Werewolf Girl 05-29-2013 05:12 PM

It's your birthday, this day is about YOU! grin.gif

And it is very very silly to freak out about not eating meat for literally one meal, if that guy is going to make such an issue of it he can always eat beforehand. This is the one day of the year that is all about you and making you happy, so don't even worry about it. Have a very happy birthday! carrot.gif

ElaineV 05-29-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicca View Post

YES!

My sister has a bunch of omni friends and she just recently had her birthday celebration at a vegetarian restaurant. She grew up vegetarian, btw, but this was the first time ever that she had her birthday dinner at a veggie place. She had friends who whined before and even during dinner, but they came anyway. They had a good time and she was happy.

Just make sure there's cake and everyone will be fine :D

LadyJane1 05-29-2013 06:19 PM

I would say yes,but if it was someone who I really wanted at my birthday I probably would be willing to switch the restaurant to one that was veggie friendly and served meat.If you don't care so much if this person shows up than I would just book it.But it is rude of the person to say they wouldn't come if it was a veg place.So after they said that I wouldn't want them there anyway.

Shauna_m 05-29-2013 06:26 PM

Yes! When my friends celebrate at a mainstream restaurant, I go because it's not about the food necessarily, but the company. So I'll order salad and fries at the very least....sometimes I get lucky and they'll have something better.

Even the vegan restaurants I go to have fries. And most of the food you wouldn't even know is vegan. They do a bang up job on their faux meats and hearty salads (much better than you get at a steakhouse!). Oh and the desserts! I've never had anyone turn down vegan cupcakes or cookies.

Your friend probably thinks they are going to be limited to salads and crappily prepared tofu. sad.gif Is there a menu you can show him?

But in the end, if he chooses not go, it's his loss. Enjoy your day and your meal!

Purp 05-29-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

So it's my birthday in a couple of weeks and as all my friends are omnivores I've never eaten at a vegetarian restaurant for my birthday. I suggested it to my group of friends and one of them took the view that he wouldn't be able to eat anything. My wife then jumped in with well why don't we go on two meals and if it 'meant that much to me' she'd come to a veggie restaurant even though she 'would struggle'...

I told another more open minded omni friend and she thought it was pathetic that people couldn't manage veggie for one night and she thinks I should just go ahead and book somewhere and if he wanted to not come it was his loss...The thing is I never wanted to make a big deal and divide my friendship group, I just thought he would get that for 364 days a year I have limited choice and I just wanted one day where I was spoilt for choice!!

It's your birthday, it's YOUR day. Go ahead and book the veggie restaurant. If your one friend whimpers and whines all throughout the meal, he's not a good friend to have. It's your day to celebrate, so go ahead, and happy early birthday.carrot.gifdancingbanana.gif

zirpkatze 05-29-2013 10:31 PM

you should go to the restaurant you want. it's one day, your day. most likely everyone will find something to eat but if someone's really worried they can eat beforehand just like veg*ns have to do all the time. don't let anyone make you feel guilty because this is not a lot to ask

anicca 05-29-2013 11:44 PM

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! Yes I am going to book a veggie restaurant and I believe he does care enough about me to at least look at the menu. If he can't find anything then like you say, screw him lol. His girlfriend thinks he's being ridiculous so he's the one looking small minded here. Not like I wished to do that to him, but I did want him to recognise it's important to me.

Cake is a good plan, he'll probably forget about all this if there was enough cake lol! X

Irizary 05-30-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

My wife then jumped in with well why don't we go on two meals and if it 'meant that much to me' she'd come to a veggie restaurant even though she 'would struggle'...

Your friend is one thing.  I'm more concerned with your wife who, even though she lives with you, seems to think she would struggle terribly without meat for one meal.

cherries 06-07-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Yes I would. Your birthday only comes once a year so do what you want.

Siv 06-17-2013 04:40 AM

"Friends" who can't come to a vegetarian restaurant for your birthday are not friends at all.

Now having said that, I would pick an Italian - partly because there are plenty of veg and non-veg choices but mainly because I love pizza! This means everyone else enjoys it as much as I do!

60225 06-17-2013 08:55 AM

I hope you have (or have already had) a lovely birthday and a wonderful veggie meal :)

(I'd definitely have booked the restaurant I wanted by the way!)

Purp 06-18-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I hope you have (had??) a very happy birthday, and I hope everyone enjoyed the veggie meal.