Approaching Omni Roomie About (Lack of) Food Safety - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Beginner

I can be a horribly insensitive person, but I want to keep on good terms with the people I live with.

I have a room mate who is a meat eater. I am vegan. Even so, I know she leaves meat sitting in the sink to thaw FAR longer than it is safe to do so. Honestly, the sight of meat does not bother me as my family at home eats it. I am not the cleanest person, so I get leaving things for later, but this could make her sick.

How can I tell her that she's endangering herself (and anyone else who uses the kitchen) without making it confrontational or about eating or not eating meat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

maybe look for an article, list or guidelines you can print out and post on the fridge or around the kitchen that lists food safety standards and proper meat handling.
#3 Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM

I would make it clear right at the beginning that this has nothing to do with her diet, but that you're concerned for her safety. Then do what luvourmother said and give her a link to an article or something. She should understand that you're not trying to be confrontational, just caring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Agree with the chart. It is very unsafe to leave meat sitting in the sink to thaw.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you should talk to her directly. An article/etc might be helpful in backing you up, but just posting one on the fridge seems really passive-agreesive to me, and in my experience, is the sort of thing that builds tension with room mates. I think it's important to talk to people face to face rather than leaving notes/signs/posters to eachother - it's what a lot of people do to try to resolve differences without a confrontation but I think it just leaves people feeling attacked, and without the oppertunity to discuss it properly.

I'd just have a normal conversation with her, let her know that I was worried and it didn't seem safe to me, maybe suggest she could look it up online to check - that way you're not saying "You're wrong" but "I think you might be wrong, maybe you could check to make sure you don't get ill" and it gives her the oppertunity to find the info for herself and both save face a bit, and also people tend to respond better to finding things out for themselves rather than being told.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page