I fear for my safety every day.. I'm being cyberbulied/cyberstalked. Help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
adapt. evolve. become

There is at least two people involved, possible three or four. Or more, I really don't know.
Ever since the first of May, I've been in constant fear.. of my safety, my pet's, and my family.. On May 1st, all my personal information was put up on a website, which I did report. However, that did not stop him from just putting it back up again. As far as I know, this is because I apparently cannot take a joke, because they said some rude stuff about me, because I have pet rats. I'm horrified.. I don't know what to do.. I don't know who can help me.. I can barely sleep anymore, and when I do sleep I fear something bad is going to happen.. and I'm a heavy sleeper. I never felt this awful in my entire life. I've been having suicidal thoughts because of this mess... I don't want to die, but I don't want to live in constant fear either.. I just want it to stop... But I fear that it will just get worse. And I thought I had problems before this.. Oh God.. I thought if I blocked them, they'd leave me alone. I was dead wrong. They are set in finding any way they can to reach me. And I am completely scared out of my mind.
The personal information they put up include: my address, phone number, birthday, all the emails they took, my family's contact info..

All we are is dust in the wind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

FFS!

I hope we have someone here who knows what to do about this kind of stuff.

Small comfort PH, but you may consider this ...

Apart from whatever perverse pleasure these people are getting from safely harrasing a cyber-victim; It is VERY unlikey that anything going on online is making anyone a greater actual threat to you than you encounter every day from randomers on the street.

Absolutely disgusting thing to do to anyone this is
#3 Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

The personal information they put up include: my address, phone number, birthday, all the emails they took, my family's contact info..

I don't know exactly what could be done in this type of situation. Have you contacted the police?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

As much as this is affecting you, I would definitely contact the police and explain the situation. Cyber bullying has become a huge problem and it shouldn't be ignored. It sounds like what they have done has not only made you feel threatened, but also been an invasion of your privacy (posting personal information and private emails).

I hope you can get it all sorted out and feel safe and secure again.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#5 Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

First things first, report it to the police. There probably isn't much (or anything) they can do, but do it now. The bullies/stalkers probably won't do anything other than what they've already done, but you never know, so report it now.
Second, don't use the same username/handle for things. Have a different one for each website, or a different one for every couple websites (depending on what they are). Basically, have different usernames for each main websites (banks, things that house lots of personal information, even photo websites, etc.) and then use a couple other usernames for less important ones. Have a different password for every login you have too. You can use something like Keepass if you don't think you can remember them all. Make sure all the profiles you have are set to private.

Since they have your emails, I'm assuming they got into your email? If so, 1. Change the password. 2. Go though all the account information and make sure they didn't set up an email or phone number so they have have password changes sent to there. 3. Change the password again. 4. Get another email account, using a different username.

Also, search your name, with and without quotes, your name and city, your name/usernames and certain keywords about you, as well as usernames you use, passwords you used, certain sayings you've put online, names of your family and animals, stuff like that, and see what shows up. If you see links that are led straight to you, try to get rid of it (delete unused accounts, old posts/comments you don't want up anymore, etc.), so when the search engines refresh their data, it'll be gone.

Do you think you personally know these people, or are they just random strangers?

Edit: Check these out

http://quitstalkingme.com/
http://www.boston.com/ae/books/gallery/cyber_safety/
http://www.cyberbullying.us/
http://wiredsafety.org/

Mainly for kids but still:
http://www.ncpc.org/topics/cyberbullying
http://www.stopcyberbullying.org

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#6 Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Im so sorry this is happening to you. You are such a lovely person!
I wish I could do something.
#7 Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

Contact Police and give as much info as u have about the people harassing you.

Contact the administrators of the website/s this happened on and report the perpetrators.

Contact your email provider and report the violation.
#8 Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I thought the police was for people who need immediate help, like say if he actually broke in my house.. I would call. There has to be someone to call about this, though. But who..?
And the thing is, my mom likes to take the phone to work, in case her car breaks down. ._. So at nights, when things are most likely going to happen, I wouldn't be able to dial 911..

#9 Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have a lesser emergency number(In the UK we have 999 for Emergency or 111 if its not that serious)...or even a local Police Station you can go to and report it?
#10 Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
adapt. evolve. become

There probably is, but I never learned what the number is.

#11 Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

#12 Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any advice. All I can do is send my love and support and best wishes for you to solve this difficult situation.

Laura
#13 Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There probably is, but I never learned what the number is.

You should see it in a phone book or something. I normally have that number on my phone just in case.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#14 Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Report it the police!
They take internet harrassment VERY seriously these days!
Im sorry
#15 Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

You could also go to the court house and see about a restraining order of sorts, I think.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#16 Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry. I went through the exact same thing four years ago, and it went on for three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

First things first, report it to the police. There probably isn't much (or anything) they can do, but do it now. The bullies/stalkers probably won't do anything other than what they've already done, but you never know, so report it now.
Second, don't use the same username/handle for things. Have a different one for each website, or a different one for every couple websites (depending on what they are). Basically, have different usernames for each main websites (banks, things that house lots of personal information, even photo websites, etc.) and then use a couple other usernames for less important ones. Have a different password for every login you have too. You can use something like Keepass if you don't think you can remember them all. Make sure all the profiles you have are set to private.

Since they have your emails, I'm assuming they got into your email? If so, 1. Change the password. 2. Go though all the account information and make sure they didn't set up an email or phone number so they have have password changes sent to there. 3. Change the password again. 4. Get another email account, using a different username.

Also, search your name, with and without quotes, your name and city, your name/usernames and certain keywords about you, as well as usernames you use, passwords you used, certain sayings you've put online, names of your family and animals, stuff like that, and see what shows up. If you see links that are led straight to you, try to get rid of it (delete unused accounts, old posts/comments you don't want up anymore, etc.), so when the search engines refresh their data, it'll be gone.

Do you think you personally know these people, or are they just random strangers?

Edit: Check these out

http://quitstalkingme.com/
http://www.boston.com/ae/books/gallery/cyber_safety/
http://www.cyberbullying.us/
http://wiredsafety.org/

Mainly for kids but still:
http://www.ncpc.org/topics/cyberbullying
http://www.stopcyberbullying.org

Do all this, and also, do not delete any old pages or profiles or accounts. Leave them up as decoys. I learned this the hard way. If you disappear they will just keep looking.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#17 Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you share anything about the nature of the cyberbullying/cyberstalking? What are they doing exactly? Making phone calls? Sending mail? Sending internet messages?

Honestly, while you should take reasonable precautions, I don't think you have much to be afraid of in terms of physical safety. If it's just a few people on the internet who are upset that you "couldn't take a joke", I seriously doubt they will want to actually hurt you or your family. Also they will get bored of it before too long. The less attention you give them the better, because that means they will get bored of it faster.

Regarding the psychological side, that doesn't sound good. From reading your post, that is the main thing that concerns me. Have you talked to your family about it? If not, I think that would help. Also, have you considered talking to a counselor or therapist?
#18 Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Well, if they are putting up my information, wouldn't they want to use it..? I keep reporting it, but they put it up every. single. day. Everyday I've been looking up my name, and I find that website. Again and again. So I report. It gets taken down. It gets put up again. Repeat. I just changed my phone number, because they kept calling. I don't know if it'll put a stop to it, but it's worth a shot. Maybe after a while, it'll stop.. It would get annoying putting up the same info day after day, and eventually they'd have to stop and think about why they are doing it, and if there's even a point to it.
Other than that, I can't say my life has been great either. I think I may be depressed. I've had suicidal thoughts before this, but now they're happening more often. I haven't told anyone. I failed out of college a few months ago... I feel like a huge loser

#19 Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

You can find your local police station by searching online for your city name and police station. Like if you lived in Somewhereville AK just type in Somewhereville AK police station. Call the station and ask how to report something like this and they'll be able to help you or give you the appropriate number to call.

I am really sorry this is happening to you and I'm also really sorry that you are depressed. If you are having suicidal thoughts then please seek help. You seem like a really lovely person and you are most certainly not a loser. I wish I could give you a hug right now!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#20 Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

^^Yes. Definitely file a report with the police, as soon as possible. If the administrator of whatever website it is is allowing your info to be reposted over and over, they've got a serious problem.

Major hugs to you.
#21 Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Well, if they are putting up my information, wouldn't they want to use it..?

Seems like they're "using it" to taunt you from a safe distance and they know simply putting it up is a form of harassment. Otherwise what do they mean to accomplish by posting it? They already have it and it seems doubtful other random people will see it and decide to join their cause of harassing someone. So I think the main reason they put it up is just to scare you. But I'm just guessing... I don't know that much about the situation.

I think it might help to seek out support of family, friends, and/or a mental health professional. Also I think the most important thing to remember when you're going through a low point in life is that it's temporary. It's natural to feel depressed about something like failing out of college (which happens to lots of people). And getting harassed obviously doesn't help things. But the bad feelings (as well as the harassment) won't last forever and there's still plenty of paths you can take in the future.

I do hope you can get the harassment stopped sooner rather than later though!
#22 Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought the police was for people who need immediate help, like say if he actually broke in my house.. I would call. There has to be someone to call about this, though. But who..?
And the thing is, my mom likes to take the phone to work, in case her car breaks down. ._. So at nights, when things are most likely going to happen, I wouldn't be able to dial 911..

For your own peace of mind and to be safe, get a cheap pre-paid phone that you can put minutes on as needed. And as others have said, call the police. Even if they can't do anything, you will have the cyberbullying on record and it is a CRIME. Call the cops.. that is what they are for! So sorry you are going through this.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#23 Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

For your own peace of mind and to be safe, get a cheap pre-paid phone that you can put minutes on as needed. And as others have said, call the police. Even if they can't do anything, you will have the cyberbullying on record and it is a CRIME. Call the cops.. that is what they are for! So sorry you are going through this.

Yes, having a record will be evidence if something serious were to happen. I hope it never does, though. You can get a prepaid phone for $20 at walmart.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. :hugs: you're awesome, they suck.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#24 Old 05-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't need a prepaid phone, any cell phone that's charged will do, you can call 911 on any phone without paying, do you have an old phone laying around anywhere or know someone who does?
#25 Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a bunch of stupid kids, don t worry they just want to have some fun. There is plenty of them and none of them is dangerous, except if you let yourself be influenced. Just ignore them. You have more chances to have a plane accident than to have real problems with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#26 Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Impeach the gangster

I'd report it to the FBI. Seriously.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#27 Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Beanitarian

Cyberbullying is illegal in some states. The police may not be the authority over it though--you have go Google cyberbullying laws in your state to see what can be done.

Continue to report the violations to the website owner. If the website owner is the perpetrator, then report it to the domain host. They will most likely shut the site down or block the user(s) who are posting your address.

I am not quite following why you suddenly feel in danger. Have you been threatened? If you're being threatened then call the police. It's appropriate to call 911 if you are being threatened.

Your address, phone number, etc. have probably been available on the Internet for years, though, right? There are lots of directories people can find you in if they Google you.

Beanitarian.
#28 Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

A while ago a man from my past (we were coworkers) started cyber-bullying me. He sent me nonsensical emails, photos of his penis, photos of himself flipping off the camera, etc. he had a very serious mental illness and it was clear he was off his meds. He threatened me and my sister.

The police did NOT take it seriously because I had literally no idea where he was and because the threats were vague and strange, not simple. I found better resources for help online. Unless the bullying takes place offline too then the police may not help you at all. A close friend who knows Internet security helped track down his family to let them know he was having an episode.

Like most online threats, nothing happened. After a few weeks he stopped. I'm pretty sure he got back on meds and went back to living his normal life.

For your own sanity, after you change you passwords and contact the bully's isp, it might be a good idea to just take a break from the web for a while. Let things cool down. Ask friends to help distract you.
#29 Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:

There is at least two people involved, possible three or four. Or more, I really don't know.
Ever since the first of May, I've been in constant fear.. of my safety, my pet's, and my family.. On May 1st, all my personal information was put up on a website, which I did report. However, that did not stop him from just putting it back up again. As far as I know, this is because I apparently cannot take a joke, because they said some rude stuff about me, because I have pet rats. I'm horrified.. I don't know what to do.. I don't know who can help me.. I can barely sleep anymore, and when I do sleep I fear something bad is going to happen.. and I'm a heavy sleeper. I never felt this awful in my entire life. I've been having suicidal thoughts because of this mess... I don't want to die, but I don't want to live in constant fear either.. I just want it to stop... But I fear that it will just get worse. And I thought I had problems before this.. Oh God.. I thought if I blocked them, they'd leave me alone. I was dead wrong. They are set in finding any way they can to reach me. And I am completely scared out of my mind.

I had issues like this a few months ago.

I can provide you with links relevant to cyber bullying and
cyber stalking. That is what they are doing to you.
#30 Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Well, I feel a little bit better. I don't think they'll do anything besides talk to my family and stuff like that. The only cell phone we have is pre-paid, no contract, 30$ a month. When the days expire (30 days for 30$) it has to be renewed. Is there a phone where I only have to pay on the days I use it..? Because I just want it, in case something ever happens. Or could I just get a pre-paid phone and not use it except for dialing 911?
And I was told all the things that I am going through could be caused by depression. I mean my memory loss, 24-7 fatigue, my problems with concentration, all that. Because it's been going on for a while.. even before I failed out. except for the 24-7 fatigue, that has been going on for 9 years. I wish I could find an answer to that too. I'm thinking either depression, or it's my thyroid, or my hormones, or maybe I'm vitamin deficient. I never really had a healthy diet. And a year or maybe a few months before the fatigue ever started my dad put me on anti-depression meds. I don't even know what for.. I wasn't depressed, I was quiet.. lol.
Btw, any way to change a user name here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page