Veggie/Vegan women... (veg women dating omni men) - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 06-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend is an omni but eats a lot less meat then before he met me. He doesn't eat meat in front of me though, and even took me to my favorite vegetarian restaurant and loved it.

I guess if I was to marry someone though, I would hope that they would become a veggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not really "content" to date meateaters. However, I have never met a veg*n male, of any age, anywhere, ever. The next best thing I've found so far are guys who eat very little meat, love pets and respect my diet. My guy right now had a discussion with me about how to cook tofu! His family is asian so he grew up in a household where tofu is actually normal, hehe that made me so happy. Except he loves seafood and it smells so awful I couldn't stomach my dinner at the Thai restaurant we went to. *sighs*

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I broke up with the last bf because of this. Well, not JUST because of this, but a really huge turn-off with him was his mentality. He'd never gone hunting but he wanted to. He didn't understand why it bothered me that he wanted to . . . "doesn't it only matter that he HASN'T killed anything?" (his argument). He just didn't understand the concept that..no he's not technically a hunter, but he has the mentality of one as he has no moral qualms about shooting an innocent animal in the face (or wherever they shoot them). And he tried to understand my vegetarianism, even went vegetarian for a week to see what it was like, which I appreciated, but he just didn't understand the concept of animal rights on any level at all. Sorry, that was just a bit of a rant there lol! There were other things I didn't like about him either that led to the breakup, mainly the fact that he was manipulative and clingy. *more ranting* okay, done now

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#153 Old 06-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Beginner

"Ack, no. I don't want people to learn from me. That's my whole point. Each relationship I've had, the women have learned from me, and I've learned how difficult it is for people to change how they think. I DONT WANT TO CHANGE PEOPLE. Let them change by themselves."

I think people are constantly learning. We learn from every new experience, especially relationships with people. Every new friend I make, I learn something from. with every new relationship I enter, I learn more about what I want, and how to deal with different situations. I think it's GOOD to learn from each other.

Ultimately, I want to person I marry to be veggie. But in the meantime, dating helps me learn more about myself. Since I'm not in it to spend the rest of my life with mr, saturday night, I don't mind dating meat eaters. My one rule: they can't eat meat in front of me. In the end I think I'm actually helping the animals by dating meat eaters. We are bound to have conversations about vegetarianism, and I can point out things to them (and send them to websites) that they haven't thought about before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 06-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not a big problem for my boyfriend and I- we respect each other's eating habits. I couldn't help but fall in love with him
#155 Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBiker View Post

Hmm, well there aren't many veggie guys out there and the thought of kissing a mouth that had just had meat in it was just too nasty for me to deal with. (I'm one of those veggies who can't comprehend that meat eaters put dead animals in their mouths. Ewww!)

My solution to the problem: make your own vegetarian. I've had three boyfriends (counting my fiance) and they all knew that if they wanted to go out to dinner with me or have a kiss goodnight, they had to be vegetarian. All three went veg and all three have stayed veg. Maybe I'm demanding, but I like to think that I'm just that irresistable

this has happened with my past and present g/fs as well.... i think any woman who stays with a guy who continues to eat meat either just doesnt care or is too thick headed to listen and understand... if i ate meat and a girl i dated was a vegetarian i would have become one pretty easy...
#156 Old 06-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

oh yeah, I too would initially date a meat consuming woman at first but in the past it has never lasted long and they quickly eat the same things i eat. I find most women eat healthy things or can change to eat healthier... some dont, my one friend she craves burgers, hot dogs, steaks etc.... like ive never seen before... shes really strange and her case is not too common among the younger adults.

If ever the female i dated still ate meat and wouldnt change over for whatever reason, it would wear out really fast and sooner or later, could take 4-6 months though maybe, id boot her right out the door, sooner or later it pisses me off to the point that i dont care about them anymore and loose interest.... I could NEVER live with a girlfriend or wife or kids that ate meat. My kids wont ever and my g/f doesnt anymore and said she could never eat meat again.. thats that, people who get married and have seperate fridges... you really want that? I dont even like the smell of other peoples toasters, microwaves and ovens b/c they reek of animal fats/juices and smells.

For the money i earn and put to more expensive foods that are vegan/vegetarian/ or still animal related but kinder to the animals...... It would be a stalemate approach to thinking your helping animal rights issues when your partner is out buying meats etc.... when your married your money is their money and in no direct correlation will my money go to something like meats or milks or drugs and products that are tested on animals from proctor and gamble crap companies... If it doesnt say not tested on animals, i dont buy it....even laundry detergent, if its available ill get it.
#157 Old 06-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like a veggie guy....of course right now I'm not 'dating' anyone. But I cant' see myself with a big time meat eater ever again. I did that once, much to my own detriment.

B
#158 Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycoolcats View Post

this has happened with my past and present g/fs as well.... i think any woman who stays with a guy who continues to eat meat either just doesnt care or is too thick headed to listen and understand... if i ate meat and a girl i dated was a vegetarian i would have become one pretty easy...

there, you've just managed to insult about half the women on this board! I've been with my partner for eight years. He's wonderful in many ways. Should I dump him because he still eats the occasional bit of meat?
#159 Old 06-23-2005, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Obviously Mycoolcats wasn't thinking clearly when he posted that. Unless he thinks all guys are submissive, or like to be persuaded to do things they wouldn't normally do?
#160 Old 06-23-2005, 08:39 AM

I feel that there's such a vast gap between the world views of the vegan and the meat eater that we're different species, becoming vegan is like taking the red pill from Morpheus and seeing things as they really are.
#161 Old 06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post

there, you've just managed to insult about half the women on this board! I've been with my partner for eight years. He's wonderful in many ways. Should I dump him because he still eats the occasional bit of meat?

And if you have any meat eating kids, you can kick them out too while you're at it.
#162 Old 06-23-2005, 08:51 AM

If it's an occasinal bit of meat it should be easy enough to dispense with it altogether; maybe he's grabbing a cheesesteak on the way home from work
#163 Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Beginner

I've been dating an omni.. and my only concern up to this point is being terrified that it turns into me settling for someone that isn't everything I'm looking for.
#164 Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead48 View Post

I've been dating an omni.. and my only concern up to this point is being terrified that it turns into me settling for someone that isn't everything I'm looking for.

No-one will be everything you're looking for.
#165 Old 06-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Baby Love

For casual dating, I really don't screen guys by what they eat. Its important to me that when I find a long term mate, he has similar views, especially when it comes to homelife (raising kids, not having animal heads above the mantel, etc.). I don't think I'd get along with someone who 'needed' to have bacon and sausage for breakfast, a hamburger for lunch, and a steak for dinner ... or a guy who hunted for fun. However, I'm not going to toss out a great guy simply because he wants to eat turkey with the family on Thanksgiving. Oddly enough, its proven very difficult to find 'in betweeners' who are neither gung ho about eating meat or militant about avoiding any trace of animal products.
#166 Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 PM

My last boyfriend and I actually split over my vegan pursuits. He was okay with vegetarianism, but he is staunchly against veganism and said he ouldn't live without cheeze and veal. I just couldn't imagine how scewed his priorities were if he though havarti was more important inhis life than me.

There were other things, but vegan/vegetarianism was one of the significant ones. I think one day I'll find a guy sitting under a willow tree playing a spanish guitar and sucking back the buckwheat juice.

I want to find someone who supports my beliefs and shares the similar ideals, and I don't think thats so much to ask, really. Petty differences are one thing, but i'd like to sit at the same table and eat a meal we both made together, you know?
#167 Old 06-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaerSturing View Post

He was okay with vegetarianism, but he is staunchly against veganism and said he ouldn't live without cheeze and veal.

Veal isn't exactly a dairy product?
#168 Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 AM

lol yeah, I know. He'd make me vegetarian meals and stuff and he kept his grumbles to himself, went home and cooked up some veal or whatever. His family is big on meat and meat products :P

he "accepted" my vegetarianism, but vegan? that was just too far I guess.
#169 Old 06-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Baby Love

Sometimes people are just intimidated by things they don't understand. Veganism so far off from what most people are taught is the 'right' way to eat people can feel threatened. In the end though, if someone doesn't respect you and your choices, then you are better off without them.
#170 Old 06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i used to think that i couldnt take it - having an omni bf. but i really like this guy. i mean i REALLY like him, so i got over that. i mean, he respects that i'm a vegan, he doesnt mock me, he doesnt say that its stupid. so it doesnt bother me that he eats meat... well, much. as long as i dont taste it, i'm cool.

i mean, it would be great if my guy was vegan too... buti REALLY like my bf. so it doesnt bother me nearly as much as i thought it would
#171 Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Banned

There's a great new site that just opened up called Futazi.com It's got tons of romance advice and I think some of you could really get a lot of of it. It's speciffically for those of us in high school, so it might not be for everyone.

Here's the link: http://futazi.com/romance/index.php

Let me know if it helps!

Amanda
#172 Old 06-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I just have to say, my omni boyfriend is amazing on this. My ex before him was always complaining and saying that it wasn't a meal without meat and that he hated vegetables and complaining about what a pain in the butt I was. My current boyfriend will eat veggie with me anywhere, and even cooks veggie meals for me. Not to mention when we are at restaurants he is more paranoid and cautious than I am. So it is nice to know that they actually exist, b/c I didn't think they did!
#173 Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 AM

its funny that everyone seems to come across more vegan women then guys cause it seems to be the opposite in my case...

anyways i'll have to represent vegan guys looking for a vegan gal... i just think in order for someone to really know and relate to you they have to share those big world views...

i have been told by many people that you can't have qualifications when falling in love... but everyone has some.
#174 Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycoolcats View Post

#175 Old 07-27-2005, 05:24 PM

When I first went veg my boyfriend wasn't,he did become vegatarian from my influence but I didn't force him.Now that I'm fully devoted to this lifestyle I don't think I could be with someone who wasn't,at least not after they were "educated".
#176 Old 07-27-2005, 08:11 PM

haha...who posted the orginal post? *goes to read the name.* Im gonna go find this person....
#177 Old 07-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

My husband and I (at the time boyfriend and I) decided to go vegetarian together! Never looked back.

One of my good friends is Jain, and she's had a hard time finding vegetarian boyfriends. she was pretty close to getting engaged to her last bf, but when they started talking about the wedding, and he told her that he would insist on having some meat choices at the wedding, thats when she realized that this would never work and she broke up with him.

Now she is dating yet another meat eater... he said he would not eat meat in her home but still orders meat when they eat out together. I dont see how this is going to work out any better.... i feel badly that she has been vegetarian her whole life and hasn't been able to find a veggie bf, and i got so lucky with my situation.
#178 Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

We all wish to be with people who make us happy, help lift us to greater heights and have similar values. For some of us dating omni’s who respect our veggie ways is fine. Others find dating omni’s pretty difficult. I am in the latter group. That is just the way I am. I can date omni's casually, but I never seem to see a future with them and I would hate to miss out on "the one" because I am busy trying to fit a square-peg in a round hole relationship work.

I know how hard it is to find someone who is a (real) environmentalist with a great sense of humor and a vegan (plus I don't want children). Those are four pretty rare criteria to find and then, on top of that, you still have to "click." But life isn't always easy and I am enjoying the journey.

My criteria probably makes me shallow. It is quite possible I will be single forever. And who knows, maybe someday I will fall hard for a girl who does not meet any, let alone all, of my criteria. But for now, I would prefer to wait forever, than to compromise.

I am not saying that I think there is anything wrong with other vegetarians/vegans dating omni's. I am friends with omni/omni couples, veg/omni couples and veg/veg couples. Some of those relationships are great, some are not. We all have our reasons for who we choose and who we don't choose at any particular point in our life.
#179 Old 07-30-2005, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I hadn't really thought "vegan" was one of the criteria at the top of my list...

But after reading this whole thread (yeah, late night of insomnia and I'm bored..) I have to butt in and say I am so HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY the guy I love is vegan...

I feel VERY, VERY lucky!!!!

#180 Old 07-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Isn't it a good thing though that all people in this world are different? We all have different values, and different opinions. I am glad the world is full of so many types of people.

My husband, of 6 months, is the most wonderful person I have ever known. He is kind, and funny, thoughtful, romantic and sweet, and totally adorable and sexy at the same time. He tells me I am beautiful everyday, he makes me feel better when I am upset. He would give anybody the shirt off his back.

He is happy to eat veggie meals with me, if we are going for supper at a friend's or family's house, he is the first one to pipe up and tell them I don't eat meat, if they put bacon bits on my salad in a restaurant, he calls over the waitress to get me a new one.

My point is, my husband is fantastic, and he also he eats meat. This is HIS choice, I am glad he doesn't try to change the choices I have made, so I could never justify trying to make his choices for him.

I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page