i need some advice - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-19-2004, 01:17 PM
goonie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 30
for those of you who didn't read my intro, im moving in june to jamaica with my daughter and husband. here is my problem... i called to see what i needed to get my daughter a passport, and they told me that i needed her dad there or a paper signed by him, or a paper saying i had full custody. the problem is that i don't know where the **** he is and we haven't seen him in 5 years. in minnesota with a unmarried couple the mother automaticaly gets full sole custody, unless the father goes to court. which he didn't do. the passport office said i needed something in writing from a laywer saying that. geee i would really like to hire a laywer, but i've spent the past 7 years spending all of my money raising my daughter. i could also try to hunt him down which could take years and ask him to sign the paper, but he would not sign it out of spite.

what the hell hould i do
goonie is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 Old 02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular
Seadolphin's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,755
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is the father's name on her birth certificate? If not, perhaps you could get around it that way (I havent read your intro, so maybe I missed a lot of whats going on). I hope everything works out for you!
Seadolphin is offline  
#3 Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular
1vegan's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,440
We've got lawyers on the board, maybe they can help?

iirc, it's bankruptor and ....mouse ?
1vegan is offline  
Sponsored Links
#4 Old 02-20-2004, 12:09 PM
goonie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 30
his name is on the birth certificate. but in minnesota if 2 people aren't married when the child is born, the mother gets full sole custody, until the father goes to court to be adjudicated the father. he didn't , there is no child support order or visitation order. the passport office just needs written proof that i have sole custody. i wish he wasn't on the birth certificate, then there would be no problem getting a passport. all of this is so frustrating, but i have some time we aren't leaving the country until the summer. and my mom said she would pay for the laywer if she had too. i do understand why the us has these laws about having 2 parents permission. i think that the laws are a good thing. im just frustrated with my situation
goonie is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off