My boyfriend's father - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

I live with my boyfriend and I've become really close to his family.

His sister is an omnivore and she has no intentions on changing.
His mother is a pescetarian.
His father is vegetarian.
He is vegan.

His father is a little overweight, he cares for animals deeply, and he adores cheese.
There is just one thing... All of the cheeses he eats contain rennet - cow stomach. We have told him this many times and he doesn't want to listen to us. He will say that he wants to stop eating cheese, give it up for 2 days and then go right back to eating it. He has packed on a few pounds from this. He only eats cheese on pizza and he eats it at least twice a week. I guess it shouldn't bother me since it's his choice, but I'm not only worried about his weight, I don't like it how he claims to be vegetarian and then knowingly eats the pizza. I care about him deeply and I love him as if he was my own father, but he doesn't seem to understand that vegetarians don't eat cow stomach. He doesn't eat gelatin, confectioners glaze, etc but he won't stop eating rennet-filled cheese. I don't like how he knowingly consumes dead cows.

He has been vegetarian for 11 years. I really want him to become vegan or at least convince him to stop eating the rennet cheese. He won't eat cheese unless he is out somewhere, which is on the weekends.

If you have any advice on how to convince him to stop eating rennet, that would be great. It isn't vegetarian-like to eat rennet and I really want him to stop. I don't think he understands that it's in pretty much any pizza you can get from a restaurant.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

He is doing a lot more good than most people, I would honestly just not bother him about it. If he wants to change in time, he will. If you think it will make a difference, show him a fact about the rennet and that it does indeed come from cows, then leave it alone.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

All you can do is provide him with the information, if he continues to eat things that are not vegetarian that is his business. Just be glad he isn't an omni and trying to get you to eat meat everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Cows milk is no better than rennet.

As said above, obtain info, share info, how people deal with it is their problem.

There is some good vegan cheeses out there, and if the commercial vegan pizzas are not awesome, it gives you an occasion to learn how to make awesome vegan pizzas yourself. With homemade vegan cheese, the pizzas.

In any case, beware of the frontier between helping people to change and trying to force them to change, and be glad of the apparent uber blessing you seem to have with this familly.

Cheese is addictive because of some substance i forgot the name ( dixit the uni best speech ever youtube video ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#5 Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Cows milk is no better than rennet. As said above, obtain info, share info, how people deal with it is their problem. There is some good vegan cheeses out there, and if the commercial vegan pizzas are not awesome, it gives you an occasion to learn how to make awesome vegan pizzas yourself. With homemade vegan cheese, the pizzas. In any case, beware of the frontier between helping people to change and trying to force them to change, and be glad of the apparent uber blessing you seem to have with this familly. Cheese is addictive because of some substance i forgot the name ( dixit the uni best speech ever youtube video ).

Thank you. And I know cow's milk isn't any better, but I would rather someone be vegetarian than an omnivore, which is why I'm trying to convince him to stop. He preaches about not eating meat but he does not give up the rennet, which in fact is meat. Yeah, I've heard that milk/cheese has natural morphine in it and that's why it's so addicting. He likes vegan cheese pizzas, it's just that he eats the real cheese when he goes out and vegan cheese isn't available where he goes. Another thing is that I really don't want to see him become even more overweight and the cheese has a lot to do with it. At one point in time, he dropped cheese and lost about 10 lb. He is very stubborn so hopefully he will listen this time. And yes, I'm lucky and I don't take that for granted. smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page