Quiet frustration in a new city. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm living with my sister in a new city. I'm not sure I fully realised how difficult it will be to live with her. I feel she's condescending and overly-critical - undermining my much-needed confidence to get out and start over. I gave up lots of really close friends in order to move country. Now, I know only family here.

I'm living in Vancouver - i've been before and I could quite easily live here (it's a great city when people aren't rioting in it...) I wish I could find new people.

I'm not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM

This sounds silly, but it is something that I can offer...
Take cooking classes, go for walks in a park, or around the city. Volunteer for things that interest you. If you have a job there strike up conversations with co workers. I would suggest bars and clubs and nightlife, but in my experience, you don't tend to find people you'd want to really get to know in these places. Of course not everyone is bad by any means! Again, its just in my experience. Don't be shy! Get out of the house! It doesn't seem like you want to be there anyway with the way your sister is treating you. And I am sorry for that. I know it must be rough. But just put your self out there. It is hard, uncomfortable, and can make you feel volunerable, but it will be worth it and help you to meet new people!
#3 Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad to see you back!

I agree with the notion that you should get out of the house as much as possible. Explore your new surroundings, go to museums, sit at cafes and read, even if you're by yourself. You won't meet anybody sitting at home.

What is your day-to-day life like there? Are you working? Taking classes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Try a new sport. I know curling is big in Canada, give it a whirl. Try meetup.com. There should be several meetups involving anything and everything you can think of. Join a church, temple, synagog, etc. My mother belongs to a senior center, and that's one thing they asked her. Not "what religion are you?" but "Do you have a support system in case you need one?" Good luck with everything, and I hope you enjoy Vancouver. Sorry about the Stanley Cup.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Veg Fest is this Sunday! Come on down and meet some people!

http://www.vegfestvancouver.com/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, you should hang out with Werewolf Girl!
#7 Old 06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the encouragement. I think it's just a lumped-together cocktail of new changes. I think i'll be fine - I highly appreciate the support. I passed my university degree with a 2:1 today - A big weight off my mind. Now I can explore the city as suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbee View Post

Take cooking classes, go for walks in a park, or around the city.

This helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I'm glad to see you back!

Thanks, it's been a while. I'm taking classes but not for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Veg Fest is this Sunday! Come on down and meet some people!

http://www.vegfestvancouver.com/

This is a really great idea - I might just do!
#8 Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanna go to Vegfest, but I'm on the island and I'm working sunday

Also, you'll be included as soon as you complain about the riots
Oh, and try the Foundation on 7th and Main. Not very great service, but the food there's pretty decent, and not so expensive. I recommend, if you haven't tried. If you have and it wasn't your type, then, well, nevermind
#9 Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you're feeling this way! I've missed you. There's a lot of good advice here.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

There's a lot of good advice here.

There is! I'm feeling a lot more positive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page