i need some advice - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2004, 01:17 PM

for those of you who didn't read my intro, im moving in june to jamaica with my daughter and husband. here is my problem... i called to see what i needed to get my daughter a passport, and they told me that i needed her dad there or a paper signed by him, or a paper saying i had full custody. the problem is that i don't know where the **** he is and we haven't seen him in 5 years. in minnesota with a unmarried couple the mother automaticaly gets full sole custody, unless the father goes to court. which he didn't do. the passport office said i needed something in writing from a laywer saying that. geee i would really like to hire a laywer, but i've spent the past 7 years spending all of my money raising my daughter. i could also try to hunt him down which could take years and ask him to sign the paper, but he would not sign it out of spite.

what the hell hould i do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is the father's name on her birth certificate? If not, perhaps you could get around it that way (I havent read your intro, so maybe I missed a lot of whats going on). I hope everything works out for you!
#3 Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

We've got lawyers on the board, maybe they can help?

iirc, it's bankruptor and ....mouse ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-20-2004, 12:09 PM

his name is on the birth certificate. but in minnesota if 2 people aren't married when the child is born, the mother gets full sole custody, until the father goes to court to be adjudicated the father. he didn't , there is no child support order or visitation order. the passport office just needs written proof that i have sole custody. i wish he wasn't on the birth certificate, then there would be no problem getting a passport. all of this is so frustrating, but i have some time we aren't leaving the country until the summer. and my mom said she would pay for the laywer if she had too. i do understand why the us has these laws about having 2 parents permission. i think that the laws are a good thing. im just frustrated with my situation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page