Driven away from society by simple minded childish people - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to become a hermit somewhere but I always get lonely! People upset me so much with their simple minded, childish, illogical thoughts.

Maybe im being childish myself. I feel drained

Anyone else feel this way?

Last year I took a month off from work because I couldnt handle it anymore. I guess the real problem is that people arent very accepting. This is just an example that im sure you will identify with. Being a Vgean or vegetarian. Noone seems to ACCEPT it.

Blah...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Find veg*ns near you! Try http://www.meetup.com/vegan/
#3 Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I wasnt focusing on the vegan thing I just meant that as an example like race tollerance could be another thing or sexism etc. It seems like people get all fired up over things that are insignificant or stupid or just plain weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

other veg folk can/are just as annoying. it's just people. you learn to deal or get far far away and deal with loneliness.

The Big Bad.
#5 Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I spoke to a councillor once. He told me to deal with reality or drop out of it. Not sure if a proffesional councilor should be condoning drug use or suicide not sure what he meant to be honest with you but sounded bad either way.
#6 Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

not trying to be cruel or anything... really...but maybe you may be a little too sensitive?
you accept yourself. that's it. who cares what others think? don't let them control your behavior. i know its not easy but being upset only takes a toll on you, not them.

Atame.
#7 Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Move to California.
Golden State.

Aim for the Bay Area, very veg friendly. And lots of pretty girls. What's not to like?
#8 Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

What's not to like?

It's expensive. Wasn't all that veg friendly when I was there. No more pretty girls than anywhere else. Mostly dealt with stupid people when I lived there, and most of the most anti-veg confrontations I had with people happened there.. I was getting C's, D's and F's in school in Missouri, moved out there, took some test, and they threw my dumb ass into an honors English class, cause I did so well on the test, by their standards.

Most suitable weather for me though, of any place I've ever lived. If I could afford it, I'm give it a try again just cause of that.
#9 Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

It's expensive. Wasn't all that veg friendly when I was there. No more pretty girls than anywhere else. Mostly dealt with stupid people when I lived there, and most of the most anti-veg confrontations I had with people happened there.. I was getting C's, D's and F's in school in Missouri, moved out there, took some test, and they threw my dumb ass into an honors English class, cause I did so well on the test, by their standards.

Most suitable weather for me though, of any place I've ever lived. If I could afford it, I'm give it a try again just cause of that.

How about we shove the California bashing?

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#10 Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

wrong thread, but Cali is way overrated.

The Big Bad.
#11 Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. If you needed a month off of work last year, you must feel very depressed and stressed. What exactly is going on at work to make you feel unaccepted? There has to be more to this story.

Are you being harassed or bullied by people at work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I spoke to a councillor once. He told me to deal with reality or drop out of it. Not sure if a proffesional councilor should be condoning drug use or suicide not sure what he meant to be honest with you but sounded bad either way.

It's hard to tell whether he's just an unprofessional counsellor or it's your interpretation of what he said. However, after all the talking about how you feel is done, those generally, are the options in this life. So he's right, but he could've put it to you in a way where he got you to realise that, but without it sounding like he's condoning dropping out.

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Kindred, this is how I feel every day... I deal with it. It sucks, but that's how it is. I could probably save up 100k over a few years and just go buy a shack and live off lentils until I die.. but that sounds like it sucks a lot more than dealing with the suffering in the city. I have most evenings free.. and those are the precious moments when I relax and take time for myself.
#13 Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

wrong thread, but Cali is way overrated.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't like watching the movies produced in Hollywood (whether you see them in theaters or have them delivered by Netflix), or using your computer to access websites such as Google, Yahoo, Youtube, Facebook, and Ebay. Or 90% of wine grown in the U.S in the gorgeous Napa Valley. Or MLB World Series Champs. Or Great Surf. Or (so I've heard) some of the best weed. Or the gorgeous highways that will take you anywhere from San Francisco to Oakland to Berkley to Santa Cruz to Los Angeles to San Diego.
Expensive? You bet. It's worth it when you want to live in a place that's this fantastic, as well as being the 7th largest economy. In the world.
Overrated? People have been flocking here since the mid-Eighteen Hundreds, at least.
Think you know California? Please. It would take you literally 24 hours just to drive the length of this state. I have a hard time believing you've embraced the people, cultures, and flavors along the way.

New York aside, I challenge you to produce a U.S. state that even compares to California.
#14 Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't like watching the movies produced in Hollywood (whether you see them in theaters or have them delivered by Netflix), or using your computer to access websites such as Google, Yahoo, Youtube, Facebook, and Ebay. Or 90% of wine grown in the U.S in the gorgeous Napa Valley. Or MLB World Series Champs. Or Great Surf. Or (so I've heard) some of the best weed. Or the gorgeous highways that will take you anywhere from San Francisco to Oakland to Berkley to Santa Cruz to Los Angeles to San Diego.
Expensive? You bet. It's worth it when you want to live in a place that's this fantastic, as well as being the 7th largest economy. In the world.
Overrated? People have been flocking here since the mid-Eighteen Hundreds, at least.
Think you know California? Please. It would take you literally 24 hours just to drive the length of this state. I have a hard time believing you've embraced the people, cultures, and flavors along the way.

New York aside, I challenge you to produce a U.S. state that even compares to California.

I love you.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#15 Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Jean-Paul Sartre
#16 Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

In my own experience, life as a semi-hermit (I've never gone all the way) has its ups and downs. I didn't miss trying to make small talk with co-workers and fellow students, enjoyed not having the external pressures of work or school life. I like being able to manage my own time, to put my energies into whatever projects, tasks I want to work on.

On the other hand, if you take it too far, do it too long, you run the risk of getting to a point where life starts to feel a bit meaningless/pointless. Perhaps ultimately life really is those things. I think it probably is. Nevertheless, it remains important, for our own human flourishing, to make meaning for ourselves, and that involves interaction with others, and for me, interaction with people specifically. I love other animals, but I need to connect with people. I certainly need time away from people, too, sometimes, but it's a question of balance.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#17 Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If I had to leave Australia, I would pick there to live for sure. I specifically like LA. The only thing that spoils it for me is the pollution in comparison to where I live. It's too much for me and I have to leave after a while so I can breathe clean air again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

In my own experience, life as a semi-hermit (I've never gone all the way) has its ups and downs. I didn't miss trying to make small talk with co-workers and fellow students, enjoyed not having the external pressures of work or school life. I like being able to manage my own time, to put my energies into whatever projects, tasks I want to work on.

On the other hand, if you take it too far, do it too long, you run the risk of getting to a point where life starts to feel a bit meaningless/pointless. Perhaps ultimately life really is those things. I think it probably is. Nevertheless, it remains important, for our own human flourishing, to make meaning for ourselves, and that involves interaction with others, and for me, interaction with people specifically. I love other animals, but I need to connect with people. I certainly need time away from people, too, sometimes, but it's a question of balance.

I totally agree with you on that.

m8itcanw8.com
#18 Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I spoke to a councillor once. He told me to deal with reality or drop out of it.

#19 Old 05-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

i've thought very deeply about just how much isolation i need. the answer to that is quite a lot. and not because other people suck. people are, for the most part, wonderful. despite that, i need the space to think and explore who i am. i'm 6 minutes from the edge of the city, which is both close enough and far enough for me.

i can't stand the idea of liiving in a house in a neat little row of a giant grid, with hardly enough space to stretch your arms between houses without touching two of them. i much prefer to live in a magical world of plants and animals, with at least enough distance from the city lights to clearly see the night sky. fortunately, my next door neighbor and i have enough combined land by less than an acre to prevent the formation of a neighborhood association within this development. i didn't move out here to be told what i can and cannot do. and i don't want the road paved either.
#20 Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Calling California "Cali" is overrated.

For Kindred, I see what you mean and I often feel the same way. The things that keep me sane are the few people who share my values, distractions like books and TV, regular sunlight and some exercise (walking or hiking), simple joys like happy baby and animals, tasty vegan food, and feeling like I'm making a difference. Being a part of something - vegan advocacy - sometimes helps remind me that hope isn't just possible, it's necessary.
#21 Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#22 Old 05-06-2011, 03:12 PM

I feel the same way. At this point I just want to be a hermit. I feel like I have given up on people. Makes me feel sad because I'm not the type who is comfortable with being a hermit.

After all, coffee is bitter, a flavor from the forbidden and dangerous realm
#23 Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

I feel that way too. Although I'm trying to tell myself that I just feel drained as I live in an extremely conservative area, where I'm judged constantly for voting Democrat, not being religious, being single and childless at the age of 29, as a woman not knowing my place shutting up sitting there and looking pretty, and of course for being a vegan. And I know that people aren't perfect in other places either, but I'm so isolated that my nearest vegan MeetUp group right now is 2 hours away from me. Although I finish my degree and can move somewhere that is more veg/leftie friendly as of this October.
#24 Old 05-06-2011, 04:02 PM

yep feel the exact same way living in middle-of-nowhere texas. i just look for people with at least some similar interest/beliefs as myself, there aren't very many, and those people keep me sane. also looking forward to graduating with my RN (in a year) and going far far away . you're def not alone in feeling that society sucks..
#25 Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Not so much. Try again.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#26 Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Holy crap. I'm glad you only talked to this person once. They should be fired.
#27 Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i've thought very deeply about just how much isolation i need. the answer to that is quite a lot. and not because other people suck. people are, for the most part, wonderful. despite that, i need the space to think and explore who i am.

It's the same with me. I like to think about things a lot, and if I'm constantly around people, I find my thoughts constantly being interrupted. It's a bit different if I'm with someone I feel comfortable telling things to as I think of them (which is not very many people). This only works if they're going to mainly listen, though, and even then, it can sometimes be distracting. I think in very abstract ways sometimes, about things that are not easy to put into words and explain to someone else.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#28 Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

i look at it like i need to bring the white noise level down to the point that i can think clearly. then i can pick and choose what i want to give attention to or develop and clarify my own thoughts. *yes, i have them*. . i will proabably never be a city dweller again after experiencing the freedom i have out here.
#29 Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is why they need to bring in a three day weekend. Give us a chance to catch up on stuff we didnt do during the week go out have fun with family and friends and one day to tottaly zone out and detach to reenergise for the onslaught of the new week. Blah feel ill why am i at work **shakes head**
#30 Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a native Californian. Home town Santa Cruz. Some of the most narrow minded people I have ever met. And those were the ones who THOUGHT they were so cool. I live further north now. In the valley and it's not bad. Cost of living is much cheaper.

Kindred, that counselor was a dangerous idiotic moron. I've tried counseling a few times and it never really worked or helped. The last lady I went to was really compassionate. She did help in some small ways but I've decided to save the money and just go on my own. I may at some time go to one again but probably not. I really don't think it works for everyone.

I agree people are often not very accepting. You do need to survive though. Looking back, it's one thing I have always done. Survive. No matter what crap job I had to do to support myself. I did it.

I don't get lonely myself. I did when I was younger I guess. Time makes things better I have found. I don't think you are alone in the way you feel though. Finding people you are comfortable with is not always easy. You may also see people who seem to have a ton of friends but most of those people are probably not real friends in the true sense of the word.

I agree that vegan people can be just as nice or bad as any other group. I don't feel part of any community because I'm vegan. I feel good myself because I'm vegan. I've mentioned on this board before that I live easy driving distance to Farm Sanctuary. I can tell you I have been completely blown off by people there. On the other hand, some people have been very nice. The shelter directors dad has been there for a couple of the Hoe Downs. Truly one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page