Ever had any luck converting a meat-eater to a non-meat eater - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Zelda Freak

I've been thinking about goals (being that it's the new year and all) and sometimes I hear newer vegetarians and vegans say stuff like, "One of my goals is to convert meat eaters I meet into a vegetarian (or vegan).

BUT I've rarely seen this happen.

It seems like becoming a vegetarian or vegan is a really personal choice and not so much affected by others. Wait, let me rephrase. It seems like trying to convert a meat eater to a vegetarian is hard - I have actually seen many vegetarians who were at least semi convinced by other vegans to go vegan, but usually they were already considering going vegan. 

My question - have you ever actually converted someone? 

I think I kind of converted one person; my boyfriend's daughter, but she's also pretty independent and I mostly think I affected her choice, but didn't necessarily convert her. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I like to think I did but, I never know. I have handed out around 400 vegan outreach pamphlets. It's said that for every 50 that are handed out, 1 will go veg, so I like to think that I may have done something.

No one has ever told me though, and my friends I think are more hesistant to change when they get the information from me >_> I think it's one of those things where people don't like to feel like they're influenced so much by their friends.

Something that might help you is this book I'm reading. I'm serious, it gives you like all the tips of how to best persuade and influence people. I'm almost done reading it by now. It provides a lot of studies that show how generally people respond to situations, at least in our society. It's rather interesting. One study was done that showed that the more a victim is suffering, the more others will try to denigrate them and act like they deserve it if they are unable to help them. But when they are able to help the victim, they don't feel as big of a need to denigrate the victim. It's more like a rationalization to make themselves feel better for not have been able to do anything in that situation. You'd think the more someone was suffering the more people would feel bad for them, but it's the other way around.  It's rather sad and unfortunate that many people think like that, I know I couldn't but , unfortunately many people just aren't "Connected" yet. Anyway, that's just one study, there were plenty more interesting ones. My favorite one was that people act more ethically when mirrors or fake eyes are placed around a room xD grin.gif

If you want the best ways to influence people, this book will likely help. It also proved that people who do things for altruistic reasons are more likely to stick with a new behavior than an following an activist who tried to sway them by health or selfish reasons. So please please please, focus on the animals. I know it's true for me as well. If I was just vegetarian for health (I'm not saying vegan here because vegan was never about health), I'd allow myself to cheat. Knowing that my actions affect other beings, that means I'm connected to them, and if I cheated, I wouldn't just be cheating, me, but the animals.

http://www.amazon.com/Change-Heart-Psychology-Spreading-Social/dp/159056233X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357330795&sr=8-1&keywords=change+of+heart+psychology

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

I don't think we should put efforts towards converting meat eaters that have little to no interest in being vegetarian. 

I have however influenced people to diminish their dependance on animal products, mainly my friends and family.  It is rewarding and a much better way to put efforts to helping people eat less meat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like to claim that I've "converted" someone even if I was a major influence. It's still their choice and they deserve the credit for choosing to go vegetarian or vegan.

That said I do believe I have power to influence. I think my influence has helped many people go veg because they've told me so.

Yes, you can "convert" people by being an advocate of veganism. I find it's easier to reach out to large groups of people through leafleting, ppv, tabling, blogging, and other avenues and let the interested ones come to me for help than to target a small group (such as family) and try to convert them.
4everaspirit likes this.
#5 Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I don't like to claim that I've "converted" someone even if I was a major influence. It's still their choice and they deserve the credit for choosing to go vegetarian or vegan.
That said I do believe I have power to influence. I think my influence has helped many people go veg because they've told me so.
Yes, you can "convert" people by being an advocate of veganism. I find it's easier to reach out to large groups of people through leafleting, ppv, tabling, blogging, and other avenues and let the interested ones come to me for help than to target a small group (such as family) and try to convert them.

You and 4everaspirit actually had a lot of influence on me when it came to switching to vegan. But, I think I agree that I get the credit! Weeeee! Really though, I had wanted to go vegan for so long, so I wasn't a total convert, but I know some stuff you guys said made me think and made a difference in how fast I finally went vegan. 

I think we can help create change, but diets are so personal. Someone really has to be into the diet for their own reasons, at least partially, or it likely won't stick. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I don't think we should put efforts towards converting meat eaters that have little to no interest in being vegetarian. 

I have however influenced people to diminish their dependance on animal products, mainly my friends and family.  It is rewarding and a much better way to put efforts to helping people eat less meat.

I agree but it's hard to know if someone has any interest so maybe bringing it up even with people who seem like they'd never go veg is a good idea.

When my partners daughter went vegetarian I was floored. Totally. She was a three burgers a day type and a let's add bacon to every meal known to man type. The fact she up and out of the blue went vegetarian was the biggest surprise of my life. I had some influence on her diet, or so some think, though it was her choice all the way. I do wonder if she would have gone veg had she not lived here though. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Yes! My father, and grandmother directly as well as handing out countless leaflets and being told by a dear friend that while he went vegan for the animals, I showed him it was possible.

Also, my old ethics professor has reportedly converted dozens of students. (Not me converting obviously, but an example of a good convertor)

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#8 Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

My son converted my husband and me. smiley.gif I have cooked many many vegan meals for omnis, so hopefully they at least know that vegan food is edible! smiley.gif
Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#9 Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

not sure if i ever fully converted anyone but i have influenced people to consume fewer animal products
#10 Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never tried to convert anybody but my husband and a friend have become vegetarian. They both said it was because of my influence but I never told them what they should be doing with their diet. All you can do is let people know the reason why your are vegan or vegetarian and let them make up their own minds.
#11 Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM

Not actively converted really, but sort of. I don't like to try to "push" veg diets on people, because I find most people don't react well to that. I try to lead by example, like talking about how great I feel eating the way I do, and sharing homecooked meals and snacks with them, and posting pictures of my homecooked meals online. After a while of seeing that vegetarian and vegan food can be delicious, and hearing the impact it's made on my life, people tend to get curious and want to try it themselves.

So I've definitely been a factor in influencing several people in my life to give up meat or other animal products, without actively trying to convert them.

#12 Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM

I've had a big influence on reducing the amount of meat my boyfriend eats. We live together, so obviously that makes it easier to "follow through" for him because we cook and eat together, and I don't eat meat. He's actually more emotionally affected by animal suffering than I am in some ways (e.g. when our cat paralysed but didn't kill a shrew, he was tortured by it and kept talking about it for days after when I had kind of shrugged it off as sad but not worth dwelling over as nothing could be done to change the fact!). I showed him some of Earthlings and that decided it for him. We don't buy or cook any meat in our house, and I've even converted him to non-dairy milk (which he now prefers) but he does still eat cheese. I am trying to be completely vegan and recently said I won't be eating eggs anymore or any products that contain eggs, which he freaked out about at first. But I think he's coming round to that too. He let me make us vegan French toast for breakfast the other day and yeah it's not as great as with egg, but it's nice enough and he seemed to accept it. He's always willing to try alternatives and if he doesn't hate them, he'll go with it, which is really nice.

He will still occassionally eat a takeaway with meat in it, but even there he's changing his choices, so that instead of having an uber-loaded-meat-feast pizza (yuck) he's tempering the meat with more vegetables. I think it won't be long before the pizza at least will be vegetarian too.

I think I'm kind of realising how people are a lot more open to suggestion than we might think. Like, when I'm talking about food with some colleagues at work they seem interested in some of the "crazy" things I eat, and sometimes I find out they've actually tried something I've told them about it, which is great. Even my boyfriend's parents have started eating veggie burgers (they're still omnis but wouldn't have tried them before) since talking to us. And I noticed my boyfriend's mom ordered a vegetarian curry when they visited and we got Indian takeaway.

People get stuck in habits, but if by example you show how it's easy to make little changes, then I think a lot of people are actually willing to make those adjustments.

#13 Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

While I haven't had so much luck with others as far as I know, my friend opened the door to the animal rights world for me. She had a big impact on my choice to be vegan <3 I love her to death, though she hardly talks to me anymore :( 

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#14 Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Crystal Lotus, that's been my experience too! My husband is not a vegetarian but eats so much less meat now and animal products in general. He really only eats that stuff like once a week, which is a huge change from someone who used to eat frozen pizza like every night. Even when we eat out now, he's been ordering veggie burgers and cheeseless pizza. It's amazing the impact you can make by just going about your life and being a positive example. :)

#15 Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Seashells, that's cool. smiley.gif Did you find you had any resistance from your hubby at first or were you veg*n before you met him? I've learned that my boyfriend has a big "reaction" at first when I tell him about changes I'm making, but if I stay calm and not argue and just say, he's free to eat whatever he wants, just as I am free to eat whatever I want and let him mull it over, after an hour or so he comes back and says, okay, he'll try it. He thought cutting out eggs was too "extreme" (he's got rather fond of Quorn products) but when I offered to show him a video on what happens to male chicks (which he couldn't look at) suddenly vegan French toast became a feasible option. rolleyes.gif

#16 Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Lotus View Post

Seashells, that's cool. smiley.gif Did you find you had any resistance from your hubby at first or were you veg*n before you met him? I've learned that my boyfriend has a big "reaction" at first when I tell him about changes I'm making, but if I stay calm and not argue and just say, he's free to eat whatever he wants, just as I am free to eat whatever I want and let him mull it over, after an hour or so he comes back and says, okay, he'll try it. He thought cutting out eggs was too "extreme" (he's got rather fond of Quorn products) but when I offered to show him a video on what happens to male chicks (which he couldn't look at) suddenly vegan French toast became a feasible option. rolleyes.gif

I was a vegetarian when we met, although I do remember it was a little tense at times in the beginning. Sounds similar to your experiences with your boyfriend. My husband is always a skeptic whenever I bring up some new and dramatic change I want to make in my/our lives, but tends to come around in time when he sees the positive results, and as long as I don't actively pressure him to make changes he's not ready to make.

#17 Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM

I converted, if you want to use that term, my brother and one of my best friends after a series of philosophical debates, and with them seeing that I could manage as a vegetarian in a time and place where it seemed like a very difficult thing to do (South Africa, 11 years ago... extremely meat-heavy culture although these days vegetarianism is definitely on the increase). My parents also cut almost all meat (except fish, occasionally) out of their diets after seeing my brother and I successfully and happily being veg. Later when my brother got married his wife became vegetarian too. And my girlfriend became vegetarian soon after getting together with me, after we'd had a few discussions on the topic... So I've got a few "conversions" under my belt, I guess smiley.gif

My blog and e-novel store:  www.JonathanMHemmings.com  
#18 Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I had success in a friend and her husband reducing the amount of meat they eat.  They went on vacation and decided to eat vegetarian for the whole trip to California.  So for 5 days they didn't eat any meat.  Her husband was suprised that he didn't have to take his Prilosec after a couple days because his acid reflux went away.  That probably did more for the cause than any amount of talking I could do.

#19 Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM

I've converted three, all ex-girlfriends, but not really through any personal persuasion.  Although I suppose with one I did sulk a bit if ever she ate meat/fish (if you count that as persuasion!).  They all went veggie for me.

Unsure if any of them are still vegetarian.  One is currently going out with a veggie so you never know.  One I saw eating what I suspect to be a normal sausage in a photo on Facebook.  The other I've no idea.  

The problem with them going veggie for me is that once we split up they'd no real reason to do it anymore.

Who knows, maybe my example changed some of their beliefs, but to be honest at the time all I cared about was that they were veggie not their reasons behind it.  I hate preaching to people and am not so good at subtle persuasion.

#20 Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM

I got my cousin to go vegan for about 9 months, but he now is back to being a full on meat eater :(

#21 Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpie View Post

One I saw eating what I suspect to be a normal sausage in a photo on Facebook.

This cracked me up. Another dimension to Facebook stalking: following up on whether ex's have stayed vegetarian after you've broke up or not through incriminating photos. Lol. (I'm not suggesting you're stalking your ex's obviously, but the situation strikes me as funny.) grin.gif

#22 Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kory View Post

I got my cousin to go vegan for about 9 months, but he now is back to being a full on meat eater :(

Oh no, that sucks. How come he went back to eating meat? Nine months is quite a long time to be vegan. If someone was going to be flakey about it, you'd expect them to give up after a couple of weeks.

#23 Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

My friend is still vegetarian after watching Vegucated with me and is even telling people about it! It's been at least a few months and he shows no signs of stopping.

He's gone vegetarian before due to my influence and flip flopped a bit but I think he's going to stick with it for good this time. I wouldn't say I converted him but I certainly had a hand in it. wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#24 Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Over 2 or so years I've gotten my family to be meat free. It's taken a while with some bumps and falls but they genuinely want to help animals and the planet. I try not to put as much pressure on them since none of them really do any research other than asking me questions. Or cook their own food past whatever comes out of the freezer. I make most of the meals and try to vary them from week to week as well as provide plenty of fruits and treats to show that it's not boring, especially when they have friends over.

The first one I turned meat free was my boyfriend, but he couldn't stick to it. The next surprised me because it was his oldest daughter and she was able to stick with it a lot better. Then his kids went to visit their carnivore mother and turned them back to meat and junk eaters. After a few months of hell they both slowly turned back to a healthier diet and went vegetarian. My boyfriend was done with meat by that time so there was no more meat in the house by the end of last year.

I've since gotten 4 new vegan cookbooks and haven't really touched animal products since. Most of the things they eat at home are vegan but I can't speak for what they eat at school or friend's houses. They usually tell me because they're excited to find healthy options and are proud of themselves.

#25 Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlock View Post

...I've gotten my family to be meat free.

This is my dream!  :)

#26 Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Beginner

I like to think that I have planted a seed that maybe will give my meat eating friends a thought about maybe going vegan after a good vegan meal and showing them its not so boring after all. I would like to think I have at least had an influence on them to change.

#27 Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM

I'm only just starting myself, so no, haven't converted anyone - yet.  My husband is being pretty good about being mostly on board.  I don't know that he'll ever go completely vegan like I plan to, but he is at least welcome to the idea of eating a more plant based diet most of the time.

I have a good friend who I think is ripe for convincing - I think what will really persaude her is how terrible meat production is for the environment.  All this stuff I'm learning - I keep feeling suprised because I would have expected her to make this change, not me.

In general, though, I likely won't be a pushy short of person when it comes to what to eat.  I will let people know and will probably blog about yummy vegan meals from time to time, but I don't see myself as ever telling someone "you should be veg*n too."  My hope is to pique someone's interest and then give them more information should they seek it.

#28 Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, my partner, who's totally on board now and doesn't miss meat at all - if anything he's happier with the meat substitutes in hot dogs, chicken style chunks and burgers because he knows he can basically trust what goes into them. I'm working on my Dad and though he generally agrees that it's not ethical to kill animals just to eat them and it's healthier to be veggie too, it's trickier for me to make it as easy for him to change his habits as it was for my partner, as I can't oversee the shopping and cooking like I can for my partner and I!

Werewolf Girl likes this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#29 Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 AM

No, because I don't try to convert anyone. Everyone is his own lucks blacksmith, so I don't argue with them needlessly.
If one wants to eat meat he eats meat, if he doesn't then he doesn't its as simple as goes. In my opinion, the only you achieve by trying to convert someone is, that he gets grumpy and when you pester to much he will yell at you or shut you out of his life.
#30 Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

I was a vegetarian about 8 years ago, and back then, I did notice that a lot of people were inspired by me, or at least by seeing that I was doing it - that it could be done, and that I was happy and healthy. I know at least one person switched to vegetarianism after spending time with me, and to the best of my knowledge she is still a vegetarian. That makes me feel good. I myself slipped off and went back to eating meat for several years. I even married an avid meat-eater, whose family owns a very successful butcher shop - they eat 2-3 kinds of meat at every meal and laugh at vegetarians. About 3 years into my marriage, I accidentally happened upon a TERRIBLE film - one of those nightmarish factory farm footage things. I'd seen those videos before, but this one was worse than any I'd seen before. I became deeply saddened, crying and lying in bed for hours. And I just knew I couldn't do it anymore. How could I be a part of that? So I've given up meat again - for good. My husband wasn't thrilled, but he's been pretty supportive (besides a few jokes here and there). My problem is, I want to stop supporting the meat industry, but as a family, we still are. Sure, my not eating it cuts down on the amount we buy, but I still feel I've a hand in this horrible process. It would be a dream come true (and an unequivocal MIRACLE) if I could get my husband to "cross over" and to have him and my daughter be vegetarians as well. He deals pretty well with 2-3 dinners per week being vegetarian (although he does sometimes make comments about how he wishes he had a steak or something on the side) - I have also fooled him a couple of times, making dishes so good he didn't even know they did not contain meat! But I wish I could touch his heart. His callousness to the suffering of animals disturbs me. He watched the same video I did and I could tell he didn't want to watch it but he still didn't seem very bothered by the violence of it. Is there any way of tapping into the soul and emotions of someone with limited empathy and compassion towards animals? He is a kind hearted person in most areas but this is one thing he just doesn't seem to have a heart for. It makes me sad. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page