crunchy mamas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

i know some of you are here! just how crunchy are you granola mums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't guess that I am because I've never heard of that before.

What is a crunchy mama?
#3 Old 02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe. Someone who kinda fits the "hippie" shoe. That would be you, marie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

LoL - yep, guess I'm a crunchy mama.

I'm telling people all the time now that I'm moving to Texas to be a hippy (they think I'm kidding......)
#5 Old 02-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm not a mama but ever since my boyfriend saw this commercial where a guy makes fun of "granola crunchers" he calls me one all the time. another favourite phrase of his is "lousy hippy" and god forbid i forget to shave my legs/pits, i never hear the end of it

but i didn't think i really qualified as one until this past summer when i bought a pair of hemp shoes. though come to think of it my favourite "purse" is a canvas messenger style bag which has pins and patches on the front

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 02-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't really think of myself as a hippie mom, but i guess most mainstream-type people would. to me, hippies are very earthy, peace-n-love kind of people and i'm not really like that (at least, not most of the time).

but i get along with hippies fine! i like the smell of patchouli.
#7 Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

My hubby and I are totally different...I mean he is a business man (definately NOT CRUNCHY)...I do like the finer things in life though (he got me a HUGE rock for valentines day)..etc..I am girlie...but, I do everything else ultra natural.

But...I am extremely, I mean EXTREMELY crunchy!

Some crunchy things I do as a mom:

-Uses cloth diapers and wash home launder them

-Breastfeeds until, oh my gosh, the child wants to wean!

-Feeds my chilren only organic, non meat items (yes, they are omnis, but not from me)

-Uses Soy products -- no cows milk or products

-Wears the kids in baby slings (and sells them too - shameless plug)

-cosleeps (until they show me they are old enough for their own rooms)

-uses gentle discipline

I really enjoy "attachment parenting" -- my kids are my life. I guess I am CRUNCHY because I have been called that, I have been told I do things the wrong way etc...but, that is the way that feels natural to me.

--

Sarah
#8 Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I suppose compared to other mums in other places i'm not crunchy, but here i'm considered well..more odd, or crazy than crunchy.

Some people have been downright rude about our choices.

We homebirthed, breastfed almost for 2 yrs,made our own baby food, co slept, used cloth, carried Carly everywhere in a sling, had my sil tell me i was starving my 5 month old because she hadn't tasted solids yet, by the time we let her taste them at 6 months i thought sil would have social services onto me. Big problem inlaws have now is our nospanking approach.

I can only imagine the reaction to me being a vegetarian.
#9 Old 02-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

You aren't strange..my son didn't taste ANY solids until 9 months when I gave him his first smidge of rice cereal...now my daughter started at 6 months w/rice cereal because she looked at her brother with longing eyes...she tried it...and she like it...she has done everything early.

stand your ground..YOU ARE THE MOTHER...I tell people I don't give two shi*s about that they think...I make the decisions (yeah, and my husband too) about my kids' welfare
#10 Old 02-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i'm not a mama but ever since my boyfriend saw this commercial where a guy makes fun of "granola crunchers" he calls me one all the time.

I get the same thing whenever that commercial comes on. I get referred to as the 'hippy' with her lousy, smelly hippy food.
#11 Old 02-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope to be a crunchy mama someday! I'm pretty crunchy already. Luckily my guy is crunchy too so it's no problem
#12 Old 02-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I think when I'm a mum I'll be quasi-crunchy.

100% me = part crunchy.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'll be like I am now - Crunchy, but with a twang of bad behavoir and junk food. We'll have lots of cookies, but soymilk to dunk.
#14 Old 02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Ana

Crunchy as a mama with an overactive cynicism-gland can be.

Anti-government, anti-multinational, get-myself-arrested-while-protesting, homebirthing, breastfeeding, never wear shoes, move to the country kind of crunchy.

xxA
#15 Old 02-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

We'll have lots of cookies, but soymilk to dunk.

Hey--I think vegan cookies definitely qualify as crunchy.
#16 Old 02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, let's see, I'm sitting here beside my tye-dye sheeted bed surrounded by peace sign/Beatles/psychedelic posters on all 4 walls.

I judge the merits of outfits by how "Sixties" or "Seventies" they look.

I do not own a pair of pants that aren't bellbottoms.

Most of my music is from the late 60s-70s.

I own a lava lamp and a liquid light projector.

I've been to 2 Phish concerts, CCR, Rare Earth-Iron Butterfly & Sugarloaf, America.

Since about high school on, I've been referred to as "the hippie" by quite a few classmates. Someone in TV Prod last year even wrote me a skit about saving animals on my "peace farm".

But I'm not a mama.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#17 Old 02-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a mama, but many people refer to me as cruncy.

For my wedding (about 2 weeks ago) my mom made a 70's style dress for me, I wore my hair down, and wore no makeup.

I never where makeup, why start at my wedding?

People always tell me I eat like I'm on a backpacking trip (lots of granola, dried fruit, nuts, etc)

I am defently not "in style" where I live.

If I don't feel like shaving my legs, I don't.

Oh yeah, and theres that Veg*n thing going on too.
#18 Old 02-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Hey--I think vegan cookies definitely qualify as crunchy.

Chuh! Let me bake for you. My cookies are the most unhealthy chocolate greaseballs you'll ever eat. Very not crunchy. Not granola.
#19 Old 02-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmm unhealthy chocolate greaseballs...

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#20 Old 02-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of crunchy...my crunchy counterparts...does anyone have a recipe for "Healthy" granola? I posted here because I thought that maybe you guys would respond..otherwise, move this post to recipes..

-S
#21 Old 02-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

Chuh! Let me bake for you. My cookies are the most unhealthy chocolate greaseballs you'll ever eat. Very not crunchy. Not granola.

Nope. Unhealthy greaseballs are still crunchy--as long as they're vegan

(Uh-oh--unless they have hydrogenated oils in 'em. Hydro oils = definitely not crunchy.)
#22 Old 02-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh god...you know, my six year old already believes I'm the ultimate hippy Mom. She's always asking why we don't exactly 'do things' like everyone else. So I guess I'm joining the crunchy Mama club.

B
#23 Old 02-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I suppose compared to other mums in other places i'm not crunchy, but here i'm considered well..more odd, or crazy than crunchy.

Some people have been downright rude about our choices.

We homebirthed, breastfed almost for 2 yrs,made our own baby food, co slept, used cloth, carried Carly everywhere in a sling, had my sil tell me i was starving my 5 month old because she hadn't tasted solids yet, by the time we let her taste them at 6 months i thought sil would have social services onto me. Big problem inlaws have now is our nospanking approach.

I can only imagine the reaction to me being a vegetarian.

But they aren't supposed to have solids until around six months. That's extremely common medical knowledge. In fact they just did some sort of big report on this, and on how important it really is that too young infants not be given solids.

Anyway, don't get me started. LOL.
#24 Old 02-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

But they aren't supposed to have solids until around six months. That's extremely common medical knowledge. In fact they just did some sort of big report on this, and on how important it really is that too young infants not be given solids.

Anyway, don't get me started. LOL.

I think ilove you, can you drop round at my sils Most parents here start at 4 months or earlier.It's like whose baby can eat staek first race .
#25 Old 02-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I think ilove you, can you drop round at my sils Most parents here start at 4 months or earlier.It's like whose baby can eat staek first race .

yeah--my kids did not start solids till 6 mos. boy did i get crap for that. cause yeah--tis a race to consume solids, and more importantly--MEAT PASTE!!!! (baby food meat)--and i was not veg then but mostly, and i still saw no need to give my kids meat paste. and it cracked me up the degree to which parents would make a face a pureed baby food, but meat paste was fine cause they needed their protein. and--not to beat a dead horseradish, butttt we all know you cannot get protein without flesh. there is absolutely no protein in formula or breastmilk.
#26 Old 02-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

and i used cloth diapers and recycle, and use glad rags, and LOVE tye dye, and had a midwife *gasp* (from family) as they are not docs and what if something happens?
#27 Old 02-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I am glad to hear of someone else who uses glad rags. I plan on using them when I finally get my TOM again...still w/o...which is nice!!!

I love my cloth diapers...and so does my daughter...and I thought.. "why use regular pads etc. when I can launder my own?" I get all sorts of bad comments about that. Anyone tried the "keeper?"

Also..the baby food thing...argh! I didn't start my son until 9mos and daughter until 6mos (begrudgingly)--only on cereal though. I have been told repeatedly that "we can't wait until she/he gets steak" I am just like "ew!"

Why do people have to be like they are??? Where is the compassion? Why don't people think we can raise our kids the way we want?

By the way, I told my hubby about this thread..and he told me "why would you want to be known as crunchy?" He thinks crunchy is a horrible term. I like it though.
#28 Old 02-28-2004, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a keeper ordered, pads cloth or otherwise really irritate me. My mil was always trying to stick chocolate in my babys mouuth. She got quite irritated with me for not allowing it, as she still does now for not letting her give my almost two yr old fizzy drinks.
#29 Old 02-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I know all about that pressure mazza. My parents live in Mississippi, which is about as southern as you can get. When my daughter was little, and we were down there, they'd stick her pacifier in tea TEA to rinse it off. My cousin's daughter (who lives down there and is my own child's age) was on cereal at about two months, baby food by four, and solid...TABLE foods by a year. She's now six and wears a young woman's 16. They gave her ice cream and all sorts of crap. Her Mom also told me that while she was at the sitter's (a ninety yo woman), she got to eat butter right out of the dish.

The only bright spot in this is that they learned a lesson. She had another daughter and did things by the book...which was really such a relief. Anyway, I just get annoyed at that. It is a race, I got the worst looks for sticking to a plan with Madison. Whenever I visited. They just didn't understand why I wasn't in a hurry.

Anyway, you know, they're only young once...why do we always want to rush everything?

B
#30 Old 02-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Here here!!! I understand and feel your pain.

My MIL gets my kids toys that are too old for my kids..clothes that are too old for my kids..on and on..

And..I am a "wooden toys" "no sound toys" kind of mom..I specify for Christmas/birthdays and still they get these horrible noisy toys.

We also don't watch TV. I guess that makes us the Antichrist..right??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page